News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Fatal Fury Special - Neo Geo  (Read 1537 times)

Tiberious

• View Profile
Fatal Fury Special - Neo Geo
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:34:19 am »
So, I got kinda bothered by the fact that Ryo doesn't have ending or 'Continue?' text, and I set about to fixing that.

I tracked down where the text is stored, and figured out the format for the pointers (dead simple) after byteswapping the 1st program ROM. Then, I copied Terry's text to what I thought was a sizable blank area (all FFs), as I had to overwrite the first few characters for the new pointer. This also pointed to the blank spot, where I added in the relevant text for Ryo. I saved, swapped back, and popped into the .zip file.

Well, turns out I had mostly the right idea. The funky 'AAAAAAA' display was caused by the game trying to read data where it shouldn't be, and adding the extra pointers fixed that.

The main problem is, what I thought wasn't used, actually was. I encountered all sorts of funky glitches with sprite positioning, behavior, and so on.

My question is, then, what kind of pattern would I want to look for in a Neo-Geo game that would be considered 'padding'? I'm not too concerned about getting the messages into the message viewer (via debug dip switches), only that they show at the proper time without pooching anything else.

If there's anyone that's looked into this, please let me know. Thanks.

February 07, 2012, 02:17:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, so this is a double-post. I did manage to get my text into the game, and even managed to make the message viewer show them. Not only that, I'm almost certain that with some optimization, I can even fit the Spanish version of the text in.

Seriously, some of the Spanish text already there is horrendously wasteful. They did ridiculous crap like insert a ton of spaces to fake a line break, when a line break byte exists. Considering there are 62 quips in this block, I can likely make everything look completely elegant, unlike the English text hack.

Unfortunately, I... don't exactly speak Spanish. Neither does SNK, really, so... I'll have to see what I can come up with that might fit.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:17:46 pm by Tiberious »