News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 917688 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5140 on: September 06, 2018, 08:49:06 pm »
Were the questions wrong or just outdated? I only briefly played but I do remember the PS2 CCC manual even made a note for that game like "please remember this game was made in 1992 when answering the questions".
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: September 06, 2018, 09:11:26 pm »
I double your request with one asking to stop the goddamn stage looping of the Arcades before the MK3 ones start to appear.

I triple the bet going even further! Converting the Rev 1.3 TheDrewsus made into the PS2 port! They converted very well Juggernaut Hack, so it's possible to do the same with v1.3.

Magister

• View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: September 06, 2018, 10:39:19 pm »
Were the questions wrong or just outdated? I only briefly played but I do remember the PS2 CCC manual even made a note for that game like "please remember this game was made in 1992 when answering the questions".

I can't say for the Xbox or PS2 versions since I've never played them.  I just read that the questions for those games were changed to be Capcom related questions.  Whereas the arcade game which I have has a wide variety of questions that you would see in a typical Trivia game.  I remember running across a bunch of questions where I knew the answer only to get it wrong because of a screw up on the programmers part.

Here are a few of those questions:

The question "Who is the lead singer for the band Devo?" does not include the correct answer (Mark Mothersbaugh), but his guitar and keyboard playing brother (Bob Mothersbaugh).

The question "What are Elroy Jetson's parents' names?" misnames Elroy's mother Jane as Judy. This is odd since another question specifically asks for his mother's name and Jane is the right answer.

The question "When did the original Star Trek series take place" is incorrectly the 34th century, instead of the 23rd.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: September 07, 2018, 12:25:20 pm »
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

Quality of life hacks like:
  • Increment the speed in which the text is parsed/written. The text really tends to drag with scenes like the Deku Tree ones or very story heavy ones
  • Make the Iron boots and Hover boots an item you can un/equip with the press of a button (Maybe the DPad?)
  • Make the Bunny Hood have the same property as it has in Majora's Mask -- Make it so when you equip the Bunny Hood, Young Link runs at a much faster pace

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: September 07, 2018, 07:29:16 pm »
I have successfully hacked an arcade ROM, a game from the early 80s. It takes a lot of trial and error (i.e., corrupting values based on educated guesses). I also had help. The game had a built-in checksum feature that had to be bypassed. It was found based on graphics shown on the screen when the check failed. It was also critical to use a certain version of the emulator and corresponding ROM, because the emulator has its own checksum validator and later versions would bomb irrecoverably.

You would probably be restricted to replacing the existing text with questions and answers that are no longer than the text they replace. Possible but ambiguously fun. By the time you had entered all the new questions and answers, the game would no longer be interesting because you would know all the answers.

All of which is to say, it can be done, but it's tedious and repetitive, with no promise of success, and a seemingly low payoff if you do succeed. It would be like spending $1000 to dig up $100 worth of gold.

I don't mean to rain on your parade. The above is a common experience for me, and the reason so many of my ideas die on the vine. But if you think it's worthwhile, I'm telling you it's possible.

I don't believe I would ever get bored of the game if it had D&D related questions.  I love the game itself, just not the questions.  There are just so many outdated or off the wall questions in the game that just make it frustrating to play.  Add to the fact there are many questions in the game that have the wrong answer as the correct one and it makes for just a headache. 

I would be happy just having the questions from the Capcom Classics Collection for the Xbox and PS1 ported to the game.  I'm told all the questions were changed to be Capcom related.  Just not sure how difficult that would be even if I knew how to transfer them from one game to the other.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5145 on: September 08, 2018, 04:50:13 am »
Okay, I'll throw my hat in.

MAME has a built in debugger, and a nice one at that, so hacking games is no big deal. Sure, there are CRC checks but they can be ignored.

If you know what you're doing, you could probably change the questions to whatever you want, rather than being no longer than the existing ones as mentioned.

The problem I see is that you're the one person who really wants to see this happen, but if you spend hours putting new questions into the game, you'll play it and... you'll know all the answers, because you put them there. That kind of ruins the fun.

So, could you change the questions? Sure, but you'll know all the answers, so it's not really worth it. :)

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: September 08, 2018, 06:03:33 am »
One could try finding another game with similarly formatted questions, rip them from it and then insert them into this game.

Or one could find another person to write the questions while one just takes care of the programming side of it.

Or just edit the questions for the sake of our friends and family fun.
There has to be a better life.

RomerPlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: September 08, 2018, 01:23:40 pm »
I have this Ideas:

NES and SNES Zeldas:

* Using the Knight Mobs sprites, replace the Lnik sprite into a Knight one, example: https://www.legendra.com/media/screenshots/snes/the_legend_of_zelda__a_link_to_the_past/the_legend_of_zelda__a_link_to_the_past_screen_11.jpg

* Use a hack wich mode the history and game and merge it.
Link must be a knight... not an elf dude with tights  ;D

***************************************************************************************
7 Saga part 2: https://www.retrogamingstores.com/image/cache/data/inventory/snes7thsaga-800x800.jpg

Replace the hero sprite and put this warrior / knight sprite from the 7th saga part one: http://www.chronicgames.net/images/games/snes/7th-saga-the-screenshot-002.png

The sword must be a Longsword, not scimitar. Now, if you want to make a deep hack like make another history, well it will be welcome  :thumbsup:

***************************************************************************************

Well, I hope this ideas like some one who can make it true. Cheers and regards!.  :thumbsup:

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: September 11, 2018, 04:02:13 pm »
GRADIUS 3 and SUPER R-TYPE (SNES): Fix slowdowns.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: September 12, 2018, 11:21:18 am »
GRADIUS 3 and SUPER R-TYPE (SNES): Fix slowdowns.

User Proteunerd is doing that with Super R-TYPE, with a pallette restore and MSU-1 compatibility.

Magister

• View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: September 12, 2018, 10:36:39 pm »
Okay, I'll throw my hat in.

MAME has a built in debugger, and a nice one at that, so hacking games is no big deal. Sure, there are CRC checks but they can be ignored.

If you know what you're doing, you could probably change the questions to whatever you want, rather than being no longer than the existing ones as mentioned.

The problem I see is that you're the one person who really wants to see this happen, but if you spend hours putting new questions into the game, you'll play it and... you'll know all the answers, because you put them there. That kind of ruins the fun.

So, could you change the questions? Sure, but you'll know all the answers, so it's not really worth it. :)

That's why it would have been nice if someone had already done this.  Since they changed up the questions for the Xbox version, I have to wonder how hard it would be to pull all the Q&A from that game and use them to replace the ones in the arcade version?

If I had money to just toss out the window, I would probably try to track someone down who could do this and just pay them.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: September 13, 2018, 12:02:48 pm »
Small hack idea came to mind, increase Neclord's stats in Suikoden 2.

Neclord was considered too easy for such a important part of the game.

ReggieTheRetrogaminDork

• View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: September 14, 2018, 05:29:50 pm »
I've seen and experimented with all types of romhacks, and I would love to see a romhack where MegaMan 1 has the additional robot masters in Powered Up. I would love to see a modification to properly display 8 RMs as well as a weapon energy menu. Good luck to any romhacker who can pull this off.

Thanks in advance,
                                                                   -ReggieTheRetroGaminDork

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: September 15, 2018, 02:31:19 pm »
I've seen and experimented with all types of romhacks, and I would love to see a romhack where MegaMan 1 has the additional robot masters in Powered Up. I would love to see a modification to properly display 8 RMs as well as a weapon energy menu. Good luck to any romhacker who can pull this off.

Thanks in advance,
                                                                   -ReggieTheRetroGaminDork

There has been a few attempting that, and outside of RHDN...but there has been no word yet on progress.

ReggieTheRetrogaminDork

• View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: September 18, 2018, 12:19:49 am »
I want a Megaman 1 rom hack that is an equal to Megaman Powered up. Redesign the the stage select screen to fit Time Man and Oil Man with their own levels and modify the Wily Fortress stages to accommodate the additions. I would say take out the 2 rematches in Wily 2 and redesign Wily 4 with all 8 robot master rematches setup like in Megaman 2. Also add the E tank ability even if it is just one maximum. Basically add the main stuff I listed and a save file system and we will have the best MM1 romhack ever.

d7628422nwytg

• View Profile
Hack Request for Donkey Kong Country and Diddy's Kong Quest: One hit hard mode
« Reply #5155 on: September 18, 2018, 05:06:36 am »
So I have been playing two hacks by Mattrizzle, Donkey Kong Country: Boss Blitz and Donkey Kong Country 2: Brigand Barrage:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1117/

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1118/

And one of the features of the hack that you can play the bosses with one hit while choosing only diddy or donkey for the first one, and Diddy or Dixie for the second one, with no DK barrels.

So I want a hack for each game:

For Donkey Kong Country 1, have it the same as the boss mod, either choose diddy or Donkey with no DK barrels.

But Donkey Kong Country 2 has Some specific Dixie/Diddy Mechanics, so while you can do the same as the boss mod and choose either dixie or diddy and die in one hit and no DK barrels, but I think this would be better, but it is more complicated:

You play the game the same way as a normal mode with the DK barrels, but you die in one hit. When you die in one hit, you lose your inactive partner (you lose dixie if you play as Diddy, and vice versa), and when you continue the level you only play as the active kong that died, but the inactive kong is not there and you can get this inactive kong in the DK barrels, so you can perform the special moves and switch. In other words with a diagram:

Diddy/Dixie -> get hit and die -> Diddy -> get DK barrel -> Diddy/Dixie

Telling the amount of secrets in each level and how many you completed will also be good, ie in DKC it tells how many bonuses are in the level, and how many you completed, and the amount of kremcoins in DKC2 are in each level and how many you got in each level will be good, along with the sound changes in Mattrizzles DKC2 mod.

A time complete record added like Mattrizzles mod would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:03:40 am by d7628422nwytg »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: September 18, 2018, 10:02:10 pm »
I want a Megaman 1 rom hack that is an equal to Megaman Powered up. Redesign the the stage select screen to fit Time Man and Oil Man with their own levels and modify the Wily Fortress stages to accommodate the additions. I would say take out the 2 rematches in Wily 2 and redesign Wily 4 with all 8 robot master rematches setup like in Megaman 2. Also add the E tank ability even if it is just one maximum. Basically add the main stuff I listed and a save file system and we will have the best MM1 romhack ever.

I think that would work using MM2 as base ROM.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: September 18, 2018, 10:12:48 pm »
I think that would work using MM2 as base ROM.
  • Bubble Man = Oil Man
  • Air Man = Ice Man
  • Quick Man = Elec Man
  • Heat Man = Fire Man
  • Guts Man = Wood Man
  • Metal Man = Cut Man
  • Flash Man = Time Man
  • Crash Man = Bomb Man

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: September 18, 2018, 11:11:48 pm »
Yeah you got a point there

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: Today at 08:57:24 pm »
How about a hack of Castlevania: Dracula X, that actually turns it into a real port of the TG-16/PC Engine original, instead of the Dracula X/Rondo Of Blood "SNES reimagening" that supposedly nobody cared about?

Is it possible to do?
« Last Edit: Today at 09:03:33 pm by John Enigma »