News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V Sound Restoration  (Read 23096 times)

Deathlike2

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V Sound Restoration
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 01:39:08 am »
This is one of the few times I am reminded why FF4A needs something like this patch.

When every holy sword (Legend, Excalibur, etc) sounds like pipes hitting some flutes or something, it drives me craaaaaaazy. The Icebrand also sounds like complete crap too.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 12:58:40 pm »
I just had a listen and while it's much better sequenced than the v1.0 of this patch, the orchestral opening is still off toward the end. :-\ I know that even the original GBA version got it wrong too, and while this is still preferable to how the vanilla GBA version did it, it's still jarring.

The cymbal crashes are supposed to be spot on with the crystal breaking, and the period of silence is supposed to be in the black transitioning screen as it fades in to Boco and Bartz.

I do very much appreciate the effort however. :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 01:38:10 pm »
I just had a listen and while it's much better sequenced than the v1.0 of this patch, the orchestral opening is still off toward the end.  I know that even the original GBA version got it wrong too, and while this is still preferable to how the vanilla GBA version did it, it's still jarring.
Yes, in the original SNES version there is this strong note when the cristal is explosing (which doesn't happen in the "vanilla" GBA version and also doesn't happen if you play the SNES original on a PAL SNES for example), but I never know if this synchronization was on purpose or if it was just some coincidence. That is because you know the intro is never entirely played in the SNES version, there is a good part of the song that will never be heard in the Boco / Barz scene (this also happens in the GBA "vanilla" version  and in my verison), which makes me thing Uematsu composed the song as it and that they inserted it in the SNES game without thinking too much, and it just happened that the crystal exploded at the time this "strong note" plays.
I also wanted the orchestra to play at the exact time of the explosion of the cristal but it would have been hard to do, because a part of the intro is lacking in the orchestral version I had to slow it down to 80% of its tempo for this version (the version 1.0 didn't alter the tempo), but to have this note at the explosion of the cristal I'd had to slow it down even further to ~65%, and it would sound really slow but also create a lot of artifacts in the sounds, and then the Butz&Chocobo part would start too late so the end of the intro would have to be fastened, and it would sound even weirder so this is why I did it like it it.

Now I'm really glad some people appreciate the hack, which the first posts did make me thought of the opposite. I guess I just wasn't lucky with the first people to comment here.

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 10:28:44 pm »
I had always thought that strong note when the crystal broke was purposeful, seems to fit incredibly well. But it's not a real problem to me regardless. Minor little thing.

Trust me Bregalad, there are big fans of your work, myself included. As i said, i do not play these games without your hacks anymore. I wouldn't consider putting myself through the ear rape that was the original non-hacked version. Thanks so much for that.

Any idea what you're planning on doing in the future in regards to sound restoration? Improvements, or perhaps restorations for other games we should get hyped for?  ;)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 09:15:42 am »
VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE
There was a bug in this released patch which would cause the game to crash whenever the "ExDeath Castle" music was to play. To fix this bug, you should go to offset 0x5406b0 and replace the byte 0xCC by 0xC4.
I am very sorry for this inconvenience, and I will release an updated patch as soon as possible fixing this bug.

EDIT :
Now the new patch is online on RHDN.
Again I apologize inconvenience.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:24:41 am by Bregalad »

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »
I wonder if you can also release a patch that excludes the streaming music.
You can insert GBA roms into that big 1.29MB hole in FF5, and Pogoshell will let you play them.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 07:21:04 am »
Feel free to insert anything in this huge "hole" if you don't bother crappy random sound playing during the intro.

Rion

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 10:14:44 am »
Bregalad, thank you very much for this amazing patch, but can you port it to the usa version? Cuz i wanna play translated(on russian language) version of ff5, and that translate patch works only on usa version, so i cant use both patches on one rom :(
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:48:22 am by Rion »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 11:55:26 am »
Unfortunately I can't easily port them to the USA version. This would be very possible, but I would need to do a lot of work again to re-insert pointers so it'd be a few weeks of free time I'd have to spend just for you, not very exciting.
It sucks the Russian translators based themselves on the USA version though... isn't there any Russian translation of the SNES original ROM ?

Rion

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 02:00:45 am »
This would be very possible, but I would need to do a lot of work again to re-insert pointers so it'd be a few weeks of free time I'd have to spend just for you, not very exciting.
Too bad...
| isn't there any Russian translation of the SNES original ROM ?
Yes, it is, but quality of translation is horrible, lots of misspelled words, some location even untranslated. There is also translation of psx version, but it's unemulatable, emulator crushes every time, when i try begin new game. I tried to use different emulators and plugins, but result is the same.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:28:53 am by Rion »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 12:27:49 pm »
In fact I made the hacks for the europen version for the only reason that if someone that speaks German, French, Italian or Spanish want to play the hack, they could.

X-or

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 12:39:12 am »
Sorry to dig such an old topic, but I don't see a better place to post this. After using this patch for a while and listening again the original gba music, I have come to the conclusion the original music sounds better overall. Sure it's different from the snes music but it had its charm. Besides some musics like the intro music is some sort of arranged shit that doesn't sound like the snes at all, and ruin all of this patch overall. Sorry but I am trashing this.