News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 4824 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: December 01, 2011, 04:46:46 pm »
Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/)

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 07:20:10 am »
The Custom Classes and Mod of Balance seem very interesting. People on GameFAQs' Dawn of Souls board seem to like it a lot, anyway.

One thing I do not like about Mod of Balance is the name change for the thief, who is now a "samurai." He should really be a rogue or a brigand. But if that's my only complaint about this hack, good.

And Custom Classes basically rectifies the one issue I ever had with FFV's gameplay. :p Maybe now we can make classes like in FFX-2; no !Attack if that's not the primary use of that particular job. :D
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

ludmeister

• View Profile
    • When in doubt, manipulate your source code.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:41:17 pm »
Vivify- Thanks for your thoughts about the two hacks.

Actually, as I submitted these hacks, I've gotten interested in improving on these hacks, if only a little bit.  I'm planning on reworking FF2 in DoS a bit, making weapons more difficult to level up and individual magics easier to level (or at least, you don't have to fight ridiculously powerful monsters to level a spell past Level eight).  I'm also planning on making the monsters a bit more powerful to compensate.

On the FFVa side of things, it always has bugged the crap outta me that the Necromancer job isn't opened up when the other three Advance jobs are.  I'd like to rectify that sometime. Stay tuned.
When in doubt, manipulate your source code.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:09:43 pm »
How about, instead of making weapons grindier and spells not so grindy, you fix the fundamental flaws in the game? Like, for example, how hideously tedious it still is. (Specifically, decreasing the randomness of post-battle boosts, as well as the length of time it takes to get such boosts.)

It's an awesome game, but it's also a SaGa prototype, and it shows.

ludmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:20:00 pm »
How about, instead of making weapons grindier and spells not so grindy, you fix the fundamental flaws in the game? Like, for example, how hideously tedious it still is. (Specifically, decreasing the randomness of post-battle boosts, as well as the length of time it takes to get such boosts.)

That is an interesting idea, though I must admit I like the randomness of those gains.  Granted, it's frustrating if you want a specific character to gain a specific stat at a specific time, and I've been there *many* times... I just can't go so far as to say that this is a fundamental flaw in the game.

As I'm playing through FF2 with the modifications I have made already in place, I very much like how the pacing is working so far.  Then again, I've only just got the Mythril. I was challenged by Semitt Cave, though I've begun working on my character concepts that I'll keep for the game (Samurai/Valkyrie/Paladin).  For me, FF2's pacing was destroyed because warriors seemed to get ridiculously powerful without even trying, when the spell casters were languishing because they couldn't afford to attack when they could be buffing magic, especially when they had 10 or more spells to keep training in.  So I'm curious to see how the pacing holds up.

TimeSpaceMage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 09:41:59 am »
Whoa, I missed this post. Somebody besides me has played Arcana?! That was my first RPG :o
Tinker: "You're going to go where no one has gone before!"
Hero: "We've actually been there before."
Tinker: "Oh. Well, you've never been shot out of a turret, with only a minimal chance of survival!"
Hero: "That's true."

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 01:30:28 pm »
Whoa, I missed this post. Somebody besides me has played Arcana?! That was my first RPG :o

Well, now you can play it all over again with a few embedded Game Genie codes!

...err, I mean, with JCE3000GT's new EasyType hack!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 05:40:40 pm »
Some of JCE's hacks could qualify as that, yes, but others add enemies, weapons and armor or alter aforementioned stuff in ways that cannot be done with Game Genie codes. We've gone over this many times already on this very sub-forum. Please, people, stop trolling JCE with stuff that is false.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 06:41:40 pm »
Whoa, man, sorry for being out of the loop! Sure, some of his hacks add and change things, but this hack does not! In fact, none of the three of his listed in this news post do!

Anyways, I apologize, and I'll make more of an effort to read entire subforums before I make comments in the future.

TimeSpaceMage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 07:02:37 pm »
I might replay it if there was a code that changed the encounter rate, or if I could manipulate it away with savestates/frame advance for a TAS. I'll need to get more information about the game (i.e. manipulating accuracy/crits) since I can only think of using Call Amulets to speed up the game, and only Rooks can use those.
Tinker: "You're going to go where no one has gone before!"
Hero: "We've actually been there before."
Tinker: "Oh. Well, you've never been shot out of a turret, with only a minimal chance of survival!"
Hero: "That's true."

ludmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 02:29:52 pm »

I took your suggestion to heart.  As I was testing the FF2 modifications, your suggestion made more and more sense.  If you like, take a run through Final Fantasy 2 with the updated Mod of Balance (find v2.0 at my site, or here at ROMhacking.net).  Final Fantasy 2 may still yet be "broken", but this is my best first attempt at rebalancing the game and make it smooth to play through but still present the player with a good challenge. 

Warriors should take a little while longer to get going, but will be much more useful in the endgame when, in stock FF2, you would be facing creatures with ridiculously high Defense, who could only be significantly damaged by using offensive magic (or the Blood Sword, which damaged enemies irrespective of their Defense).

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 10:45:28 pm »
Welp. Now I have complaints about FF1. It's more challenging, yes, but it's also entirely too tedious. If you're going to raise prices on equipment and spells, the very least you could do is raise monsters' gil drop rates to compensate. As it is, I've reached Elfheim in about 35 minutes and have almost entirely skipped Pravoka's shops because monsters there don't drop nearly enough gil to splurge on equipment.