News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Tales Of Rebirth Japanese translator needed  (Read 15858 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Tales Of Rebirth Japanese translator needed
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:41:44 am »

Update By: Vash

Active Translators
Valiarchon

Hackers
Vash / StorMyu / Lewnatic

Editors
Lewnatic & Conn

Inactive
Snoozysam (English Translation)

17/10/2011 - Project Announcement
There has been much debate within this project about when it could be the right time to make this announcement -- is there even a right time?
We couldn't really answer that, however we thought now is as good a time as any: when we have progress to show and are happy to invite help!
So, with that I am happy to announce a new translation project for Tales of Rebirth (PS2 and PSP).

The project really began in 2010, when it escalated into a full team of hackers, translators, editors and any other roles you can think of!
We're all happy with the progress made, but there is still much left to do, so, even though this post is an announcement of the project, you can think of it as an advertisement for help.
We are looking for someone with adequate Japanese to English translation skills. Do you think you fit that criteria and have an interest in joining our team as a translator? Drop me a personal message on this forum and we'll talk some more.

Screenshots
Any and all translations are subject to change.

Relevant Link: (http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90248&start=0)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Translations: Tales Of Rebirth Japanese translator needed
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:56:19 am »
Nice, I hope this project will come through. It's a game that seems to be worth being translated.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:13:38 pm »
Kind off-topic, but the announcement is on an official Namco forum? :o
That seems kinda bold. ;D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:30:04 pm »
Oh, dear... It really is...

fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:34:32 pm »
WTF announcing it on Namco's own board  :laugh: :thumbsup: But anyway, all the best luck to you finding a translator (and not getting closed down before by Namco  ^^;)

StorMyu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 12:55:46 pm »
They don't really care actually...
there's lots of "semi" patch, random people who uses an hex editor just to get things done.
like:
http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90210
http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85140
http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=87595

So no worry ^^

Lewnatic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 02:51:17 pm »
Why not? This is where the fan base lies. Namco won't shut it down, there are plenty of topics like that on there. They don't care.

Anyone who is interested in becoming a translator, PM me on here!

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 03:42:47 pm »
This looks great.  Good luck finding someone to help with it!  (I would, but a full-time job and a decided lack of Japanese language skills disqualifies me.)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 04:39:50 pm »
^Namco's own board is pretty much the only really active Tales community (and it's also a frightening place). Lots of fantranslation efforts and plenty of "grey area" activity going on there too, but for the majority just fangasming over all sorts of stuff (at least that's my impression of the place).

StorMyu (and the rest of the team); cool to see you guys showing it off in public now, although I'm not really seeing much difference from the stuff you showed me in private at some point in the past - so here's to hoping you people have got some more stuff wrapped up.

Would be cool if you guys could join in on the consistency fun, though. Dropping the queen's English and synchronizing terminology with the rest of the "major" efforts. As you might know; Phantasian Productions (ToP/ToDrDC/ToD2), Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site (TotW ND2-3, SamoRine, ToH), Absolute Zero (ToP/ToI/ToDrDC) and the Graces/Vesperia guys (ToV - ToGWii/ToGf cancelled) are all sharing and synchronizing a whole lot of franchise terminology (cross-project), ensuring thorough and complete franchise consistency (where applicable) -  following both the official translations for stuff and making group based decissions and agreements for terms that have yet to receive proper official translations or where the currently available translations are either inconsistent or somehow notably faulty - especially for artes, character names and so forth. Of course, many of the previous projects have opted for multiple DBs for certain parts of the terminology, appealing to fans of both the literal and localized. Would be great if you guys would get in on it all too.

Also, if you're still looking for a translator and your script dump is a presentable format/structure, "Ruta" from the Graces/Vesperia PS3 team has several times voiced her interest in working on a translation for Rebirth. Just sayin' ;)

Lewnatic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:05:18 pm »
I wasn't aware that Storm had shown you screens, but he must have shown you at least the latest ones because these are brand new. The font has literally just been finished.

I approached Ruta, but she unfortunately declined. I can't remember why, I think she said it was to do with her being too "stubborn" to work aside people also translating.

Regarding the cross-project idea, I like it but I think it can be messy. I've found differences in terminology across all 3 teams (for example, Cless doesn't like Syrup Bottle as a localization and so he doesn't use it) so I'm not really sure how to go about it, and I don't want to get caught up in a "you stole my translation!" fiasco. Sitting everyone round a table opening a discussion on what to localize 鋼体 as? I suppose we can look into it during editing.
In regards to DBs for multiple terminology, I've never been a fan of that... I respect fans that have a genuine taste in the original Japanese, but most of them are (pardon my French) "weeaboos" that like their stuff literal because they like the way Veigue shouts Zehhyoujin. And I'm certainly not about to go replace Claire with Kurea, as fun as that may be.
I wasn't completely sold on using British English to begin with, but members of the team pointed out that they liked it and since I am British I just stuck with it. I would definitely consider looking into it again, sometimes I even slip and end up writing American English anyway.

Carnivol

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 09:12:29 pm »
Before I get on with my full answer, I'll just throw in my own "Where do I come in" thing (+highlight the fact that I'm currently drinking/celebrating);
I'm just the guy that kinda heavily wanted to see the groups get closer and work a bit more together. "Monitoring" each one's efforts and more or less being rather open to each one of them of what I think of both them, their work and the work of the others. Inderictly assisting in keeping them in the loop, more or less. I also tend to challenge their good talent and sound decisions (and probably patience too :D) by throwing in random feedback and "why don't you...?"s. My only real notable contribution to the whole "mess" would be synonyms, attention to detail, recognition of quality and personal approval of certain types of system/platform specific stuff.

I wasn't aware that Storm had shown you screens, but he must have shown you at least the latest ones because these are brand new. The font has literally just been finished.

I was shown some stuff back in ... seems like I don't have the logs on this computer, so I guess it must've been like at least 8+ months ago. Only basic dialog and the usual menu. Basically the next step after some proof-of-concept type of stuff, but as far as my memory goes... didn't look too different from what I'm seeing now.

I approached Ruta, but she unfortunately declined. I can't remember why, I think she said it was to do with her being too "stubborn" to work aside people also translating.

Not exactly the way I've heard that this story goes.

From what I've heard, it was more like she not knowing the team and their general mindset (yet) and how she'd prefer to be working at her own pace (which admitably can be slow, but at least thorough). Rather than churning out stuff at too fast a speed, since it's a title that's been on the list of potential "to do"s for a while. "First gonna do something? Do it properly!" and all that. To which, as far as I know, an offer to at least double-check a few things here and there was given. An offer which was apparently turned down in a rather rude manner after "someone" apparently felt the other part was incapable of delivering content meeting their expectations and what was offered as a potential solution was apparently not good enough.

Anyway, that's my spin on the post-its I was slipped on the subject. Dunno if she was approached before or after I vouched for her, but I'm still willin' to say she's the "go to" person for this project, but only if you're able to work together. (Hell hath no fury like a translator scorned for balderdash)

Regarding the cross-project idea, I like it but I think it can be messy.

Yup. But once the mess is cleaned up, things really starts to shine. Not afraid of getting your hands dirty, are you? So far, I'd say the innitial work on ToDrDC (which will also be properly reflected in ToD2 later), what was done on ToG/ToGf, what's currently done on ToV (PS3), how ToI ended up and ToH has really benefit from the amount of hours that a tenfold of people spent chewing eachother's heads off about which piece of the puzzle goes where and which terms should be what based on similar terms, official translations of related terms and all that jibber jabber.

I've found differences in terminology across all 3 teams (for example, Cless doesn't like Syrup Bottle as a localization and so he doesn't use it) so I'm not really sure how to go about it, and I don't want to get caught up in a "you stole my translation!" fiasco. Sitting everyone round a table opening a discussion on what to localize 鋼体 as? I suppose we can look into it during editing.

Disagreements will almost always occur on a stray term here and there. Whether or not the individual group follows through with a decision they don't like or not is up to them. They're all adults (or at least so I keep telling myself), so they're not really killing one another and freezing eachother out just 'cause someone has different opinion over some ol' legacy censorship. Don't really see why the whole "You stole my translation!" thing is brought up. That's the kind of stuff you really only see where either kids are involved (or immature people), where people start using random FAQs and so forth as reference material (without having permission to do so, nor properly crediting their reference sources - regardless of how minor they may be) and where people just generally are so full of themselves that it's either their way or the highway.

As for the whole 鋼体 thing; when troublesome terms comes up, the first thing to do is to look at the context. Can't translate it directly in a way that makes sense or conveys the message in a short and concise method? Try to write around it in the given context... like... "will harden one's body like steel". Look for an alternative... like using a graphical icon to symbolize its effect instead. Or see whether or not it's even needed there in the first place.

In regards to DBs for multiple terminology, I've never been a fan of that... I respect fans that have a genuine taste in the original Japanese, but most of them are (pardon my French) "weeaboos" that like their stuff literal because they like the way Veigue shouts Zehhyoujin. And I'm certainly not about to go replace Claire with Kurea, as fun as that may be.

Not sure if you're joking or not here... (or more like, I want to believe that you are). Yes. There are "weeaboos" that clamor the most absurd stuff (for what's potentially even worse a reason). Especially when your examples are as silly as they are.

I'll just list the multi DB implementations I recall at the top of my head right now (of course, the clockwork that powers some of these features are radically different, and fantranslations for other games/franchises -such as Dragon Quest- have often opted for simpler and less flashy solutions; such as just having two final patches. One for each naming convention. Now THAT is fanservice I can approve of!)

ToP (AZ) - Has the option of either using Romanized or Translated arte sets. (Selectable at boot up) The Romanized ones would probably be your "weeaboo" approach. I don't like them, you don't like, together we don't like them. Chances are we didn't use Romanized then, but others certainly have. Translated featured throughhim's own spin on most of the terminology. Rather than heavily borrowing from the official ones (and probably also liberating itself from the the cross-group terms, although I think mainly Kaji, Gogs and throughhim did the talk there. No Graces people involved.)

ToP (PP) - Innitially has the option of using Romanized and Localized for the terminology (found in the customize/config screen), but once a certain character joins another option is added to the list (Cultural). They work the same as the AZ patch, but with official terminology being used instead of having a more liberal spin on everything. This along with the final option that decides how a lot of the stuff surrounding Suzu is handled (since that stuff isn't really in Japanese.)

ToI (AZ) - Let's you pick between Localized, Romanized and Translated (in the Customize screen). Basically giving you all of the above.

ToH (KE) - Let's you pick between ... crap. I forgot. That feature might've not been ready yet in the demo, so Kaji must murder me now if I say something inaccurate. At least the demo patch introduced a new feature, since the real weeaboos showed up and started moaning about the names... the game currently lets you either start with the names "as most likely intended" if you just start a new game, but if you hold L pressed as you start up you'll activate the "Localized" names (How the team has interpreted that these names would likely be treated in an official English translation, given their heavy focus on specific themes) and then you have the mighty R button, which unlocks the power of ROCARIZED names for them weeaboos (This being mainly based around the horrifying shit seen on the official website and so forth)

ToDrDC/ToD2 (PP/AZ) - Nothing's decided here yet, but it's not unreasonable to assume that there'll be multiple Arte DBs and possibly at least a choice of several name DBs (My money would in such a scenario be on something like; Legacy, Localized and Romanized for names and Legacy, Localized and Romanized for Artes.)

To? (???) - Nothing's decided yet. Nothing's revealed yet.

I wasn't completely sold on using British English to begin with, but members of the team pointed out that they liked it and since I am British I just stuck with it. I would definitely consider looking into it again, sometimes I even slip and end up writing American English anyway.

The Graces guys got a lot of shit tossed their way for going UK (technically Canadian in their case) instead of US on Graces/Graces f. This both from the guys on the inside and the outside. Vesperia is to my knowledge currently using US, mostly as a result of the feedback. Of course, nothing is stopping you from using UK English, if that's what you for some reason would really want or find the most convenient. But it's pretty silly and somewhat unprofessional in terms of franchise consistency, attention to detail and servicing the target audience (as I suppose you might be doing this as not just something for yourself to enjoy, but for others too)

StorMyu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 09:23:31 pm »
*snip*
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:44:14 am by StorMyu »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 03:46:11 am »

The Graces guys got a lot of shit tossed their way for going UK (technically Canadian in their case) instead of US on Graces/Graces f. This both from the guys on the inside and the outside. Vesperia is to my knowledge currently using US, mostly as a result of the feedback. Of course, nothing is stopping you from using UK English, if that's what you for some reason would really want or find the most convenient. But it's pretty silly and somewhat unprofessional in terms of franchise consistency, attention to detail and servicing the target audience (as I suppose you might be doing this as not just something for yourself to enjoy, but for others too)

Target audience = retarded Americans who can't read proper English?
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 04:01:24 am »
I wouldn't put it that way... Rather spoiled US gamers. No need to put it so harshly. :P

Though, there is a point with the official consistency issue.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Lewnatic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 04:33:36 am »
Not exactly the way I've heard that this story goes.

From what I've heard, it was more like she not knowing the team and their general mindset (yet) and how she'd prefer to be working at her own pace (which admitably can be slow, but at least thorough). Rather than churning out stuff at too fast a speed, since it's a title that's been on the list of potential "to do"s for a while. "First gonna do something? Do it properly!" and all that. To which, as far as I know, an offer to at least double-check a few things here and there was given. An offer which was apparently turned down in a rather rude manner after "someone" apparently felt the other part was incapable of delivering content meeting their expectations and what was offered as a potential solution was apparently not good enough.
Forgive me, but re-reading my post that came out completely wrong. The whole "stubborn" thing were her words, not mine. I don't have the email anymore, but she definitely said something along those lines. I don't recall getting a second offer, and I certainly wouldn't have been "rude" about it had she offered one because I would have taken any help I could get from her.

... just generally are so full of themselves that it's either their way or the highway.
I'm hoping this isn't a crack at me. I'm not saying it's my way or the highway, we just have an idea about how we want our project to go. I'm not limited to any of the stuff you think we should do, I'm happy to try it all given that it doesn't cause problems.

Not sure if you're joking or not here... (or more like, I want to believe that you are). Yes. There are "weeaboos" that clamor the most absurd stuff (for what's potentially even worse a reason). Especially when your examples are as silly as they are.
Silly examples, but very true.

Anyway, thank you for your input. It's been helpful bar a couple of unnecessary comments and I will definitely take it all on board.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:46:40 am by Lewnatic »

Carnivol

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 09:16:18 am »
*snip*

Spoke with you on the chat last night. (Just sayin', for everyone's viewing pleasure.) As always, a pleasure. Worries me a bit to see that I'm not the only one with such an upside down sleep pattern, though  :laugh:

Target audience = retarded Americans who can't read proper English?

Eating my breakfast here. I almost choked on something now!
Actually, last night, when talking to StorMyu a little, I was more like referring to it all as a piece of linguistic (d?)evolution. "UK English", as at least I know it from my school days, really is a dying breed. Guess you could blame the Internet or the ever wider availability of media in US English, I suppose...

Forgive me, but re-reading my post that came out completely wrong. The whole "stubborn" thing were her words, not mine. I don't have the email anymore, but she definitely said something along those lines. I don't recall getting a second offer, and I certainly wouldn't have been "rude" about it had she offered one because I would have taken any help I could get from her.

Well, maybe your intentions were the best, but ultimately the way you replied came off as sounding a bit rude? I seem to be a bit of a master myself on that front and constantly worry about that when I really only mean well.

I'm hoping this isn't a crack at me. I'm not saying it's my way or the highway, we just have an idea about how we want our project to go. I'm not limited to any of the stuff you think we should do, I'm happy to try it all given that it doesn't cause problems.
Silly examples, but very true.

Was basically just generalizing stuff and throwing out how I see the world at times. I think anyone can find ways to identify themselves with almost anything if they're either paranoid enough or try hard enough to find ways to link things together. Don't lose any sleep over what I'm saying (unless those hours are spent doing awesome stuff! ;D)

Anyway, thank you for your input. It's been helpful bar a couple of unnecessary comments and I will definitely take it all on board.

You're welcome.
Just hope I'm not demotivating any of you guys or anything like that. Having poked my nose into the activities of people working on pretty much every major Tales translation that's taken place during my adult life, it's all been done out of love, appreciation and probably an equally strong desire as one's own to ensure that what one ultimately releases is an enjoyable experience that everyone onboard could and should be very proud of. :) Anyway, people wont always agree on all points, but it always feels good when people, together, make decisions that they all can agree upon. Take it from someone who's almost made a living out of poking his nose into other people's business, helping them make improvements where possible or necessary and making them see things they didn't see before. (I seriously must sound like an ass when I'm sober too.)

Saw your PMs, by the way. A bit short on time now, but I'll get back to you there too. Hoping you'll be able to join me (and evt. "everyone else") for a little chat sometime in the future, like StorMyu sometimes does. Even if it's not project specific or reaching out for anything, it's always nice to be on good terms with one another and at least getting to know eachother a little bit in free talk :)

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 07:26:12 am »
Dude. You guys are doing Dragon Quest Translation Wars totally wrong. At this point you're supposed to be tossing out insults and criticizing each others approach using words like moron, idiot, and jackass with bonus points for pointing out absurdity in earlier work.

On a more serious note, looking awesome so far. Very much looking forward to this one. This looked to be an epic game from what little I played of it and the screenshots look beautiful.

StorMyu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 08:22:00 am »
Dude. You guys are doing Dragon Quest Translation Wars totally wrong. At this point you're supposed to be tossing out insults and criticizing each others approach using words like moron, idiot, and jackass with bonus points for pointing out absurdity in earlier work.
Since I've never played any Dragon Quest, I didn't understand what Carnivol wanted to say...
Can anyone explain this Dragon Quest "war" ?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 02:33:40 pm »
I'm not old-school enough to really know what Neil is talking about, but I'm guessing when ROM translations first started, there were people/groups fighting over who gets credit for translating the not-officially-translated DQ (as well as Final Fantasy) games first.
(you know, the really high profile games 8/16-bit games)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Carnivol

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 04:49:03 pm »
If it's an all out war; point me to where Team Woolsey will set up camp and I'll proudly carry that banner!

Since I've never played any Dragon Quest, I didn't understand what Carnivol wanted to say...
Can anyone explain this Dragon Quest "war" ?

Basically, Dragon Quest games used to be really serious business on the translation front.
As I saw it; you'd have people coming towards the games and translations projects from multiple angles (mainly 3 different groups, where you'd usually have people who'd stand with their legs well spread and thus with one foot in each two different groups).

1. You'd have the Dragon Warrior fans who knew the first four games from the US localizations on NES (done by Nintendo).
2. You'd have the Purists who'd come from all sorts of places, but always having the "Japanese > Everything"
3. You'd have the Akira Toriyama (mainly Dragon Ball) fans who'd come from all over the place too.

Mix and match those as you see fit and you've got the recipe for disaster and hateful discussion (and aforementioned insults). This between both fans waiting for (or requesting) (re)translations and from multiple teams doing their own approaches to games others had already done before. (Instead of just all being friends and evt. meeting on mutual ground and accepting eachother's differences and just wokring out solutions that worked.)

Not to derail entirely here now; but come to think of it, were any translations ever even "properly" finished or did people just spend all their time throwing insults, expressing how their collective childhoods were raped, and (I'm pretty sure this actually happened at least once) sacrificing unborn babies for "the greater good"?

Closest you get to that kind of stuff now is probably the 0-day efforts done on new Square-Enix releases in already established franchises and Pokémon games  :laugh:

On the subject of Tales of Rebirth; It's a really great game. Actually still a real shame that it didn't get an official English release. Out of the PS2-era Tales games, it's probably the one I secretly like the most.