News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project  (Read 34582 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:09:05 pm »

Update By: justin3009

--Mega Man X3 is a game that most would consider to be the first in the series in which Zero became playable.  Unfortunately he was cut to be a very minor character with him being barely playable for more than 20 seconds per level.

This project aimed to incorporate Zero as a major character and also allow full use of him.  Now many of Zero's attributes consist of: Use of sub-weapons, gathering energy tanks, use of Ride Armors, charging weapons, use of capsules and much more!

With this group effort of two different communities chipping in the fully playable "Zero Project" is officially done!--

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,11130.0.html)

Goveynetcom

• Mad Man
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 09:01:51 pm »
Glad to see this finally done :D!
You may want to include in the notes that the rom has to be headerless, couldn't see that if it was in there though.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:38:02 pm »
Oh you're right!  I popped it into the description box.  Thank you for noting that!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:53:38 pm »
Good job on getting this done!
I'll test it when I can.

Cait Sith

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:08:35 am »
I'm new here.
I had played for a while.
But  Sometimes I found Zero became invisible,and can't get hurt,was it a bug?

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:46:21 am »
looks fun

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:44:16 am »
That might be possible.  What were you doing at the time when you were damaged and by what enemy in what level?

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Cait Sith

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:11:59 am »
Not only When I fight the Bosses,but also the cmmon monsters.
But I think  it happenes more when I fight Bosses.
Here are two pictures´╝Ü

Finally,I think I've found the reason:
After a robot made me hurt,if I quickly used the Z_Saber  to cut him,
then I would be invisible all the time,no matter whom he was.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:01:52 am by Cait Sith »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:56:08 am »
Yep that's what I thought it was.  That should be fixed for sure

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:14:42 pm »
You know what?  Your release makes Mega ManX3 play the way I always thought it should have turned out.  My brother and I used to play and Zero was essentially useless because his death meant "adios".  Well done.  To my thinking, you fixed the game and made it the way it should have been in the first place.  Amazing work.  Now if I can just find the time to play it. :)
When Reason Fails

Burzy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »
Agree with Nec5 100%.  Excellent work!
Video I made for a game I love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdX7apGn0xM

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 11:59:11 pm »
thank you for this :), now if only it ran on snes9x TYL for the PSP it'd be perfect ;).

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 07:29:13 am »
Yeah, thank you. This hack rocks.
Now I only have to get a good joypad to enjoy it fully. Sidewinder sucks so hard...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:38:55 am by RetroHelix »

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 02:28:46 am »
Yeah, thank you. This hack rocks.
Now I only have to get a good joypad to enjoy it fully. Sidewinder sucks so hard...

Oh, hai thurr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjLI3rNkzk
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:33:52 am by WeebeeGeebee »

tca8888

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 05:48:45 pm »
Hey guys, I'm new to this whole thing but when I say a full playable zero I had to get into it. Being a total n00b though I don't know how to make a functioning rom out of the ips. I downloaded lunar and some other app to wipe the headers from an smc I downloaded separately. lunar said the patch was successful but i can't get it to run on zsnes. Is it the emulator? or am I doing the patching wrong. I would really like to play this game, thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

SamhuffyX4

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 07:43:29 pm »
Is this compatible with ZSnes?  :-\

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 10:28:55 am »
It should be compatible with any emulator as far as I know. Works just fine on ZSNES. Just make sure you're applying the patch to an unheadered rom.

lifeisabeach2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 04:29:35 am »
Hi Justin3009, thank you for updating the mod with V3.0 and it's definitely a great work!  Although I have discovered a few bugs with this version after some testing:

1.)  When X obtains the Z-Saber and his Hyper C. is also charged up, switching from the Hyper C. back to the X-Buster would result in X not able to fire up the Z-Saber until either he dies or beats/quits the stage.  This bug appears to be a major show-stopper for the gameplay.
2.)  Zero's second air-dash is only possible to be performed when "Forward + A" are pressed.  Pressing "A" alone without the Forward button can only perform a single air-dash, not double.
3.)  Although this was an intended design, but Zero's double-consumption for his sub-weapon usage isn't ideal.  The sub-weapons are easily emptied while the bosses are still alive.  The game also becomes increasingly difficult if Zero dies during a boss-fight and re-spawns after already emptied his sub-weapons.

Z-Saber bug tested with the following password:

Looking forward to the amazing V3.1 that would resolve these bugs!

MangKanor

• ey b0ss gibe da pusi pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 08:04:02 pm »

So I found a fatal glitch on the ROM where the game freezes and you have to reset the game.

Here's how to do it:

First and foremost, you have to let Zero die to the mosquito mini boss in Doppler 2 to get the X-Saber. Then go to the Boss Rush and beat all of them but finishing Blast Hornet last. How you finish off Hornet is how you do the glitch. You have to leave 6 HP or below on him. Then you use a charged Gravity well to kill him, but when the animation is on-going, pause the game and switch to X-Buster. Then when you leave the room, the game will switch you to Zero, which is impossible when Zero got severely damaged earlier to get his saber from him. Then as Zero, just play the game normally until the end. Then when you just defeated Sigma and after climbing the walls with lava chasing you, the cutscene with Zero confuses the game and it freezes. How? Because Zero isn't supposed to be playable at this point and X should be taking his place with Doppler saving him. But since it's Zero, there's no one taking his place because he's damaged.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:43:38 pm by MangKanor »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 01:52:47 pm »
That's.. really weird.  I'll have to check that one out for sure.  There's no reason why the game would set the character check value and PC value to be Zero when X is on screen.  Huh.

Edit: Figured it out.  It has nothing to do with Blast Hornet or any enemy.  For some reason when the Charged Gravity Well is activated, it stores 08 to 7E:1FFF (Character Check).  Not sure why this is, that's really weird.

Edit 2: Fixed.  The culprit was this.

Code: [Select]
$04/A266 A9 08       LDA #$08                A:000C X:0000 Y:0076 P:envMXdIZC
$04/A268 0C FF 1F    TSB $1FFF  [$06:1FFF]   A:0008 X:0000 Y:0076 P:envMXdIzC

Offset in hex is 02:2266.  A9 08 0C FF 1F should all be 'EA' so when Gravity Well is used, it doesn't store that value to the PC checker.  There's no reason for it to do so in the first place.  That's if anyone wants to manually fix this bug themselves on their ROM.

I won't update the patch though until I get back into the game fully and fix every bug noted thus far.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:00:34 pm by justin3009 »