News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack  (Read 17745 times)

Jazz

• View Profile
    • Jetran
Re: ROM Hacks: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 03:15:34 am »
Fuck this hack, the context of each joke is shitty.

Some like to see some swear words, some like a lot of them. I myself - don't really care. Just like your jokes, pick the right place and time - This isn't the forum for this type of hack. But anyway, like any risk - many will appose, many will sit on the fence, and few will appreciate. I like the fence with this one.
Jetran Website
View for Gameboy english translation projects

Discord: Jazz#9202

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 03:54:29 am »
***der hacks is the place for that.

Welp we do have Badderhacks-type of hacks here, so no use whining.

Fuck this hack, the context of each joke is shitty.  ::)

Some like to see some swear words, some like a lot of them. I myself - don't really care. Just like your jokes, pick the right place and time - This isn't the forum for this type of hack. But anyway, like any risk - many will appose, many will sit on the fence, and few will appreciate. I like the fence with this one.

I pressume you're sitting on a picket fence or a barbed-wire fence?  :laugh:

Zetshiro

• Rainbow!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 04:35:35 am »
I do appreciate the work you put into this hack, and I hope the comments here don't put you off. It's always good to keep on going, and to improve yourself--take the comments as constructive. Spooniest mentioned dissonance with the flow of the script, which I can definitely agree with. :)

If not for the crude jokes and the increased difficulty, this would probably be a decent hack. But those two things ruin it.

Heh, but isn't that...like, the main point of the hack? :P

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 04:58:00 am »
The description says what the hack contains. No one forces you to play it.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 06:56:24 pm »
Heh, but isn't that...like, the main point of the hack? :P
In a way, yes, but there were also new weapons added that you get from enemies. If that were a patch on it's own, it would be great.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

topcat

• I'm just a dirty comic that loves rpg's
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 05:09:39 pm »
Lmao!

ok, so it seems that this has not been too well recieved. :(

To start, commenting on the difficulty:
In the beginning, grind to get the rusty blade from melchoir. It has status effects that eliminate the difficulty and keep it a good weapon option through much of the game. Also, the avian chaos drops a seraph song that ups your pwr peramater by 6, as well as recovers 5mp and start you with a full battle guage at the beginning of a battle. Explore a little and want to get that new sword at the beginning, and those whiney... i mean criticisms become invalid. We have all likely play CT so many times that we fall into a mechanical pattern of how we do so, this is meant to break that cycle just a little bit. sorry if it's "work" to play this game with a new attitude.

for the dialogue:
as it was put here, there may have been a bit much, for some. i like cuss words, or swears if you come from a higher income bracket. some things did not flow as well as others. that is regrettable, but i stand by it.
As for Taban saying something about Lucas inventions, that is a glitch in the text editor. A few more areas have that, where a text box is replaces with another text box, and there is nothing that can be done. I caught a few & listed them in the readme, this one I missed.
Any text/spelling/grammer errors, well nobody is perfect & i caught as many as i could. I'm very done with this project & being the most tedius part of it, the text is what it is.

I appreciate the positive sentiments & the support where they came in. I can and will make another patch with the games original dialogue but the items and parameters will be changed. If the game comes across as too difficult, then play better! The updated weapons and armor make it necessary, or the game would be entirely too easy. In the clean version, there will again, be NO changes in dialogue so nobody will refer to the hidden items.

And as for instructions, i applied the patch to a headered rom and had no problems. If anybody followed common knowledge that is available to be read in getting started areas, they should be fine. I didnt think that there would be a neccessity, my bad... I will note that someone had trouble applying the patch & try to remember to mention aplying it to an unheadered rom.

That covers about everything, I think. I will put up a hack minus text edits soonish. The items alone do warrent a hack and can be shared with those that dont like my potty mouth.
Timothy Envy

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 06:31:17 pm »
Would there be a possibility of just releasing the difficulty/item changes and what not as a separate patch?  That itself is actually pretty worth of being noted.  There are a lot of difficulty patches but I don't really think I've seen one that added/modified items to an extent.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 07:13:08 pm »
But do change the references to lemonade/soda back into beer, if possible. I'd play that.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

topcat

• I'm just a dirty comic that loves rpg's
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 07:50:22 pm »
It is not likely that I will be willing to go back into the text editor and do anything with it again. That was the most tedious aspect of the project, and it inserts text bugs into the game. If I find some motivation, then maybe...

I will weigh all of this out in my head & move forward from there. At the very least I will make a patch w/ the difficulty and item changes.

*** I went to reload the original game text into the hack, as to keep the items and perameters without the "offensive" shit in it. It became unplayable, freezing right away. Due to the nature of these programs, text requiring a header and editor companion removing it, I will not be able to make any changes without redoing everything. As I am not willing to do that, there will not be any edits or other releases. If you don't like it, don't play it. If you want to check out the items, then deal with a mind unlike your own and suffer through my vulgarity.***
This hack is what it is.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:42:29 pm by topcat »
Timothy Envy