News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 929831 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #680 on: January 01, 2014, 11:59:05 am »

I hacked this menu a bit on the top. It's also supposed to display status conditions, which I'm going to replace with icons for a snug fit.
The italicized numbers look offputting, IMO.

Here's a couple screenshots from some early work on a Knight Gundam Story 3 translation that Tom and I are working on.

The script is about 20% translated. There is a DTE and a substring compression routine implemented here that combined are allowing us to compress the translated text to about 65% of it's normal size.
Don't forget that the English standards for stuttering like that are either "T-This..." or just "T... this...".

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 01, 2014, 09:33:45 pm »
The italicized numbers look offputting, IMO.
Don't forget that the English standards for stuttering like that are either "T-This..." or just "T... this...".

~DS

As someone whose native tongue isn't English, I am interested by these not-so-obvious details (ellipsis standards and the like). Do you have any good books about proper text proofreading to recommend for me? Not grammar books of course, the kind that would tell you in French for example that overusing the present participle is a faux-pas.
My thanks in advance :)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 04, 2014, 03:51:17 pm »
- Not really much going on.  Trying to decipher Mario Kart's tile writing data routine.  Doesn't seem too complicated but I'm missing some data currently I think.

If I'm doing it right, here's what I have in general for bytes:

$EB - Start loading data (4 bytes in total) - Longest write.  Supports up to 127 tile writes
$41-5F - Repeats last write (3 bytes in total)
$C1-DF - Sets X/Y coordinates of next write?

EB starts writing the most tiles that can be written (Unless I'm missing another byte above this).  So EB xx1 xx2 xx3 would be the length.

xx1 = How many times to write.  Goes up per 2 bytes.  01-FF (1 to 127 tiles)
xx2 = What tile to write.  Values 00-FF
xx3 = What palette the tiles use

$41-5F is the quickest way to write a single tile.  (1 to 16 tiles)

$C1-DF - Still experimenting but it may bump how many tiles ahead to start writing.  (1 to 16 tiles)
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 08, 2014, 04:47:53 pm »
Since the text is easy to change in Donkey Konga 3, I felt like getting some of it translated. Makes navigating the menus a lot easier.

I have found that using "Any Region Changer" Wii Homebrew app and changing the language to "Japanese"  and game region to "Japan" allows the Japanese GameCube games to work / save correctly.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #684 on: January 11, 2014, 02:19:30 pm »

So, there's a French ghost in this game that speaks in all Katakana. In order to capture his out-of-placeness I'm writing him as speaking in a mixture of basic French and English with the occasional bad accent thrown in for good measure. Hehe, I'm going to enjoy this.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 11, 2014, 03:56:38 pm »
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43107309/kale5.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43107309/kale6.png

Did a bunch of Kirby's Adventure editor stuff this week after combining my notes with the stuff on Data Crystal (which I didn't realize was even there until I had found a lot of it independently, but it was still a huge help in actually verifying a lot of things and providing sprite number info, etc.)

Right now there's no actual graphic/palette loading so all tiles are colored semi-arbitrarily based on metatile palette and behavior just so things are halfway recognizable. Red squares are sprites, blue ones are exits.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 18, 2014, 05:25:58 pm »
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43107309/kale8.png
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43107309/kale9.png

Did a bit more work with this on Friday, adding tile set and palette display for the levels. (The editor also displays animated backgrounds automatically, though I didn't feel like capturing that part  :D)

The "editor" still only serves as a level viewer at this point, though actual editing is now the obvious (and simple) next step. Going to post a project thread later, and I'd like to have a first release out by the end of the month or so.

Category

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 18, 2014, 06:57:35 pm »
Since the text is easy to change in Donkey Konga 3, I felt like getting some of it translated...

i take it this uses the bongo controller? I would love to see this patch file when you're half done!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #688 on: January 23, 2014, 07:28:22 pm »

This took forever to do.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 23, 2014, 08:05:31 pm »
That's in good hands if Gideon isn't going to do it. :)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #690 on: January 24, 2014, 09:53:02 pm »
Looks awesome. What game is that from?

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 25, 2014, 01:57:50 am »
Megami Tensei II.

sa♥tsu

• Back against the thin wall
    • View Profile
    • sa-two.yuudachi.net
« Reply #692 on: January 27, 2014, 08:26:08 am »

This took forever to do.

I don't mean to be a knob/pedant, but that translation seems a little different from the feel of the original.

[Japanese]
199X年 人類の歴史は終わった.
そして、時は流れて・・・

[Lit. translation]
199X: Human history ends.
Then, time passes...

[Fancy]
199X: The end of civilisation/history*.
The passage of time continues...
*'Human history' is more to do with evolution; 'history' by itself is about human civilisation by default. But it might be better to make the human element clear with 'civilisation'.

What you've got there sounds like "The end of the world came, but everyone was alright really", whereas the original is more stark and bleak, and makes it clear that a) civilisation is pretty much toast, and b) it's been some time since everything went horribly wrong. I know there's hardly any space to work with there and it's only a couple of short sentences, but this is a pretty iconic opening and I have fond memories of it, so please understand that I am only nitpicking out of love. :V
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:33:54 am by sa♥tsu »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #693 on: January 27, 2014, 12:29:06 pm »
The translation isn't final, it's just there to show off hacking prowess. The entire screen was stored in the CHR and in conjunction with RLE compression, I had no room to expand the translation within the original data confines. So I came up with a way to hijack the original routine and load the text from the PRG with a byte check for this screen only. Quite a bit of code and work went into this intro.

sa♥tsu

• Back against the thin wall
    • View Profile
    • sa-two.yuudachi.net
« Reply #694 on: January 28, 2014, 06:56:15 am »
The translation isn't final, it's just there to show off hacking prowess. The entire screen was stored in the CHR and in conjunction with RLE compression, I had no room to expand the translation within the original data confines. So I came up with a way to hijack the original routine and load the text from the PRG with a byte check for this screen only. Quite a bit of code and work went into this intro.

Wow, that's pretty impressive! I hope you didn't think I was trashing your work.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #695 on: January 30, 2014, 01:24:49 am »
I'll have a proper response to that soon, but in the meantime,

Yes, I know the button prompt is in the wrong place in one of those. Screens are a few days old; that's since been fixed.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #696 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:26 pm »
This is probably "Shin Megami Tensei If" right? Looks interesting.  :)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 30, 2014, 02:36:10 pm »
I die a little each time I see beautiful text boxes and fonts.  That looks AMAZING right now even as is!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 30, 2014, 02:39:01 pm »
This is probably "Shin Megami Tensei If" right? Looks interesting.  :)

Actually, that's Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (which includes a remake of the game Pennywise had just posted before that :P)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 30, 2014, 04:08:59 pm »

Full circle... :)

I wonder if I need to explain what I'm doing or not?
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.