News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 806054 times)

PKstarship

• View Profile
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #1020 on: September 12, 2015, 12:17:03 pm »
I was going to use sprite layers to make the arm cannon green, because I just can't see a Samus sprite looking good without a green arm cannon.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 12, 2015, 12:58:48 pm »
You might have issues with both too many sprites on the screen (as you need separate sprites to make an object different colors) as well as using too many palettes. (an NES palette is limited to 3 colors plus transparency, and you only have four palettes to work with for ALL sprites, including enemies, etc.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: September 12, 2015, 10:21:36 pm »
I recommend working with the Megadrive port, considering they don't have the NES palette limitations.

PKstarship

• View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: September 12, 2015, 11:04:54 pm »
Well... I never really liked Wily Wars as much as the original games. I'm kinda weird like that, I don't really care much for Super Mario All-Stars either, it just doesn't feel like the original to me. Maybe if the GFX were restlyed to look exactly like the NES, it would be a different matter...

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1024 on: September 13, 2015, 03:01:44 am »
Interesting idea. Never cared much for sprite edits though. Might be why I disliked MM vs Street Fighter so much.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: September 17, 2015, 01:21:07 pm »
So for updating FF2 to modern standards I thought, "I know! I'll just use squish tiles to display the full spell names!" What a stupid, stupid idea.

It looks really, really ugly. Looks like I'm going to have to do some ASM hacking if I want to do an aesthetically-pleasing English version of FF2.

Ideally, this mockup is what I would like to have it look like:

I've been looking around on Google trying to see if Grond ever provided any notes on how he shifted the menus in FF1, and I'm wondering if I can do the same with FF2. As for finding it myself, I don't know where to start :( I've done GBA ASM hacking before, but that was a lot easier because VBA has its own ASM decompiler.

On the bright side I've inserted all of the NPC text for Altair and Gatrea:
Creator of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jmatz1995

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: September 17, 2015, 04:33:34 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:42:25 pm by Chpexo »

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #1027 on: September 17, 2015, 05:10:58 pm »
So for updating FF2 to modern standards I thought, "I know! I'll just use squish tiles to display the full spell names!"

A VWF would probably help a great deal, wouldn't it? Could you mock that up?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 17, 2015, 05:14:51 pm »
A VWF would probably help a great deal, wouldn't it? Could you mock that up?
It's pretty much impossible for NES games to have a VWF, they just don't have enough RAM. Any NES game that does is sacrificing a lot to get it to work.

EDIT: also just I tried seeing if FF2's menu format was the same as FF1's, and believe me, I've tried every possible tile position that I could think of, and I've come to the conclusion that FF2's battle menu's are hardcoded, especially since they use sliding menu's that move around as opposed to FF1 simply generating a menu for a message.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:43:18 pm by Chaos Rush »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: September 17, 2015, 10:24:43 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:42:11 pm by Chpexo »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 17, 2015, 10:38:34 pm »
I say worry about getting the script in first. It looks great so far. As far as squish tiles are concerned, it will never look 100% right but its probably the only way to insert the spell names as is. I'm sure you could figure out the ASM needed to make it 3 instead of 4 columns, but the other hard part is in the menu.

Do you intend to add a B Button dash like Grond was able to with the Final Fantasy I + II?

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 17, 2015, 11:47:58 pm »
TBH, I like the look of both sets of text myself.  I think the font looks really good, and I think you avoided some of the pitfalls with getting it to display in the blue dialog boxes too (I know there are some texts that look REALLY good with the black backgrounds but then are almost unreadable with the blue backgrounds).  Solid work so far!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 17, 2015, 11:52:06 pm »
It looks so clean for an NES font and def a big improvement over the usual NES FF font I've seen (which is ugly) IMO.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 18, 2015, 01:53:24 am »
I stand with SunGodPortal on that statement, that font is incredible.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 18, 2015, 01:59:54 am »
I say worry about getting the script in first. It looks great so far. As far as squish tiles are concerned, it will never look 100% right but its probably the only way to insert the spell names as is. I'm sure you could figure out the ASM needed to make it 3 instead of 4 columns, but the other hard part is in the menu.

Do you intend to add a B Button dash like Grond was able to with the Final Fantasy I + II?

The other problem is, that I recall, each character in FF2 can only learn 16 spells, so the menu was designed to show all spells on screen at once with no scrolling. So unless the author has plans to add scrolling (which is probably a significant amount of work), it would probably be more feasible to reduce it to single-spaced menus with 2 columns of 8 each.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: September 18, 2015, 02:37:40 am »
The other problem is, that I recall, each character in FF2 can only learn 16 spells, so the menu was designed to show all spells on screen at once with no scrolling. So unless the author has plans to add scrolling (which is probably a significant amount of work), it would probably be more feasible to reduce it to single-spaced menus with 2 columns of 8 each.
2 columns of 8? I hadn't thought of that. Until I can find the code that generates these menus, I'm settling with:

It's not perfect, but it's a lot more aesthetically pleasing than those abominations of squish tiles I posted earlier. But I'll definitely have 2 columns of 8 as a goal.

Also I do not wish to take credit for the font, as it is from Tomato's Mother 1 GBA translation: http://mother12.earthboundcentral.com/

And lastly, due to the amount of discussion my screenshots have generated, I have decided to simply start my own topic instead rather than crowding up this thread. So here we go: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20400.0.html

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #1036 on: September 19, 2015, 08:28:21 am »
Increasing game resolution up to 352x256:
---------------------------------------------------
The story of thor 2
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:57:46 pm by paul_met »

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 19, 2015, 12:45:42 pm »
Increasing game resolution up to 352x256:
---------------------------------------------------
The story of thor 2
Spoiler:

Awesome stuff. I love that the Saturn is getting some much needed attention.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #1038 on: October 15, 2015, 09:50:07 pm »
Interesting. Does that have any gameplay benefits?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #1039 on: October 16, 2015, 01:28:15 pm »
Indentation isn't perfect, still working on that.

And a before-and-after for font and edit: