News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Some items to translate.  (Read 2191 times)

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
Some items to translate.
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:52:32 am »
Need a second opinion on this item list. Some of them I know, but some like "buibui"... I just have no idea...

Equipment:
しない
ぼくとう
どうとう
ぎんとう
きんとう
てつぼー
どうぼー
てんちまる
しんけんまる
ものほしざお
しょうりゅう
あたか
おにわか
むつのかみ
ばよねっと
きあいはちまき
ちからはちまき

Recovery items:
ごくろさん
おりご
ぶいぶい

Key items:
つうこうてがた
ゆたかがみ  
てっぱん
とうぞくのかぎ
ほこらのかぎ
きのかぎ 
1まんりょう
ぎんのかぎ 
きんのかぎ
がまのあぶら
だいちのこづち
がまのかぎ
インタマ

Thanks in advance!

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
Re: Some items to translate.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:06:27 am »
I did some:

しない — fencing stick
ぼくとう — wooden sword
どうとう — copper sword
ぎんとう — silver sword
きんとう — gold sword
てつぼー — tetsubo (alternatively, 'iron rod', but どうぼー seems to be a copper variant, which of course makes no sense.)

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:16:53 pm »
Well, some of them I can say for certain.

しない: Shinai (a bamboo practice sword used in kendo)
ぼくとう: Wooden sword
どうとう: Copper sword
ぎんとう: Silver sword
きんとう: Golden sword
てつぼー: Iron staff
どうぼー: Copper staff
ものほしざお: Clothespole
ばよねっと: Bayonet
きあいはちまき: Fight headband (the term “kiai” is kind of tricky)
ちからはちまき: Power headband

For the other pieces of equipment, the names have meaning, but I believe they are intended to be named equips.

つうこうてがた: Pass (as in a “card, ticket, or permit giving authorization for the holder to enter or have access to a place, form of transportation, or event.” [NOAD])
てっぱん: Iron plate
とうぞくのかぎ: Bandit’s key
ほこらのかぎ: Shrine key
きのかぎ: Wooden key
1まんりょう: 10000 ryo (basically, a whole lot of money)
ぎんのかぎ: Silver key
きんのかぎ: Golden key
がまのあぶら: Toad’s fat
がまのかぎ: Toad’s key
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:10:52 pm »
Thanks ) And I'm extremely interested in your ideas in the recovery items )

For the other pieces of equipment, the names have meaning, but I believe they are intended to be named equips.
Those names I took from the manual - they somehow put them to the equips category ) The saddest thing, the manual in the item section is also kana only...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 07:36:20 pm by aishsha »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:03:18 pm »
Well, the healing items sound like they’re all wordplay, and I just know I’m not in on the joke, but if I had to guess... :)

ごくろさん - sounds to me like the phrase ご苦労様, but the lack of the う makes it sound like it’s ご黒さん or something (and kampō certainly has “pills” that are dispensed in little black balls)
おりご - sounds a bit like ありがとう with very little enunciation. But オリゴ is also a transliteration of the  prefix “oligo-”, which shows up in
ぶいぶい - sounds like “V V”? That’s what it often means these days. But it’s also the supposed sound a certain kind of beetle makes, and apparently it’s a dated way of booing people.

For the named equipment, these are the most likely kanji, but there are no guarantees. Plus, it doesn’t really change the fact that they are names and don’t really translate.

てんちまる - 天地丸 - Heaven and Earth + the suffix -maru (applied to names of animals, ships, swords, and at one time young boys, its usual explained meaning is that it is completely like something or other)
しんけんまる - 真剣丸 - “shinken” both means a “real sword” and “serious”
しょうりゅう - 昇龍 - Rising Dragon (this is armor, it seems)
あたか - 安宅 - Ataka, an area of Komatsu, and also the title of a Noh play; its literal meaning is “safe house”, which is what it means if pronounced “antaku” instead (might also be a pun on “attacker”)
おにわか - 鬼若 - Oni + suffix “waka” (meaning “young”, and in olden times this was often used in young boys’ names, sometimes along with “maru”). The actual name Oniwaka was the boyhood name of Benkei.
むつのかみ - 陸奥守 - This almost certainly comes from the name of a real sword, Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki. “Mutsu” (ironically meaning “inner land”) was an outlying province of old Japan, and “kami” (in this case meaning “protector”) was at one time a title that roughly meant being a governor of a province (it was a particular rank of kokushi).
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 09:53:21 pm »
Thanks - that actually helps ) I guess I'll leave the sword names like they are - just transliterate. Atacka and Booer also sound funny )