News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Insider Konami translation files - free to download  (Read 2133 times)

RetroProf

• View Profile
Insider Konami translation files - free to download
« on: January 02, 2012, 09:04:32 am »
Hi guys,

Secured some localisation files from someone on the inside, which I will be making available in the coming weeks. First batch is some manuals and Hybrid Heaven's entire script, in Japanese and English, prior to editing and insertion. I thought this might be of interest to romhackers, hence the new topic.

Enjoy and check back for some really cool releases. There's 4 more which I've got scheduled.

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2012/01/top-secret-konami-files-to-download.html

With the New Year great changes are in motion at HG101. Not just in the site itself and the way you read it, but also with a series of extremely exciting, exclusive articles, and also this selection of Konami files. In truth, due to a clerical error, these files were never technically under an NDA back in the day – so perhaps they’re not top secret. But they are interesting. They are a selection of localisation files, containing the original Japanese scripts and official English translations, for several Konami games and a variety of manuals. There’s also translation notes and other behind-the-scenes morsels in some of them.

We acquired them from a freelance localiser who has never been interviewed before – I want to emphasise this, said person has never been interviewed before – and for various reasons we were given permission to distribute them. Full disclosure as to why they’re being released will be revealed later on.

Alongside this final release will be a lengthy 10’000 word interview with our mysterious benefactor, at which time their identity will be revealed. Let’s just say after reading this you will never look at Konami or indeed the videogame industry in the same way again. HG101 staff have already read the unspeakably controversial feature, and everyone agrees it’s the most industry rocking article we’ve ever published. The pillars of heaven will shake. Some bits are so hot we’re not even sure if we can legally publish it – but we’re going to anyway.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:17:34 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:49:59 am by creeperton »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: Insider Konami translation files - free to download
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:48:30 pm »
Not sure this belongs in this forum, but it is quite interesting to say the least. I'm looking forward to this article.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

RetroProf

• View Profile
Re: Insider Konami translation files - free to download
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:42:47 am »
Yeah, I wasn't sure where it should go. Language and script discussion seemed a close bet.

Technically all the games are those which have already been officially translated, but there's still 4 game scripts to release, so I'm sure you guys will have some fun going through them.

Also, the file mentioned in this topic will be released towards the end:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13648.0.html

Added to the blog:
These are localisation files for games already officially localised - but there are some neat things like translator's notes requesting changes to the original script (in some cases factual errors present in the originals), the original Japanese text alongside for comparison, and for some games very lengthy documents with background information. Not the kind of stuff that went into the game itself, just supplementary info to help the localiser understand the world. Also, the 8-bit title had large files with HEX coding in it which I had hoped would be source code, but apparently is not. Still, dumps of pre-release edits for scripts are pretty rare. These are all just script files.

The real MEGATON is the interview itself. No need to dial anything back, it really is the most incredible interview I've ever conducted. It's a really candid, honest and eye-opening account from someone inside the industry.