News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Journey to Silius Plus  (Read 10466 times)

alzen

• View Profile
Journey to Silius Plus
« on: January 07, 2012, 04:10:48 pm »
I sure am happy to introduce my project to You. It aims to fix the known bugs and to make the game more attractive to players. The game itself  is also a bit harder, so the players that have played Silius for a long time and know it well - may find it interesting.

Changelog below:

// LIVES AND CONTINUES
- the number of lives we start the game with was increased to 5
- the number of continues was decreased to 1
- after using the continue, the number of lives was decreased to 1

// INTERFACE
- after the "game over" message, the "continue" message was transformed into "last try"
- the "exit" option of the hidden menu was transformed into "play"
- a text field was added to the title screen - thanks to Dizzy9 (thanks pal!)

//    MENU AND OPTIONS
- the hidden menu is reached by pressing the "B" button twice, instead of 33 times
- the number of lives may be changed
- the number of continues cannot be changed
- the "continue" was replaced with "rests"
- the number of lives may not be set to 0 - thanks to Dizzy9 (thanks pal!)

// PICK-UPS
- the life drops contain twice more energy
- the life and ammo drops remain collectable 50% longer

// SOUNDS AND MUSIC
- the sound is changed by pressing the START button at the title screen
- the music was removed from the title screen
- the title screen music is moved to the level 5

// OTHER
- the title screen fading was adjusted to the new sound set's length

// LEVELS AND THEIR INTERIOR
- the look of levels 1, 2, 3 & 4 was modified
- in level 5, the screen movement speed factor was increased by 25%
- in level 4, at the mini-boss chamber - the non-existent walls were fixed

// ENEMIES
- the enemies were relocated at levels 1, 2, 3 & 5
- the ground laser guns remain hidden the half of the time they used to
- the speed of ground laser guns' laser beams was increased to the maximum
- the level 1 mini-boss's bullets flight speed was increased to the maximum
- most enemie's energy was increased

// WEAPONS
- the weapon set was modified for levels 1-3
- shotgun shot's cost increased by 50%
- the angles of shotgun's side shots were increaded by 50%
- hand gun bullets' speed increased by 14%, they are as fast as the shotgun's side shots
- the number of bullets possible to shot from the gun at once was decreased to 2
- the machine gun bullet speed increased by 15%
- the number of bullets possible to shot from the machine gun at once was decreased to 2
- the speed of laser guns shot (player's) was increased by 6,25%
- the homing missles start to look for a target 20% faster
- the number of bullets possible to shot from the rocket launcher at once was decreased to 2
- the time interval between the following rocket launcher shots was increased by 125%

// PALETTES AND COLOURS
- the inpropper colour of the last "S" letter's bottom at the title screen was fixed 
- the palette of the title screen was changed
- the player's colour was changed
- the palettes were changed for levels 1, 3, 4 & 5 (also in the credits)
- the final animations palette was changed

---

You need to patch the (U) version.

This hack took me a long time to prepare, indeed. As I am a person that has almost no knowledge about NES' assembler - I've been encouraged by a few rom hacking tutorials for FCEUX. So, step by step, I was learning how to use more and more tools provided by this emulator mostly by myself. First, I have regulated the weapons' settings, then I had some fun with music and palettes; and at last I have modified the level design and level' maps, replaced the enemies and done some relocation of those.

I would like to say big Thank You to Dizzy9 user of our local NES forum - for his help while working on this hack.

Here's the download link.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
Re: Journey to Silius Plus
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »
Yay! :D

Finally another Journey to Silius hack, besides my lame version.

And you even changed the level layout a little bit! :o

I had to watch my step there once or twice.

Anyway, great stuff! :thumbsup: It's nice to see more obscure games like this get "the treatment."
And I'll leave it at that!

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:36:57 pm »
> Journey to Silius Plus
> Silius

...Fucking translators.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:09:36 pm »
Can someone upload a mirror? That Sendspace link doesn't work for me, for whatever reason. :(

Yauch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 10:40:04 pm »

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:55:50 pm »
Thanks. ;)

alzen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 03:06:15 pm »
It's great to see some opinions, and it's very nice that Jedi posted the first one. Guess he still remembers our short conversation via YouTube's private message system, heh :D.

Still, I would really like to hear how do you all like my work. Please comment, and tell me what do you like, and what don't you.

By the way, someone good enough to beat the game? Go for it :thumbsup:.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:35:13 pm »
Beat it. Fun game. 8) Last level was a nightmare though (& if I'm having trouble with this, you probably need to tone it down a tad [just sayin' because I sat down playing this game 12 hours a day for a month]).

WHAT I LIKE:

-slight level layout changes
-updated palette
-más pistolas ;D
-title screen music plays on final stage
-more lives
-new enemy placement
-lasers are more dangerous now :o
-putting in enemies in the final stage :crazy:

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

-first miniboss' shots are too fast (srsly, I have to rush up to these things & fire like crazy & take damage)
-two-shot limitation (honestly, why not increase it? >:D)
-the bosses could've used more variation (Where'd my YouTube link go? >:()
-no music on the title screen. :(
-for some reason it feels like I run out of ammo too quickly :-\ (I think this happened on my hack as well)

By the way, it's 'LAUNCHER' not 'LRUNCHER'  ;)
And I'll leave it at that!

wumeed

• ExtraOrdinaryTeam for Arabization games
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:11:42 pm »
That a wonderful new to see that new hacked game :), and the shotgun updates was great :thumbsup:.

alzen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 09:41:20 am »
Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster
Last level was a nightmare though(...)

You know, it;s not so hard, you just need to learn it by heart. It's pretty often in oldies.

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster
WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

-first miniboss' shots are too fast (srsly, I have to rush up to these things & fire like crazy & take damage)

Again, it's faster - yes, but as least for me it's easier now to memorize it's shooting pattern.

All other changes that make the game harder are necessary as one of the major targets in this hack is to make the game a little harder.

btw. Thanks for the tip about the Lanucher.

ПАУК

• View Profile
    • 3doplanet.ru
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 06:28:27 am »
Here's the download link.
Link is dead  :(
Why it was necessary to complicate the game? So not interested  :(

alzen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 06:16:37 am »
Link is dead  :(
Why it was necessary to complicate the game? So not interested  :(

Hmm, of course it's your opinion, not everyone must like harder versions. If you're not a JTS passionate it may be not very interesting project for you, indeed.

And about download link, remember you can always download the patch from rom hacking, here.

ПАУК

• View Profile
    • 3doplanet.ru
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 08:16:49 am »

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 03:56:48 pm »
Finally got around to play some of this.

First of all me thank you for making this hack. Journey To Silius is one of my favourite NES games ever, I own the NES and FAMICOM versions CIB as well as a cartridge version of Jedi QuestMaster's very rare hack.
So, I know the game very well and I even beat it without losing a single life in the past.

Yet, I've played for around 1 hour so far and I haven't been able to beat Stage 3.

I like most of the changes but there are a few things I didn't like so far :
- There isn't enough lives! Starting over from scratch again when you die in Stage 3 isn't very fun...
- imo the shotgun eats up too much ammo. It was already the weakest and least useful weapon in the original game, but in this hack, considering that ammo is shared among all weapons, in the few instances where the shotgun would actually be useful (that is to say : against the rotating round robots in Stage2) it's more worth it to avoid enemy shots than using the shotgun. Killing one of those round rotating robots would eat up more than 50% of the overall ammo!
- So far there has been quite a few unfair enemy placements which I didn't appreciate, moments when you can't avoid an enemy or its shots unless you already know it's there. In stage 2, after one the elevators going upwards, there is even a "ground-laser gun enemy" that starts shooting at you before you can even see it. In Stage 3, during the new jump section that you made, there is one of those "small and fast round robots" flying at you at the end of the jump, causing a sure death even though there was no way to know it would come. Granted, the original game also had a few unfair enemy placements, but iirc only 3 and they're not that deadly.
- In Stage 2, it seems that the only worthy solution to kill the "flying black robots with a tail" is using the the laser gun. It kind off limits possibilities.
- As far as mini-bosses are concerned, I think the shots of the one of stage 1 are too fast. I couldn't find a pattern to avoid them, so to me the best solution was to "tank" the tank and hope for the best...

That might seem like a lot but I'm actually enjoying the hack.
I like the palette changes, they're suble and fit the stages well.
I like most new enemy placements.
I like how you get more health from health items and the fact that they stay longer (in the original game it's quite ridiculous).
I really really like the few level design changes there has been so far, even though it's not much, I wish there was more.

I'll play more and let you know.

P.S: I've actually never played Jedi QuestMaster's hack even though he sent me a copy more than 3 years ago  >:D I'll make sure to play it too soon and make a comparaison between the  two.

alzen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 09:25:16 pm »
Finally got around to play some of this.

Glad to hear that dude! And thanks for such a long comment, it was great to read it.

So, I know the game very well and I even beat it without losing a single life in the past.

Great, I beat the game 3 times in a row with just a pistol without losing a single life(search on youtube) :D, but you rock as well for sure :).

Yet, I've played for around 1 hour so far and I haven't been able to beat Stage 3.

Guess you need to play a little bit more. My version is a challenge for me so I know it's hard, but I'm sure you can beat it someday.

I like most of the changes but there are a few things I didn't like so far :
- There isn't enough lives! Starting over from scratch again when you die in Stage 3 isn't very fun...

It's not easy, I know, but that's the way it is. I didn't pushed it to the limit so it's not too hard, and I'm sure about it.

- imo the shotgun eats up too much ammo. It was already the weakest and least useful weapon in the original game, but in this hack, considering that ammo is shared among all weapons, in the few instances where the shotgun would actually be useful (that is to say : against the rotating round robots in Stage2) it's more worth it to avoid enemy shots than using the shotgun. Killing one of those round rotating robots would eat up more than 50% of the overall ammo!

Try to practice every enemy with just a pistol. I hardly ever use a shotgun. Currently you "pay" for every bullet you shot, previously there was 1 for free as fas as I remember. No free bullets guys, sorry ;).

Please also remember that the angles are wider now so you don't need to be so close to highly located enemies to reach them.

In stage 2, after one the elevators going upwards, there is even a "ground-laser gun enemy" that starts shooting at you before you can even see it.

Same as in the original.

In Stage 3, during the new jump section that you made, there is one of those "small and fast round robots" flying at you at the end of the jump, causing a sure death even though there was no way to know it would come.

That's why you practice, to know where they're :).

- In Stage 2, it seems that the only worthy solution to kill the "flying black robots with a tail" is using the the laser gun. It kind off limits possibilities.

Not at all, I'm pretty sure you can handle them with a pistol. Still, the boy is alone, surrounded by hostile robots in the hostile reality. Guess it's normal that he needs to think about every extra ammo he shots; it doesn't limit your possibilities. It just shows that Jay was in really bad, bad situation :P.

- As far as mini-bosses are concerned, I think the shots of the one of stage 1 are too fast. I couldn't find a pattern to avoid them, so to me the best solution was to "tank" the tank and hope for the best...

As I said before, they shot faster but it's easier now to learn the pattern. Try to play with cheat codes and learn avoiding them, you'll see.

That might seem like a lot but I'm actually enjoying the hack.
I like the palette changes, they're suble and fit the stages well.
I like most new enemy placements.
I like how you get more health from health items and the fact that they stay longer (in the original game it's quite ridiculous).
I really really like the few level design changes there has been so far, even though it's not much, I wish there was more.

Glad you like it. Yeah, I also didn't like health items in the original, too problematic to get :).

I'll play more and let you know.

Would really like to hear your opinion after completing the game. Would be great!

Take care dude :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:31:33 pm by alzen »