I figured it'd be best to post on this thread instead of the news page thread. So, I'm mildly interested in helping out with the title screen. Ok, maybe a little more than mildly
I took a look at the intro of the game. The intro and the title screen are a single 256k chunk. That is to say, the title screen part isn't a separate CD load. I found some interesting things while poking around in the debugger. First off, there's an unused 8x8 4bit font that's never used. It's not a full font (only ~36 titles) but it could be used to store 8x8 2bit font tiles or even 1bit tiles; aka a full custom font. It was probably a left over font for debug code or such.
The title screen is indeed compressed, but so are a lot of graphics assets for the intro and title screen parts (the font for the intro subtitling routine is stored on the system card though. Stock/typical stuff). Shouldn't be too hard to figure out what compression scheme it uses.
I mapped the intro/title screen 256k cdram segment into a 256x1024 byte/pixel image and palette mapped color 0 and $ff to green and pink. Shows some possible free space areas (notably possible 8k free at the start, assuming this isn't used for work/decompression ram purposed). Update
: Found the title screen in the 256k block. The compression scheme is WORD variant RLE. Pretty straight forward. Now to write a decompressor. Update2
: The title screen data is soo compressed that a replacement one would have to have nearly any color detail in order to fit back in. Instead, I've located some free space (other than the suspicious 8k at the beginning). Just enough for about 60 raw 16x16 4bit color sprites. I have a quick modified make-shift title screen replacement/test that I grabbed from Frag's cover work. I'll write some special replacement control code to handle the uncompressed transfer and see how things go from there.