News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Rondo of Blood English Patch (PSP to TurboGrafx-CD).  (Read 63374 times)

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
Rondo of Blood English Patch (PSP to TurboGrafx-CD).
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:58:31 pm »
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood English Translation Patch

Logo made by fragmare
Hello and welcome to the Castlevania: Rondo of Blood English Translation Patch (PSP to TurboGrafx-CD).
After many years of leaving this project abandoned I can happily say that this patch has reached it's much needed 100% status! However the credits have not made it into this release of the patch (if ever) so in order to compensate for this inconvenience we have included the translation for the credits in the readme.

To make clear, this patch will translate the TurboGrafx-CD version of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood into English. Everything will be translated; even the voiced dialogue will be replaced with the official Konami English dub from Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP). However miscellaneous grunts will retain their original Japanese.

It also replaces the old German narrator with the new narration that was in the PSP and VC release of the game. If you, for whatever reason, do not like this you can easily swap back the original narration (Track03) after it is done patching.       

best of both worlds :wink:

But enough talk! Have at you!
(Download links)
Full Readme Page
Dracula X Patch (17.5 MB)

(screens)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:54:36 am by Burnt Lasagna »

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
Re: Rondo of Blood PSP dub for PC-Engine.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 05:47:18 pm »
Have you considered adding a VWF to the game's text engine? I haven't looked at this game's code in probably 5 years, but as best I can remember it wouldn't be that difficult to implement. Konami announced they were releasing it stateside before I got very far into the project. The only difficult part about the whole thing was adding subtitles to the few spoken lines of dialogue in the game.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:39:16 pm »
This is pretty cool, thanks for posting it here because otherwise I would have never known about it since I don't really visit pcenginefx.

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:25:01 am »
This seems pretty good, actually. Personally I'm fine with the original intro, but appreciate the redubbing of other dialogues.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:26:05 am »
Have you considered adding a VWF to the game's text engine?
All the text hacking, for the most part, is from the original patch that Cubanraul did back in 2004, so I had no hand in it. I'm not really sure if I will decided to add it in or not.
This seems pretty good, actually. Personally I'm fine with the original intro, but appreciate the redubbing of other dialogues.
If you prefer the original intro you can easily swap it out with the original Redbook for Track03.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:38:25 am by Burnt Lasagna »

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 06:37:25 pm »
I figured it'd be best to post on this thread instead of the news page thread. So, I'm mildly interested in helping out with the title screen. Ok, maybe a little more than mildly :)

I took a look at the intro of the game. The intro and the title screen are a single 256k chunk. That is to say, the title screen part isn't a separate CD load. I found some interesting things while poking around in the debugger. First off, there's an unused 8x8 4bit font that's never used. It's not a full font (only ~36 titles) but it could be used to store 8x8 2bit font tiles or even 1bit tiles; aka a full custom font. It was probably a left over font for debug code or such.

The title screen is indeed compressed, but so are a lot of graphics assets for the intro and title screen parts (the font for the intro subtitling routine is stored on the system card though. Stock/typical stuff). Shouldn't be too hard to figure out what compression scheme it uses.

Also, here:
http://www.pcedev.net/rondo_translation/title_intro.png
I mapped the intro/title screen 256k cdram segment into a 256x1024 byte/pixel image and palette mapped color 0 and $ff to green and pink. Shows some possible free space areas (notably possible 8k free at the start, assuming this isn't used for work/decompression ram purposed).

Update: Found the title screen in the 256k block. The compression scheme is WORD variant RLE. Pretty straight forward. Now to write a decompressor.

Update2: The title screen data is soo compressed that a replacement one would have to have nearly any color detail in order to fit back in. Instead, I've located some free space (other than the suspicious 8k at the beginning). Just enough for about 60 raw 16x16 4bit color sprites. I have a quick modified make-shift title screen replacement/test that I grabbed from Frag's cover work. I'll write some special replacement control code to handle the uncompressed transfer and see how things go from there.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:30:01 pm by tomaitheous »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 09:18:30 pm »
Glad to know the legendary tomaitheous is on the case :thumbsup:

I appreciate the help, though some parts of your post where beyond me (again, my rom hacking knowledge has much to be improved upon) but if you have any questions Cubanraul would be the most qualified. His Email can be found on the front page of the patches site.

I'm happy that this project my some day get an English title screen :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:27:02 pm by Burnt Lasagna »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:53:49 am »
Hey, just nitpicking - but I think the stage titles would look better without the quotation marks, especially the Stage 4 one you've got there. Also, why "Atop the Corpses of Thy Brethren" but "Dinner of Flames"? It's like you've got two different translation styles going there. Would there be anything wrong with "Feast of Flames"?
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:08:54 am »
Also, why "Atop the Corpses of Thy Brethren" but "Dinner of Flames"?
You could read that first one? I sure as hell couldn't, until you pointed out what that says. >_>;

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 11:14:37 am »
Also, why "Atop the Corpses of Thy Brethren" but "Dinner of Flames"? It's like you've got two different translation styles going there. Would there be anything wrong with "Feast of Flames"?
I'm just using the translated level names that the PSP version had. ...So if the translation sucks it's not my fault.
You could read that first one? I sure as hell couldn't, until you pointed out what that says. >_>;
Yeah well, it's more readable in the actual game. I had to make some title cards smaller than others in order fit them in the limited space I had to work with.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 01:24:16 pm »
Ah. Sorry. It's been a loooooong time since I last played DXC.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 02:00:03 am »

Legendary??? Heh...

Made some progress:

Wrote a hook routine/system, then scraped it and rewrite it again to make it more flexible since the original title sprite assets are loaded in a series of three call/streams/blocks. Took advantage of a vram direct control code and put a hook that looks for invalid vram addresses (specifically $ffxx range), then proceeds if condition is true. I've aligned a large chunk of the replacement sprite data to align up with the original (setup like 32x64 sprites), but that SAT (sprite attribute table) data will need to be modified quite a bit for this. I traced through and found the three or four compressed/condensed SAT data for the title screen. I also traced and tracked down the three palettes for the title screen (two are for fade in). They're also compressed (condensed). I'll have to write a util to compress the raw pal data I have to that format before insertion. SAT data I'll probably just modify by hand. And I'll leave all the title screen sprite cells uncompressed in case anyone wants to modify them (avoiding messy compression stuff).

Also the original title screen has 'animation' that I'm going to remove (obviously the slashing X), so it's probably a good idea to remove the ADPCM sound effect for it.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 11:28:49 am »
Great work!

I noticed your still using the title that has the frame around Castlevania. Fragmare made one that doesn't have that in order to not obscure the castle in the background, it would also leave more room for the lightning effect. Here it is.

As for the ADPCM for the slash I'll have to hunt that down. It shouldn't be too difficult... in theory anyway.

odditude

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 12:52:08 pm »
alternatively, would using the newer-style cv logo with the existing palette require less SAT-mashing as it's more horizontal to begin with?

if it's an option, i'd say leaving in the titlescreen animations with the newer logo would be better than having the classic logo. i have no idea if that's practical, though.

Sliver X

• Master of Ceremonies
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 04:29:30 pm »
Just curious, but are the sign posts' text going to be translated? Didn't know if you missed these or if there's some kind of technical problem you're facing (Unlike the Ferryman's text, these go left to right/horizontal)? If it is technical, I could look into locating it sometime: I've done some minor PCE hacking in the past, but I'm nowhere near the level tomaitheous is.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 06:00:08 pm »
BL: Ohh, didn't see that one. Updated:

Also wrote the pal compressor today and inserted replacement pal data. Still need to make the two fade in ones for the set.

alternatively, would using the newer-style cv logo with the existing palette require less SAT-mashing as it's more horizontal to begin with?
Nah, still need to redo the SAT(s) either way.

if it's an option, i'd say leaving in the titlescreen animations with the newer logo would be better than having the classic logo. i have no idea if that's practical, though.
I was referring to the X slash (and graphic itself). Are you suggesting leaving in the X?

Sliver X: You're plenty capable and the more help the merrier ;) I was gonna look redoing the print routine for the intro; make it tighter with a better font (more room for text too).

BL: When I'm finished with the title screen part, I'll release to you all the assets/source/files/notes/etc.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 06:06:17 pm »
The title screen looks like it's shaping up nicely :)
Just curious, but are the sign posts' text going to be translated?
Where hoping we can but there not in the latest patch. I forgot to mention them in the readme/on the front page.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:16:46 pm by Burnt Lasagna »

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 06:29:47 pm »
Burnt Lasagna: Did you want to keep the X in the title screen? This is your project and you're the director, so give direction if you need to :)

odditude

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »
I was referring to the X slash (and graphic itself). Are you suggesting leaving in the X?
indeed, i was.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 07:45:23 pm »
Burnt Lasagna: Did you want to keep the X in the title screen? This is your project and you're the director, so give direction if you need to :)
Didn't notice that question by odditude until just know.

The title screen shouldn't have an X in it because the official name for the game in English doesn’t.

I've been thinking though, there are a group of people that prefer the original logo (mainly because of that fancy X) so when you’re done with this title screen hack would be possible to send me a patch of it that only includes your titles screen hack? I would then integrate that into the final and main patch but I will also make a separate patch that just swaps back an already patched game with the original title screen.

Also, I've located the ADPCM for the slash sound effect. I'll just fill it with silence and then reinsert it back into the game when your done with the title screen.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:11:04 am by Burnt Lasagna »