News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 1086216 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #320 on: October 19, 2012, 12:52:22 pm »
Spent a couple of hours dumping the script. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Anyone interested (and skilled enough), feel free to PM me.

Completely off topic, but every time I read your posts, Gideon, it's in Professor Farnsworth's voice. :cheers: ;)

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #321 on: October 20, 2012, 01:22:06 am »

Insertion system works. Now, in a possible first for a translation hack, I am going to attempt to make the font BIGGER. (As in, 8x16. But still.)

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #322 on: October 20, 2012, 09:30:01 am »
Actually, I think the J2E FF4 patch increased the main font size, although I might be wrong about that.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #323 on: October 20, 2012, 09:38:14 am »
Actually, I think the J2E FF4 patch increased the main font size, although I might be wrong about that.
No, you're right. They used the dakuten/handakuten system that was in place to make the font 8x16 instead of 8x8. And no one thought that was a good idea.

For JoJo? I think Gid could probably make it work. The font is a bit too small right now, and in the Japanese version it's a MIX of 8x16 and 8x8 (all of the kanji are 8x16. Or maybe...8x12? They're bigger than the kana).

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #324 on: October 20, 2012, 01:00:03 pm »
And let's be fair: J2E's font isn't exactly easy on the eyes.

Anyway, got it working. Font's the same one I used in Esper Dream 2.

Best part is that it acts only on a specific character range, so I can have both 8x8 and 8x16 in the same window.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 20, 2012, 01:03:29 pm »
Hah. Nice.

~DS

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #326 on: October 20, 2012, 10:15:16 pm »
Pretty interesting game... actually I have no idea how the gameplay is, even though I am pretty familiar with the Super Famicom library. Good reason to play this game.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #327 on: October 20, 2012, 10:23:20 pm »
Pretty interesting game... actually I have no idea how the gameplay is, even though I am pretty familiar with the Super Famicom library. Good reason to play this game.

It's a mixture between a rudimentary point-and-click adventure game and an RPG. You walk around in the side view and can interact with the background to a limited extent. You talk to people, buy stuff in shops, use items, etc like you would in an adventure game. But you also get into turn-based battles, equip weapons and armor, and level up like you would in a regular RPG. There's a bit more to it than that, but that's the broad strokes at least.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 24, 2012, 02:28:56 am »

Insertion system works. Now, in a possible first for a translation hack, I am going to attempt to make the font BIGGER. (As in, 8x16. But still.)
I actually like this font better. Maybe slightly larger, but the other one feels way too large and... bulbous? Its size doesn't feel consistent with the sizes of other graphical elements on the screen, I guess. Also on entirely unfounded grounds, the second font doesn't seem to fit the style of the game.

It's unfounded because I don't know what style of game the game is D:

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #329 on: October 26, 2012, 12:06:49 am »
It's based on a manga, so I wanted to go with something cartoony. The font's not final by any stretch, but maybe it looks better now that I've expanded the windows a little. Less claustrophobic.

... except where expansion isn't really possible:

Edit: Should also note that at this point all of Jotaro's and Joseph's dialog strings have been translated.

Edit 2: Now with expanded equip screen. Before and after...

Not 100% satisfied with the layout, but it'll do for now. I can move basically every element of it, though repositioning the graphs is tricky 'cuz there's some palette stuff going on outside of the actual variable placement array. And yes, "Attack Item" and "Defense Item" will end up as Weapon and Armor respectively, or some similes thereof.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:48:30 am by Gideon Zhi »

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 28, 2012, 11:38:22 am »
Have you thought of using the 8x8 font for the weapon/armor text? Might make the screen look less cluttered.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #331 on: October 28, 2012, 01:31:30 pm »
The trick is differentiating between the two in different situations, as the strings are all loaded from the same place.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2012, 07:15:06 am »
After two weeks of being lazy and preoccupied with other stuff, I finally sent the Schbibinman (Shockman? Probably.) script off (much appreciated again, DS!) At some point in the meantime I got around to rewriting the text routine a second time so it includes the original fade out effect, and then stole some lowercase letters from Deluxe Paint (I thought I had seen the game's 8x8 font in mixed-case in some other game, but I couldn't find it, so oh well.) I dunno how good all of that plus the colored text looks together, but I'm fairly satisfied with it, I guess.

I actually did.. well.. mockups (couldn't program then either) of a titlescreen and some of the intro graphics for that game about 6 years ago.. been waiting that long for someone to decide to translate it. Nothing special and will probably get passed over, but still...

Looks nice! You wouldn't mind me using these would you?  :)

Crysta

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2012, 10:06:11 am »
Not at all, but you still might want to look for a better translation for the title if the conversation is anything to go by.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #334 on: November 01, 2012, 07:39:32 am »
Successful in my various silly AW endeavours.

:D

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #335 on: November 21, 2012, 11:26:23 pm »

Thought I'd share this quick palette hack.
It always bothered me that the original palette resulted in Winston looking like a gargoyle. Here, I've changed all of the occurences of the main spite palette so that the Ghostbusters all use their tan suits instead of gray ones. The result? Winston is inaccurately mocha as opposed to inaccurately stone.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #336 on: November 25, 2012, 03:56:15 pm »

Font's been hacked down to 8x8 and it appears to be working fine. Now I need to do an expansion hack so I can fit all the text back in.

Font's (and text consequently) not final. I'm looking a for a militaristic font that has a lower case.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #337 on: November 25, 2012, 06:34:22 pm »
Your translating on the japanese famicom version of Bionic Commando? :D

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 26, 2012, 01:22:36 am »

Any ideas on this?
I guess I'll probably just find a brushstroke font and fit "Wonderful!" (maybe look at printing it just once?)
It's the final screen to Momotarou Densetsu (well, it will also allow to push any button to alternate between this screen and your final game stats).
I finally beat the game.
Spoiler:
(surprising to find the final boss one of the easiest in the game), and the ending itself, probably better than I'd expect out of a 1987 game. :)
That partial disassembly I did last year proved real useful in quickly locating and fixing a major game-breaking bug with the final boss.
Spoiler:
It sends an army of enemies after you, one at a time. Turns out this bunch of free space that was a bunch of 0xFFs?
Well, it seems that data was the list of enemies it sends out, and the FF is the cue that the enemy parade is over and to proceed to the final battle. Without that, it would send glitch enemies afterwards, with (seemingly) no end.

Probably among the last few remaining issues with this game.

And I take a go at doing it myself:

As well, I created an icon for the Sparrow's Nest game (a game about picking a prize from a basket. The icon is supposed to be an egg coming out of a basket).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:29:37 am by KingMike »
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2012, 02:10:01 pm »
If that's the ending screen, it doesn't mean "wonderful". It's the traditional phrase in Japanese for ending a story or a book. So it's something like "And they all lived happily ever after..."

~DS