News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Little hack for Bad News Baseball - easy gender selection  (Read 3090 times)

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
Little hack for Bad News Baseball - easy gender selection
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:48 pm »
I just made a small quickie ASM hack for Bad News Baseball.
Normally, the game has Boys' teams and Girls' teams available, but in order to pick the Girls' teams, you need to enter a stupid code on two different controllers while resetting the game (Down+Left on controller #1, Up on controller #2).
I've hacked the game so you just press Select at the title screen to change it.

Download (40 bytes)
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

wilef

• View Profile
Re: Little hack for Bad News Baseball - easy gender selection
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:51:35 am »
Love this hack!  How did you do it?  Would you mind if I incorporated it into my "Bad News Baseball: Under the Lights" hack?  I'm making a 'night mode' hack.

Burzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:24:10 pm »
This is the best baseball game for nes ever (i.m.o.) tyvm for making this!
Video I made for a game I love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdX7apGn0xM

wilef

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:42:13 pm »
ABSOLUTELY!  It's so under-appreciated.  I still play this game all the time, tons of fun, almost always great matchups in 2-player if both players know what they're doing.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 04:51:12 am »
To make the hack, first I determined how the gender selection feature works.  I used a cheat finder to find out what byte controls it.
One byte in RAM gets changed.  Luckily, when you change that byte, the title menu immediately updates the sprite.
Other fun things: You can also poke that byte during gameplay, and whenever there's a screen transition, it selects boys or girls at that time.  If you set the byte to something other than 0 or 1, you get garbage graphics.

To make the hack, I found where the game was reading the controller byte for the Title Screen, then added one more comparison.  Usually when patching code, you replace code with a jump to some empty space, copy the write new ASM code there (along with the old code that got replaced with a jump), then jump back.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."