News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 730226 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #1420 on: May 28, 2017, 09:35:42 am »
You could''ve done that yourself.  ::)

I used the MD palette (or rather what emulators use). The RGB values used are 0, 34, 68, 102, 136, 170, 204, 238.

Edit: Tried "posterize" now and it both gives wrong values and adds one more value to the palette, so it would've been useless.

Edit 2:

Layers: http://i.imgur.com/p73cctO.png
64 to 50/58 colors (8 colors overlapping) - Sub palettes considerate mockup (background=30c, sprites+hud=28c).

Layers: http://i.imgur.com/RZVTPRT.png
Super Metroid SNES (113 colors) to MD - The liquid can be done with mid frame palette switching to show more colors at once, like in the Sonic games, though it might not look exactly the same.
52 colors (or 73 with the liquid effect)/43 or 66c (15 or 39 for bg, 30 for sprites+hud).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:39:59 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 29, 2017, 09:25:09 am »
I'm not sure if I like how orangeish the Sprite's hair looks, but I guess it's the best that can be done with the palette limitations and everything.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #1422 on: May 29, 2017, 10:04:48 am »
The difference between the brightest two shades is very small, ~17 for one part of each RGB value, and they're both "orange-ish" or peach colored. It could look almost identical using the MD's shadow/highlight mode and combining two sprites like in MM on NES but I'm not sure it's worth using that way.

Magical Quest, boss 1 scene:

Layers: http://i.imgur.com/Nn7yE2i.png
157 to 55/64 colors (with water effect). 31/40 colors for the background, 29 colors for the sprites+hud and red blocks. I suppose the boss's blue shades could make up the water surface sprites that cover the water line garbage pixels?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:35:30 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: May 29, 2017, 06:05:34 pm »
Would be interesting to see if a proto of the actual Genesis version of Magical Quest 1 ever turned up.

It was announced but I assume the reason it was canceled was because Magical Quest 2 was released a few months after.
I remember it was early enough in the days of the Internet that boxart spread so I think some websites assumed it was released (at least before people began to compile ROM sets to notice it wasn't)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #1424 on: May 29, 2017, 07:01:29 pm »
Interesting, I did wonder why they only released the sequel but thought it had to do with Sega releasing their own Mickey games around the same time. Too bad there's so little info on it even today.

Edit:
Warcraft II - PC to Genesis mockup (147 to 52 colors):

Iron Blood - PC to MD (126 colors to 56, then 47 colors (31 bg, 30 sprites+hud))
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:36:23 am by PresidentLeever »

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: June 03, 2017, 03:31:19 pm »
I used the MD palette (or rather what emulators use). The RGB values used are 0, 34, 68, 102, 136, 170, 204, 238.

My preferred RGB values are 0, 36, 72, 108, 144, 180, 216, 252.

Anyway, try posterize value 8.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #1426 on: June 03, 2017, 06:33:44 pm »
Yes that one is slightly more accurate to real hardware except it should go up to 255, which is what I started using a few days ago. I find RHW values (0, 52, 87, 116, 144, 172, 206, 255) are too inflexible for darker shades, at least when basing the mockups on emulation screenshots.

I use an automatic palette conversion tool for paint.net instead, works very well as a base to improve on. Posterize screws with the contrast too much.

208 to 61 colors, a quick test so it's not optimized in terms of the sub palette limitations.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:55:44 pm by PresidentLeever »

SpiderDave

• View Profile
    • spiderdave.com
« Reply #1427 on: June 03, 2017, 08:41:38 pm »
Here's some screens of random NES hackery, unfinished/experimental stuff.

SMB3 hack to turn it into a shmup:

Zelda 1 with Link replaced with purple-haired girl.

Oaty Oaty Panic starring Wilford Brimley:

Megaman 1 random level generator thing.  The brick graphics are procedural random, so is the stage layout.

Zelda 1 with Link replaced with "Billy".  Bonus ugly bricks because I can.

Castlevania 1 Beware the evil bunnies!  This is something I slapped together when testing new graphics features of my patcher program.  The thing about making it easy to change graphics is you can do silly things like this.
My NES Tool: Davepatcher My SMB2 Hack WIP: Join Lamross in Hell

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 05, 2017, 03:29:29 pm »
Managed to start pulling Darkmage's script out of "retirement."  Sorry, the GBA font isn't optional.  I had to do a lot with the intro to make it not look awkward and result in you pressing A in the middle.  How is it looking (and yes, I had to make the first spiel start to the left)?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:32:45 pm by Chronosplit »

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: June 09, 2017, 01:53:16 pm »
Managed to start pulling Darkmage's script out of "retirement."  Sorry, the GBA font isn't optional.  I had to do a lot with the intro to make it not look awkward and result in you pressing A in the middle.  How is it looking (and yes, I had to make the first spiel start to the left)?

Is Darkmage script completed? I've read the main problem with it was the desync with the Opera scene, but "lips movements" are really an event issue rather than a script one..

I like how this look but I think I'd prefer center alignment.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: June 09, 2017, 10:20:29 pm »
The w in the font needs to be moved down by 1 pixel. Otherwise it looks fine :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: June 10, 2017, 12:01:47 am »
The w in the font needs to be moved down by 1 pixel. Otherwise it looks fine :)
I've noticed this.  I'm going to look into the font, it bugs me for more than one reason.

Is Darkmage script completed? I've read the main problem with it was the desync with the Opera scene, but "lips movements" are really an event issue rather than a script one..

I like how this look but I think I'd prefer center alignment.
Darkmage mentioned the one he left publically had the Opera fixed.  Haven't done anything extensive with that yet however.  I'm planning on looking at centering the intro later.

Right now the main hurdle is updating names to match the script.  I hit a unique problem with the tools and Wine.  Or something.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:33:03 am by Chronosplit »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #1432 on: June 12, 2017, 05:31:16 pm »

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: June 13, 2017, 05:08:12 am »
Glad to see someone taking a retranslation to ff6 instead of doing a "Relocalization". This game really deserves it! I am amazed it hasn't happend by now actually.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: June 13, 2017, 07:52:33 pm »
Glad to see someone taking a retranslation to ff6 instead of doing a "Relocalization". This game really deserves it! I am amazed it hasn't happend by now actually.
That's one reason why I want to do this.  I know some are kinda like "another script fix?" and I understand that because there are a lot of good ones, but this one deserves to be pulled up due to the different perspective.

It's also planned to have a few more bells and whistles to make things worth it.  I'll talk more of this when I get a thread up (which will be a long distance from now, and I'll have more to show than intros.  I still haven't fixed my problem), but basically along with the obligatory uncensoring (including Dr. Meat's final battle stuff so this is set to be more uncensored than Improvement) it's going to be the only script completely compatible with the CV bugfix compilation.  If the planets align bushido renaming/button config will be in here too.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:22:53 pm by Chronosplit »

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 14, 2017, 05:48:29 pm »
That's one reason why I want to do this.  I know some are kinda like "another script fix?" and I understand that because there are a lot of good ones, but this one deserves to be pulled up due to the different perspective.

It's also planned to have a few more bells and whistles to make things worth it.  I'll talk more of this when I get a thread up (which will be a long distance from now, and I'll have more to show than intros.  I still haven't fixed my problem), but basically along with the obligatory uncensoring (including Dr. Meat's final battle stuff so this is set to be more uncensored than Improvement) it's going to be the only script completely compatible with the CV bugfix compilation.  If the planets align bushido renaming/button config will be in here too.

I just like having the most faithful translation of anything I play so this is a dream come true being this is one of my favorite games ever. Hope you make it to the finishline bro!

Yakibomb

• SMRPG Hacker
    • View Profile
    • youtube.com
« Reply #1436 on: June 18, 2017, 08:51:38 pm »
Going to place this here to get some feedback. This is what it looks like in game.

This is what I'm thinking I want it to look like.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Realize some info might help. Justin3009 and I implemented a P-Meter in Super Mario RPG, which is basically a regenerating FP gauge for each ally. It would be used for abilities.

This is how it might look in the menu (quick mockup)

Not sure where LV would go...

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: June 19, 2017, 01:45:04 am »
Couldn't you just expand the box downward a bit and put the level in there?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: June 19, 2017, 02:56:23 pm »
That is an ambitious idea, and any game that has Kamek and Mario teaming up sounds pretty great to me! I'm curious to know what else you have planned considering in that one screenshot alone you have two of my favorite Mario characters (Kamek and Toad) in the party, so you've already caught my interest.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #1439 on: June 19, 2017, 04:47:32 pm »

I don't know enough about the other versions to have any idea how useful this is. Are you saying yours is a fresh respectable translation from the original Japanese, and more or less aims to assume no prior scripts exist? Keeping in old lines may be fanservice, but it doesn't necessarily treat the material right.