News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 604919 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #820 on: October 09, 2014, 09:52:03 am »
So I am working on the next update to Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition. I fixed the Silence icon to reflect the name change.

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 09, 2014, 12:11:53 pm »
Why not just import the original symbol?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 09, 2014, 04:52:49 pm »
Delevoping atlas renderer for sonic3 :3

Heh, I am pretty much interested in this.

I saw some runs with Sonic 2 and got pretty much amazed by it. Also, it's good to see that more people are working now into Sonic 3K.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 09, 2014, 07:33:00 pm »
Why not just import the original symbol?

A couple of reasons. First, the symbol in the Japanese version is Kanji for Silence. Since the spell was translated as Mute in the US, going with Silence on the symbol makes sense with the updated naming for it. Also, the symbol in the Japanese ROM is shaped slightly different. In the actual ROM, the whole thing is split up in multiple pieces. Getting it to line up might cause some pointer issues with other spells. I don't want to cause any problems in my editing.

Mattrizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 09, 2014, 09:47:01 pm »
Honestly, the symbol doesn't look very good.  I can still see the shadow and reflection of the word "Mute" in it. Also, the shading at the top just ends where the original text was.

I was feeling generous, so I tried editing it myself.

Feel free to use it!

r57shell

• View Profile
« Reply #825 on: October 10, 2014, 05:13:23 am »
Heh, I am pretty much interested in this.

I saw some runs with Sonic 2 and got pretty much amazed by it. Also, it's good to see that more people are working now into Sonic 3K.
All previous atlas videos was just videos. It was made with post production. So background was added after recording. With my approach, you'll be able to play and see all this stuff, including off screen objects: rings, monitors, enemies... Gonna rock, but not yet done.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 10, 2014, 12:31:20 pm »
All previous atlas videos was just videos. It was made with post production. So background was added after recording. With my approach, you'll be able to play and see all this stuff, including off screen objects: rings, monitors, enemies... Gonna rock, but not yet done.

Wait, I'll be actually able to see a huge part of the stage myself? Cool!!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 10, 2014, 07:14:41 pm »
Honestly, the symbol doesn't look very good.  I can still see the shadow and reflection of the word "Mute" in it. Also, the shading at the top just ends where the original text was.

I was feeling generous, so I tried editing it myself.

Feel free to use it!

I appreciate the constructive criticism, but I liked the font I used. I didn't use an emulator state for the pallette (initially) so I didn't see the MUTE shadow at first. But I did take your idea for shading the letters and it came out pretty good.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:17:02 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Mattrizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 10, 2014, 08:22:14 pm »
That's much better! :thumbsup:

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #829 on: October 11, 2014, 09:26:13 pm »
Updates on AGTP! Screenshots digest:

Lagrange Point (Coming *very* soon!)

SMT if... (Coming kinda soon!) (Some of these were probably posted earlier in the thread)

Romacning SaGa 2 (Coming sorta soon, maybe hopefully)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 11, 2014, 10:09:30 pm »
Awesome. At least there's this bit of good news in an otherwise shitty day so far.

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 12, 2014, 09:36:47 am »
Ah now that's cool -- SMT: If is looking very good and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product when it does come out. I can't say I've ever heard of Lagrange Point, but the translation looks amazing there indeed as well. Nevertheless, I've been a fan of your work since the first two SMT games, and thank you for translating SMT: If also :) Here's to hoping it all goes well :)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #832 on: October 12, 2014, 01:25:29 pm »
I can't say I've ever heard of Lagrange Point, but the translation looks amazing there indeed as well.

LP has the distinction of being the only NES game to use the VRC7's expanded Yamaha FM audio options; the result gives it a soundtrack literally unlike anything else on the platform.

DragonDePlatino

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 12, 2014, 04:59:36 pm »
Lagrage Point...wow. What a beautiful, beautiful game. I had heard of the name before (from it's aforementioned VRC7 chip) but I've never actually seen the game until I just read it's HG101 article.

Man, it's so jarring seeing such an amazing game after working on my humble little Mother 1 hack for so long. I'll definitely be checking the game out once your translation is finished! Oh, and one last question...what's the playtime of Lagrage Point? My guess is that it's much shorter than earlier NES RPGs? The same could certainly be said for late-NES platformer releases like Mr. Gimmick.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 12, 2014, 06:32:39 pm »
Updates on AGTP! Screenshots digest:
Lagrange Point (Coming *very* soon!)
snip

I love you :D
I have been interested in that game since Mato's list of fan-translations where he lamented this was his first translated full game script ever yet he still didn't saw it released, and then that TAS which included a rough translation for some dialogue with entire paragraphs flashing for two or three frames (not that I blame the TAS'er for that, in fact I'm really grateful). I even tried slogging down through it even with the language barrier only to fail miserably, but I still found it charming enough.
Saying I'm really anticipating this would be a massive understatement.

I appreciate the effort you put in this one, especially because of the very unusual obtuse compression (6 bits instead of 8 bits per character, I read somewhere) and the declining interest in retro gaming in general, even among fan circles.
At the rate Konami releases Hudson stuff on VC, I doubt this (or even less text-heavy stuff like SNES Goemon 2/3/4) would ever see official release, even as untranslated imports (unless Vic Ireland could somehow do something like with Uforia, but even he failed to secure Gimmick NES rights from the relatively open Sunsoft)

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 13, 2014, 11:49:34 am »
Very happy to hear that Lagrage Point is "coming *very* soon." I've been interested in playing that title for some time but I became even more curious after watching the episode of Diggin' In The Carts that spoke at length about the game's soundtrack. Super excited to play it in English!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 13, 2014, 02:25:54 pm »
I appreciate the effort you put in this one, especially because of the very unusual obtuse compression (6 bits instead of 8 bits per character, I read somewhere) and the declining interest in retro gaming in general, even among fan circles.
At the rate Konami releases Hudson stuff on VC, I doubt this (or even less text-heavy stuff like SNES Goemon 2/3/4) would ever see official release, even as untranslated imports (unless Vic Ireland could somehow do something like with Uforia, but even he failed to secure Gimmick NES rights from the relatively open Sunsoft)
I thought Ufouria was a mod of the PAL version to make the gameplay 60hz but not the music (or do I have it backwards?), causing negative fan reaction as soon as it was released.
So I assumed the lack of Gimmick was a result of the poor reception of Ufouria.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #837 on: October 13, 2014, 04:51:15 pm »
I'm not usually a big fan of RPGs but Lagrange Point certainly looks like it's worth checking out. I tried playing it before but I'm sure I'll stick with it a lot longer when I have some idea of what's going on.

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 18, 2014, 05:29:28 am »
LP has the distinction of being the only NES game to use the VRC7's expanded Yamaha FM audio options; the result gives it a soundtrack literally unlike anything else on the platform.

I see. That's sort of different from how the Japanese soundtrack to Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse might be compared to its American counterpart, right? Or Megami Tensei II's soundtrack for that matter. Either way, sounds real good, Gideon Zhi :)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #839 on: October 18, 2014, 02:16:34 pm »
I see. That's sort of different from how the Japanese soundtrack to Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse might be compared to its American counterpart, right?

This is probably a more apt analogy than you realize. Dracula's Curse is one of... three games, iirc, to use Konami's VRC6 mapper for expanded sound. The VRC7 could potentially be seen as an iteration on that.