News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Fun with Save States  (Read 1872 times)

BlueDude

Fun with Save States
« on: February 17, 2012, 02:11:49 pm »
So I've made a hobby out of making savestates for Rockman ROM hacks on Nestopia and using them on another hack.  >:D

Oftentimes I get interesting music and jumbled graphics. The game itself always uses the equivalent stage from itself.

For example, if I make a savestate on Rockman Exile's Air Man stage, and then load it using Rockman no Constancy, it would have messed up music, messed up graphics, and the stage layout would be that of no Constancy's Air Man stage.

However, an interesting thing happened that I've been meaning to share for a while.

I made a save state for Exile's Air Man boss (NOT STAGE - THE BOSS) and then used no Constancy on it, as normal. The arena had "DAY" written on it, I fell through the floor, and the music was a corrupted version of no Constancy's Wily Stages 1 and 2.

This kind of stuff is normal. However, when I jumped up to the gate, imagine my surprise when I went through, as per normal in the Mega Man series, into...

... the layout of Wily Stage 2! :o

I had died rather quickly, as Air Man's tornadoes still blew - they were pink garbage-things.

Normally, upon dying in Glitch World, the game loaded the normal stage (in this case, no Constancy's Air Man stage). However, here, the game loaded...

...a garishly-colored Wily Stage 2! :o

The conveyor belts in the normal game were either normal platforms (blue) or instant-death (purple). This means the stage was unwinnable.

So there's my tale of why save states are fun. Any thought?

(note: I have pictures, but they won't work on here for some reason.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:37:24 pm by BlueDude »

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
Re: Fun with Save States
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:04:22 pm »
That actually happened to me once when I used Game Genie.  I died in Air Man's stage, and when I came back I was in a glitched Dr Wily 2 stage.  See, how the game works is there are actually 16 stages, and each of the 8 stages has a second stage in it's bank that continues after the first.  Dr Wily stage 1 is contained in Heat Man's bank, 2 in Air Man's, stage 3 in, I forget, and stage 4 in bubbleman's bank.  Some stages, such as Dr wily 1 is unplayable in Heatman's stage due to the tiles being air instead of solid.  Other times it's because the ladder attribute is different, like with Blubbleman's stage where ladders are water.

BlueDude

Re: Fun with Save States
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:35:37 pm »
Cool!

I ironically don't know that much about coding  :-[

Thanks for telling me!