News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Contra Demo - Fifth Edition  (Read 4456 times)

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Contra Demo - Fifth Edition
« on: October 30, 2011, 06:01:09 pm »
Here we go. After almost a year, I've got something for all Contra fans out there. The fifth edition of my demo hack is complete, with the usual ASM tweaks and added difficulty...

I used a new ROM because the remaining free space on the first hack with level 1 to 4 was almost completely maxed out. So when you start a new game, you start on level 5. ROM expansion would have been nice, but I didn't want to spend time on that and concentrate on level design without having to count the unused bytes left on the ROM...

It's a single new level, as I did with all other versions of my demo, but a very long one at that: 53 screens. We now have the Turret Men, with more fierce attacks and more HP. The Tank is the enemy that had the most changes, with faster bullets and something added from scratch: a mortar launcher. Finally, the Boss, which I call the Alien Carrier, with a lot more HP and overall more dangerous. Play the hack to see for yourself...

Contra - Demo Part 2 - Level 5

I made a quick review of the comments that popped up in the previous threads dedicated to my demo, and some of the ideas are interesting. I am still working on proofs of concepts and see what can be done and what could be added to the hack...

Comments and questions are welcome...

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
Re: Contra Demo - Fifth Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:07:13 pm »
Great work! This is the best level yet. I hope you'll cram it all into an expanded ROM when it's done. My only minor gripe is that sometimes the guys with the mounted guns seem a bit unfair, but it isn't a huge issue since they're mostly easy to remember.

It's awesome to be able to enjoy Contra again. These levels are perfect for somebody who has mastered the original game.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 01:06:37 am »
In the game's engine, the Turret Man (0E) and the Turret Man's projectile (0F) are two separate enemies. I changed the projectile's properties for speed, while the Turret Man's AI routines were kept unchanged. By default, the Turret Man has only one attribute, using 2 bits, that determine the frequency of the shots:

00: 0 * 10 + 30 = 30
01: 1 * 10 + 30 = 40
02: 2 * 10 + 30 = 50
03: 3 * 10 + 30 = 60

So the Turret Man with attribute 00 shoots more bullets per minute, and consequently, has a shorter delay between the point where it appears on screen and its first attack. The delay between bullets can be easily randomized. I also made the bullets quite fast, with a velocity of -480 (FB 80) instead of the original -280 (FD 80). As usual, balance is key, but it's not easy to evaluate...

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 07:42:31 pm »
Awesome! I was really hoping you would come back to Contra and had somewhat given up hope since it has been so long since the last release. I will throw this latest one at my friends and let you know how we fare. It would be great if you could cram all your levels into one ROM, but I am just happy to have more brutally difficult Contra to play for now.

Cheers.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 12:19:33 am »
You considered using a military style font in the game, take a look at this
http://www.romhacking.net/fonts/77/