News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 437102 times)

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #1620 on: June 10, 2018, 12:27:47 pm »

Slight nitpick: 'Effected Unit' ought to be 'Affected Unit'.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #1621 on: June 11, 2018, 12:15:46 am »
That was one of the first tools I coded in Visual Basic 6, and it shows. It was such a mess!

Did I even post the tool at www.warsworldnews.com? I can't remember.

The original version was posted, but your new one hasn't been.

RadioShadow

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: June 12, 2018, 07:09:14 pm »
Slight nitpick: 'Effected Unit' ought to be 'Affected Unit'.

Well according to this website, use affect if using a verb, use effect if using a noun. Since we are talking about units, which is a noun, "Effected Units" is correct.

Plus the game even uses "CO Effect" to describe the CO's ablities, which is correct. It's odd that it uses "CO Effect" when seeing what units are effected / boosted, when a better description could have been used. The French text uses Efficacité (Efficiency),

The original version was posted, but your new one hasn't been.

You are right, I did post the old one. It can be found here: http://forums.warsworldnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11131&p=315567#p315567

I can make post on www.warsworldnews.com on the tool. I'll try and do that this week.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #1623 on: June 12, 2018, 08:14:34 pm »
Well according to this website, use affect if using a verb, use effect if using a noun. Since we are talking about units, which is a noun, "Effected Units" is correct.

No, it's not correct, and that isn't what that site is saying. Affect is a verb, and effect is a noun. It is definitely "affected units". Effected units means, "the units that were brought about (as an effect)". Affected units means, "the units which were/are affected".

This site that covers these particular conjugations may help clarify. https://www.diffen.com/difference/Affected_vs_Effected

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: June 12, 2018, 08:23:13 pm »
It's something even native speakers can have trouble with, but "effected units" just sounds wrong to me as well.
From checking dictionary.com, yes "affect" looks right, as filler posted.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

RadioShadow

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: June 13, 2018, 03:01:09 am »
No, it's not correct, and that isn't what that site is saying. Affect is a verb, and effect is a noun. It is definitely "affected units". Effected units means, "the units that were brought about (as an effect)". Affected units means, "the units which were/are affected".

This site that covers these particular conjugations may help clarify. https://www.diffen.com/difference/Affected_vs_Effected

Clearly I have been too exited about Daisy being playable in Smash. That's my excuse.  :P

But yes, it should be "Affected Units" since these are the units that will have an impact from the "CO Effect".  8)

Time to update the utility!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:28:16 am by RadioShadow »