News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My first "translation"... Almost done... I'm stuck...  (Read 3329 times)

EricThaDead

• View Profile
    • DECI.ML
My first "translation"... Almost done... I'm stuck...
« on: November 01, 2011, 09:40:37 am »
Hello all! I am VERY new to ROM hacking, but I've been working on a "translation" of the little known, but awesome, Famicom wrestling game "Toukon Club." I can't read Kana at all, but I know my wrestling. And there isn't a ton of text anyway, so I haven't had much problem in that aspect. I'd say I'm about 85% from completion of this project, which surprises me because I've only been working on it for about a week lol. However, I've run in to a problem that I don't know how to deal with...

I'm trying to finish up the match result screens. They just tell you the length of the match, and in what manner the match ended (ie. pinfall, countout, time limit draw, etc.). I've replaced the 16x16 Kana characters with the appropriate English translations, and I was planning to just remove a couple of tiles via a hex editor that were repeated in Kana, but have no use in English... I don't think I'm explaining this too well, so here's some screenshots.

(The bottom right screen shows the extra tiles I'm attempting to remove, the other show where they came from lol)

My problem is this... Up to this point, I've been using FCEUX's PPU Viewer to find the correct values for the tiles. But, on ALL of these match result screens, the tiles don't show up in the PPU Viewer. It for some reason shows mostly the title screen tiles, and some wrestler tiles.

I've tried searching through the "Documents" section here, but everything I find says use Nesticle to get the tile values. And Unfortunately, Nesticle won't run this game...

So my question is this: Where do I go from here? All I want to do is set those extra few tiles tacked on at the end to blank tiles. Is there an alternate way to find the tile values in question? Or am I using the entirely wrong software to go about this in the first place?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. I really hate having to bother anyone else with this, especially since it's a game that, most likely, not too many people give a damn about.  :laugh:

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: My first "translation"... Almost done... I'm stuck...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:53:03 am »
Just so you know, 引き分け means "a tie".

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

EricThaDead

• View Profile
    • DECI.ML
Re: My first \"translation\"... Almost done... I\'m stuck...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:12:28 am »
Much appreciated!  :)

Unfortunately, I can't think of a way for the tiles used in the 分け characters to apply to both the match length and the tiles used when a tie/draw/no contest occurs  :-\

Something has to go, and those tiles seem the least valuable.

Edit:
Aha! I figured it out!

For anyone else who runs into this problem in the future, you can also get tile values by opening FCEUX's Name Table Viewer and hovering your mouse over the tiles in question.  :)

(And I might change "Time Expired" to "Time Limit Draw" to account for "a tie," as pointed out by DarknessSavior  :))
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:13:42 pm by EricThaDead »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:06:36 pm »
*grumble* *grumble*

I was planning on doing this game eventually. Not really a big deal, but I'd be willing to offer advice and possibly help with hacking.

EricThaDead

• View Profile
    • DECI.ML
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:34:24 pm »
I'm really nearly done. I think all that's left for me to do is see if I can figure out how to fit full wrestler names in the allotted space (I don't like abbreviating them), go back and clean up all my fonts so they look uniform and clean, and mess with the title screen some more, as I'm not satisfied with it.

If you'd like to take a look at some screenshots, I'd love to have a second opinion on some of the things I've done. I've posted a few here:)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:57:54 pm »
You make the names display on two lines, but that requires you to get your feet wet in ASM.

Really the only limitation for title screens are how many unique tiles you can use. I'd probably go with a multi-color "WRESTLING CLUB" and I don't think I'd leave it as Toukon. Pretty sure it's translated as wrestling anyway.

Also I recall the game having plenty of free space to take advantage, so abbreviations on the title screen etc. probably aren't necessary as the text can be simply moved to a more spacious area.

EricThaDead

• View Profile
    • DECI.ML
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:24:13 pm »
According to my (painstaking) research, the top text on the title screen, 闘魂倶楽部, means "Fighting Spirit Club." Which makes sense as "Fighting Spirit" is a common phrase in regards to Japanese Pro Wrestling, especially when related to video games.

The subtext, とうこんくらぶ, apparently means "tou kon kurabu," or tou kon club.

I guess I was just keeping it as "Toukon Club" because that's how I've seen this game refered to.

I really like the "Fighting Spirit" though...

Maybe I'll do the multicolor top text as "Fighting Spirit," and have the subtext "Toukon Club." Or "Wrestling Club." Thoughts?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:38:07 pm »
Fight Club comes to mind and although it might be misleading/not entirely faithful to the source title, I'd still use it. Otherwise Fighting Spirit seems like a good match. If you're gonna do a subtitle, might as well keep the original (Toukon Club).

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 01:13:16 am »
*grumble* *grumble*

To the writer of this thread, props on figgering it for yerself, dood.