News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Small Localization Help?  (Read 8726 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Small Localization Help?
« on: November 11, 2011, 01:51:40 am »
I'm translating the Super Sentai series Zyuuranger for fun.

I've come into one naming problem.

The main mecha for the series is 大獣神. Literally the "Great Beast God". Obviously, this sounds like ass in English.

I made it a LITTLE less clunky by calling it the "Great Divine Beast".

But it's still not sitting right with me.

I want something that sounds like it's a cool name, not just a literal translation of the three kanji. Now, granted, I'd prefer something that retains some of the meaning in all three.

Any suggestions are welcome. It's beginning to really bother me. T_T

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Small Localization Help?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 02:13:42 am »
Most people just romanize the kanji and call him Daizyujin. Same with Goryujin ("Dragonzord in Fighting Mode"). Combined with King Brachion/Titanus, I'd half-translate it and call it Ultimate Daizyujin. I'm normally not much for leaving names untranslated, but seriously, those pretty much are the names.

This site should be a big help:

http://www.supersentai.com/database/1992_zyuranger/index.htm
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:24 am »
I'm heavily against it. Heavily.

That would be like calling the Guardian Beasts Shugojyuu. I don't want to leave any Japanese in my scripts if I can.

Come on, Ryusui. You're one of the people I was counting on to have a good localized answer! B(

~DS

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 02:29:43 am »
Great Divine Beast sounds pretty cool to me. Besides, isn't that some Power Rangers game? I think silly names go hand in hand with that show :P

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 02:47:27 am »
Great Divine Beast sounds pretty cool to me. Besides, isn't that some Power Rangers game? I think silly names go hand in hand with that show :P
It's the Japanese version of the show. And there's a giant fanbase behind it, so I want to find something that the fans will like.

I'm sure I'm going to potentially alienate some of them by translating it, but I'm hoping to find a name that some of them will go "Oh? That's not bad, really", or "Huh! That's pretty cool!"

~DS

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 04:01:25 am »
Like I said, I treat Daizyujin as a name, not something to be translated. Shugozyu as well. There's already some untranslated Japanese in the title ("Zyuranger"); I don't see much of a problem leaving some more in for the sake of consistency.

To be honest, I still use "Zord" and "Megazord" as catch-all names for the various robots and their combinations. >_>

Look, if you want to avoid using Japanese names, it's not a bad pick to simply use American terminology and Japanese everything else - or some other mix, I dunno. It's one of those choices you have to make. We both agree that it's lazy as hell to just leave things untranslated, but at the same time, we have to think of what's consistent: most people call it either Daizyujin or Megazord; it only makes sense to pick one of the two and go with that.

I know it's not the clear-cut flash of inspiration you were hoping for, but it's the best advice I can offer. Sorry.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:43:16 am »
See, I wasn't even going to leave it as "Zyuranger". I was for translating it as "Beastranger", or some other equivalent. The only reason we didn't was because the group is afraid of fan backlash. I was given creative freedom on anything else, though.

~DS

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 08:47:54 am »
I think the problem is that English kind of sucks sometimes for making ominous-sounding names.

You could try making a (faux-)Greek name out of Greek roots. Greek roots are great. "Great Beast God" would be Megazootheos. :)

Some other suggestions: I know it might piss off the fans, but you could consider saying "Super Battle Force" instead of "Super Sentai". Also, I'd be sure to use the plural "Rangers" unless only referring to one ranger. I guess that might go without saying, though.

Side note: While I was searching for Greek words I discovered that the phrase evangelion means to spread good news in Greek, similar to evangelize in English. I can't believe I never made the connection before.

HTH
Sign THIS!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 04:33:57 pm »
I think the problem is that English kind of sucks sometimes for making ominous-sounding names.

You could try making a (faux-)Greek name out of Greek roots. Greek roots are great. "Great Beast God" would be Megazootheos. :)

Some other suggestions: I know it might piss off the fans, but you could consider saying "Super Battle Force" instead of "Super Sentai". Also, I'd be sure to use the plural "Rangers" unless only referring to one ranger. I guess that might go without saying, though.

Side note: While I was searching for Greek words I discovered that the phrase evangelion means to spread good news in Greek, similar to evangelize in English. I can't believe I never made the connection before.

HTH
We use "Squadron" usually for sentai. So instead of Kyouryuu Sentai Zyuuranger, it's "Dinosaur Squadron Zyuuranger".

That greek thing sounds...awful. XD

Any other suggestions?

~DS

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 06:09:57 pm »
Do the people that play (or like) these games/series even want a weird translation?

"Dinosaur Squadron Zyuuranger" sounds awful. It loses all its cachet . And it had cachet baby, it had cachet up the ying yang.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 07:22:39 pm »
I'll say it again: I don't like leaving Japanese terms untranslated, but in this case, it's the only option that makes sense. If it's any consolation, you can always make up for it with good writing.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:02:14 pm »
Do the people that play (or like) these games/series even want a weird translation?

"Dinosaur Squadron Zyuuranger" sounds awful. It loses all its cachet . And it had cachet baby, it had cachet up the ying yang.
All of the series have names like that, though.

Kaizoku Sentai Goukaiger -> Pirate Task Force Goukaiger.

etc.

~DS

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 11:43:43 pm »
I have to agree with Ryusui on this one. This crops up now and then. We had a similar problem with this thing called the "Dark Arts Weapon". We discussed it here a bit if you want to read: (http://www.dynamic-designs.us/d-dforum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=203) I basically left it up to the re-writers but I recommended the transliteration "Madouki". If you want an English name though that's up to you. You may just need to get really creative.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 12:55:14 am »
We use "Squadron" usually for sentai. So instead of Kyouryuu Sentai Zyuuranger, it's "Dinosaur Squadron Zyuuranger".
Any other suggestions?

I'm a strong proponent of subtitles, so I suggest you break with convention and call it Beast Rangers: Dino Force. Although Beast Force Dino Rangers might actually have a better ring to it, on second thought, if only because it matches in rhythm with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

If you're really serious about this, I'd still recommend doing some research into Greek or even Old/Middle English vocabulary to get some ideas for good names.
Sign THIS!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 01:01:37 am »
I'm a strong proponent of subtitles, so I suggest you break with convention and call it Beast Rangers: Dino Force. Although Beast Force Dino Rangers might actually have a better ring to it, on second thought, if only because it matches in rhythm with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

If you're really serious about this, I'd still recommend doing some research into Greek or even Old/Middle English vocabulary to get some ideas for good names.
I actually really like this idea. But I tried proposing the idea of translating the title, and the leader of the group said no.

So everyone's saying I should go with Daizyuujin, and no one has any other ideas on how to translate it?

~DS

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 03:51:27 am »
I have to agree with Ryusui on this one. This crops up now and then. We had a similar problem with this thing called the "Dark Arts Weapon". We discussed it here a bit if you want to read: (http://www.dynamic-designs.us/d-dforum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=203) I basically left it up to the re-writers but I recommended the transliteration "Madouki". If you want an English name though that's up to you. You may just need to get really creative.

My fond memories of the NGPC are probably interfering with my common sense, but the term "Dark Arm" or "Dark Armament" comes to mind. (Dark Arms was a neat little overhead-perspective action game with RPG elements - one of my favorites.) "Sorcerous Arm," also. Or "Magick Arm." Maybe.

I actually really like this idea. But I tried proposing the idea of translating the title, and the leader of the group said no.

So everyone's saying I should go with Daizyuujin, and no one has any other ideas on how to translate it?

~DS

Daizyujin. One "u." Same with the title; "Zyuranger." Just Google search it; the latter gets more hits. Don't think of it as a term; think of it as name. I'm also a little unsure about the prospect of translating "Sentai" as well - "Super Sentai" is such a nice alliteration, at any rate.

God, I stand back and look at what I'm suggesting and realize I'm going against every freaking thing I would normally advocate. If I were coming into this fresh, I'd recommend translating everything. The Japanese terms are just too ingrained in my head now. >_<#

Look on the bright side, though: whatever ultimately goes into the game, it can't possibly be as bad as some of the fansubs I've seen. Whoever writes for TV-Nihon should be bludgeoned with a hardcover dictionary, dammit. De gozaimasu desu my ass...

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 04:47:10 am »
I'm not translating a game. I'm translating the series. I'm a member of the Grown Ups In Spandex. One of the groups who is totally against everything TV Nihon stands for.

I've already translated three episodes of Jetman, one of Zyuuranger, and the Abaranger summer movie. I just haven't had much time to translate else since I got my job.

I'm just going to stick with Great Divine Beast until something else comes up that I like. Then we'll just do a v2 of everything.

~DS

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 05:01:42 am »
O_O

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 12:15:48 pm »
Luckily for me, the Daizyujin never showed up in the NES game whilst translating it. It would have been a nightmare. It's bad enough getting the character names to sound semi-English.

But, you're asking for a localization, rather than a translation, right? I think that "Great Divine Beast" doesn't work very well, because you're implying that it's a Divine Beast rather than a God of the Great Beasts, or whatever. When I see "Daizyujin", I think Great Beast God, viewing the 'Jin' as a noun, rather than an adjective. Maybe approach it from that angle? Of all of the great beasts, (if you're going with 'dino ranger', then maybe dinosaurs), this is the ruler/master of them all. He puts them all to shame, etc.

Pencil

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 02:47:48 pm »
I know absolutely jack about sentai lore, so both of these are probably horrible, but they might serve as a starting point.

"Divine Chimera" might work, just 'cos it's the combined mech, or "Grand Behemoth" for the whole 'divine animal' thing.

Of course, both of these are Final Fantasy levels of mythology mangling, but maybe something along those lines (but more Japanese) could work?