News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 709583 times)

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #1360 on: January 13, 2017, 06:01:10 pm »
Just having fun!

The clouds look "off"....
Is the pool clean?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #1361 on: February 05, 2017, 02:16:31 am »
A quick Deep Duck Trouble SMS to NES port mockup pic I just did (18/15 colors):

Reduced sprites to 4 colors in pic b.

Edit:
Aladdin SMS to NES (17 colors):
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:51:00 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: February 05, 2017, 01:32:19 pm »
That "four colors" bit with the NES sprites includes transparency, so effectively it's just three colors. Sometimes developers like Capcom with Mega Man or the DuckTales games would create the illusion of a sprite having more than three colors by layering sprites on top of each other, though.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: February 05, 2017, 01:47:20 pm »
3 colors per palette (x4 background palettes and 4 sprite palettes) plus one background (transparency) color.
Also, if you're going for authenticity, the NES can only set palettes on a 16x16 pixel grid (every 2x2 tile square must share a palette).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: February 05, 2017, 04:25:34 pm »
I think there are at least two NES mappers that allow you to assign palettes on an 8x8 pixel grid instead of 16x16. I know the VRC6 (Akumajou Densetsu) is one, and the localized Castlevania III uses a first-party equivalent.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #1365 on: February 06, 2017, 03:18:52 am »
That "four colors" bit with the NES sprites includes transparency, so effectively it's just three colors. Sometimes developers like Capcom with Mega Man or the DuckTales games would create the illusion of a sprite having more than three colors by layering sprites on top of each other, though.

Oh ok, I thought it was 3+one shared color between sprites. I've read about that, and there are also some enemies in SMB3 that use 4 and 5 colors.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CU2WFCti4As/VInXikrI5CI/AAAAAAAAB7Y/yYs7NHynNCo/s1600/smb3title.jpg
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: February 06, 2017, 12:44:19 pm »
That's using the layered sprites technique.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #1367 on: February 19, 2017, 03:19:40 am »
Farland Saga - resolution hack (Saturn)

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: February 22, 2017, 06:37:56 am »
Farland Saga - resolution hack (Saturn)

Are you also translating the game or just the menus?

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #1369 on: February 22, 2017, 10:21:30 am »
Are you also translating the game or just the menus?
Just some of the general menus for easy navigation.

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: February 27, 2017, 06:44:39 pm »
WIP FF6A (E) and (U) Text Editor (all game text, all game languages).

I've good a good part of the monster data, item data, Font, monster gfx and portrait editors done so hopefully a beta version should be available in a not so distant future..

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: February 27, 2017, 07:31:54 pm »
- Got 3 byte experience working, thankfully.  Had to gank some code from Sailor Moon: Another Story to get it to display properly but all the calculations seem to work inside and outside of battle thankfully.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Kurt91

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: February 28, 2017, 04:33:00 am »
Do you have something in mind, or did you just want to turn Super Mario RPG into a massive grind session? :)

Kea

• View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: February 28, 2017, 11:56:07 pm »
Getting a hang of FF1a's text routines. Before:

And after:

(The "-1" means that the Mythril Hammer reduces your number of hits by one, another feature I've added)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 01, 2017, 12:39:08 pm »
Getting a hang of FF1a's text routines. Before:

And after:

(The "-1" means that the Mythril Hammer reduces your number of hits by one, another feature I've added)

Very nicely done!  That looks a lot better!  The new feature is pretty nifty as well.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Kea

• View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: March 01, 2017, 04:12:07 pm »
Thanks! I had considered displaying the weapon's evade bonus, replacing Crit Rate or as a fourth stat, but the Evade boost of a weapon is visible when you equip it, while Crit isn't (yet anyway). Adding a fourth displayed stat looked too cluttered and would break symmetry with armor displays which don't have a simple fourth stat to display.

Most of the rest of my FF1 work is more mechanics-oriented, so there's not much in the way of screenshots to show of it.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #1376 on: March 04, 2017, 11:22:02 pm »
You could move the cost over to the stock/equipped window, I think. It'd give you more room to work with, especially if you changed Equipped to Worn and put the stock and worn numbers in the same row as their labels. This would allow you to add hits or other relevant fields (up to six).

(quick mock-up in the GIMP. I really, really hate the FF1 Advance font, by the way. It looks like ass.)

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 05, 2017, 03:32:42 am »
i love whenever people call it "the gimp"

it just sounds so

dirty

Kea

• View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 05, 2017, 10:18:04 am »
You could move the cost over to the stock/equipped window, I think. It'd give you more room to work with, especially if you changed Equipped to Worn and put the stock and worn numbers in the same row as their labels. This would allow you to add hits or other relevant fields (up to six).

That's good idea, I might go for that. I don't think more than five displayed fields will be practical or helpful unless I can figure out how to display elemental properties ingame (that'll go in the readme most likely). Will experiment with placement some more.

And yeah, I'm not fond of FF1's font either.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 05, 2017, 01:41:52 pm »
- Got this annoyance out of the way finally.

I've been wanting to display the 'Speed' stat but there's no room on the screen using the big font unless I extend the window down to the very bottom of the screen.  In that way, it would've been pretty damn ugly and inconsistent with everything else in the menus.  Had to go a rather obnoxious roundabout way to get all this to work.

The text itself is pre-rendered graphics.  I was trying to tie it into the actual text routine but it's way too convoluted to go that route unfortunately, so I went the easier way.  The arrows themselves are a lot smaller.  I added in a new routine that sends the decompressed graphics of the Menu Sprites into VRAM so now they're freely able to be edited which fixed that.

After that it was a massive mess of getting the Tile Map to update properly for Layer 3 instead of Layer 1.  But it turned out pretty good I think overall, though I'm pretty stressed out from it all, I'm quite glad it's done.