News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 557958 times)

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #1000 on: September 03, 2015, 04:54:31 pm »
I like it! I forgot how much detail was in the sea.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #1001 on: September 06, 2015, 10:37:55 am »
Increasing viewing area:
-------------------------------------
Shining Force 3

Shining Holy Ark
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:58:50 pm by paul_met »

PKstarship

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 09, 2015, 12:39:01 pm »
I recently edited Mega Man's sprite to look like Samus Aran from Metroid. It's a very early version, as Mega Man's face is still there, but what do you think?

Spoiler:
Moderator Note: Moved from the Titlescreen thread per request
-MathOnNapkins
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:19:21 pm by MathOnNapkins »

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 10, 2015, 04:06:13 am »

This is all done from scratch on an unmodified Japanese FF2 ROM. What I did:
* changed some font characters to English, using the font gfx from FF Restored (but I removed the shadow because I think it looks better that way)

* over the past week I've been working on a tool in Visual Studio that's a text editor for FF2, that way I don't have to manually calculate NES pointers (I'll release the tool when I iron out all the bugs)

* While I'm not fluent in Japanese, I can read hiragana and katakana (but not kanji) and went to pre-school in Japan (I was born there), so all I'm saying is that I'm not translating blindly.

* dialogue is directly taken from the GBA version. I plan on making this as close to the GBA version as much as possible.

Let's see how much of the GBA English script I can port over before running out of space...

EDIT:
also here's the tool I've been working on with VS 2013:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:40:06 am by Chaos Rush »

swinezig

• Too lazy to finish Droiyan 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 10, 2015, 05:45:07 am »
Looks interesting, never would have known what this was if not for HG101. (And even they have very little on it.)
It only looks interesting.
In reality, Droiyan 2 is one of the best examples of trying to grab more cash by following the most popular games and failing miserably (in this case, it followed Diablo, and later Triggersoft did the same mistake with Lamentation Sword 2).

But eh, even the worst games deserve to be translated. I'm sure at least a few people played Icarus and wanted to know more about the setting.
Kissyface.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: September 10, 2015, 07:40:13 am »
Increasing viewing area:
-------------------------------------
Shining Force 3
Spoiler:

Shining Holy Ark
Spoiler:

That's really interesting. Is this an emulator function or will it have to be hacked in each game?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 10, 2015, 08:01:15 am »

This is all done from scratch on an unmodified Japanese FF2 ROM. What I did:
* changed some font characters to English, using the font gfx from FF Restored (but I removed the shadow because I think it looks better that way)

* over the past week I've been working on a tool in Visual Studio that's a text editor for FF2, that way I don't have to manually calculate NES pointers (I'll release the tool when I iron out all the bugs)

* While I'm not fluent in Japanese, I can read hiragana and katakana (but not kanji) and went to pre-school in Japan (I was born there), so all I'm saying is that I'm not translating blindly.

* dialogue is directly taken from the GBA version. I plan on making this as close to the GBA version as much as possible.

Let's see how much of the GBA English script I can port over before running out of space...

EDIT:
also here's the tool I've been working on with VS 2013:

That looks amazing. You made the tool? I was using Jade but it was buggy and was attempting something similar. Personally I like the original font used but if you can update the script to that game and have an editor handy, that would rock!

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #1007 on: September 10, 2015, 09:52:10 am »
That's really interesting. Is this an emulator function or will it have to be hacked in each game?
It is the individual hack, on the basis of which it is possible to remove the black borders in any game where they are present. But it may be that under black borders the image will not be rendered or you will see the garbage.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 10, 2015, 10:36:01 am »
It is the individual hack, on the basis of which it is possible to remove the black borders in any game where they are present. But it may be that under black borders the image will not be rendered or you will see the garbage.

Thanks for the info. Are you planning on releasing the hacks? Also since all three scenarios of shinning force 3 are being translated, will you be making hacks for each of the scenarios and premium disc?

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #1009 on: September 10, 2015, 10:58:58 am »
Thanks for the info. Are you planning on releasing the hacks? Also since all three scenarios of shinning force 3 are being translated, will you be making hacks for each of the scenarios and premium disc?
Maybe I'll do it in the Deluxe version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvA2KAvqUTk
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:58:22 pm by paul_met »

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 10, 2015, 11:11:59 am »
That looks amazing. You made the tool? I was using Jade but it was buggy and was attempting something similar. Personally I like the original font used but if you can update the script to that game and have an editor handy, that would rock!
Yep, tool was made by me with Microsoft Visual Studio! It's the first ROM hacking program I've ever made. My incentive to make the tool was due to how buggy Jade was. However, unlike Jade, this tool will solely focus on text, and will not be a map editor. I will release the tool once I work out some bugs with compiling text with DTE tables when using the Demiforce translation.

Also technically there is no 'original font', because I'm working from a Japanese ROM :P but yeah I know what you mean (FF1 vanilla, and FF2 Demiforce). Personally I want to have a thin font for two reason: 1) the Japanese font is also thin 2) a thinner font means more letters can be fit in 'squish tiles'.

Because I am working straight from a Japanese ROM though, I don't have access to the DTE text bytes (a single byte that can represent two characters of text). I am wondering if I should just switch to the Demiforce ROM as a base, and maybe that might be enough to fit the entire GBA script in the ROM by using the DTE tables.

And lastly, should the script be based off of US Dawn of Souls, or European Dawn of Souls? For some reason they are slightly different, and while I know the European one is more recent, I don't know if changes were made simply to improve the script, or if it was done to make it more suitable to European culture. And seeing as you've got some Final Fantasy hacks under your belt, would you recommend paraphrasing the script for space reasons, or should I try and get the GBA script in word-for-word?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: September 10, 2015, 11:54:37 am »
From my experience with that game, the DTE tables weren't optimized with the Neo Demiforce translation, but they helped considerably. However, for space reasons I would paraphrase where you need to for space. The Dawn of Souls translation was fluffed quite a bit since they had the space to do so.

I'll take a screenshot of the font work I did when I was working on the game when I get home from work. I changed the Demiforce font to be a little more like the NES Proto cart, and added squish tiles as well. It might help you fit what you want to in game.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: September 10, 2015, 02:11:42 pm »
From my experience with that game, the DTE tables weren't optimized with the Neo Demiforce translation, but they helped considerably. However, for space reasons I would paraphrase where you need to for space. The Dawn of Souls translation was fluffed quite a bit since they had the space to do so.

I'll take a screenshot of the font work I did when I was working on the game when I get home from work. I changed the Demiforce font to be a little more like the NES Proto cart, and added squish tiles as well. It might help you fit what you want to in game.
It turns out that the Dawn of Souls translation wasn't the one adding the fluff, the added fluff originated from the Japanese Dawn of Souls. For instance, Hilda's line when you first get to her in the throne room in the Famicom version is, "げんきになったのですね。よかった", which is basically, "So you've regained your strength? Very good." But in the GBA Japanese DoS, the line is expanded too, "げんきになったのですね。よかった。 ほんとうね つよい せいめいりょくを もっているのですね。", which was translated to, "So you've regained your strength? Very good. Your life force is strong indeed."

However, the FFOrigins line seems to be a translation of the original Famicom script, and it was translated as, "I see you have regained your strength." Idk what the Japanese FFOrigins script is, but I'm assuming it's identical to the Famicom one based on the translation.

So I guess what I'll do is use the Dawn of Souls translation (and paraphrase when possible) but omit all content that was first added in the Japanese Dawn of Souls.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:28:14 pm by Chaos Rush »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 11, 2015, 12:05:02 am »
I like the FF2 Font a lot, although moreso for the in-battle screens than the regular text screens for some reason.  Maybe it's just the black textbox that makes it easier on my eyes, but it just kind of looks off in the out-of-battle textboxes to me for some reason

Good work regardless though!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: September 11, 2015, 12:16:37 am »

This is the font work I did when I was working on it. I dropped it when I found how BAD Jade messed up my work.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: September 11, 2015, 04:56:03 am »

This is the font work I did when I was working on it. I dropped it when I found how BAD Jade messed up my work.
I'll definitely use the item icons, as yours are a bit easier to see what they are as opposed to the Demiforce ones. I still don't like the FF1 font though, but that's just me. When I'm done with my translation hack, I hope others will use it as a base for their own English FF2 hacks (so feel free to make a font patch if I ever finish this).

I decided to use the font that was in Tomato's Mother 1 GBA translation patch, I think it looks very nice:

I've also switched to the Demiforce ROM since it has built-in DTE. The script is essentially Dawn of Souls (European version) but truncated so that it only has content that's present in the original Famicom game (really I'm just looking at the PS1 translation and removing new stuff), and then paraphrased when necessary, but I can assure you that no meaning is lost between FF2J and this.

I'll make my own thread if I make somewhat decent progress...

PKstarship

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 12, 2015, 03:26:17 am »
I made this:

I hope to put this in my upcoming hack, "Mega Man 2: Revenge of Samus Aran".
What does everyone think of it? I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible on this sprite sheet.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: September 12, 2015, 09:40:26 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:46:40 pm by Chpexo »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 12, 2015, 11:00:32 am »
Looks like they use about the same amount of colors actually.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 12, 2015, 12:10:48 pm »
Samus' gun is a different color. That is perhaps where palette issues would come up. (in the NES games, Mega Man's body uses one palette and his face is another sprite using another palette)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018