News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New EarthBound Hack: The Rat Race  (Read 6609 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New EarthBound Hack: The Rat Race
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:54:21 pm »

Update By: The Author

I am pleased to announce the public release of The Rat Race, a subtle hack of EarthBound which restores a great many censored elements from the original Mother 2 while altering and switching some of the major characters to make it a different story from the original.

The best way to describe this game, in my opinion, is as a kind of applied fan fiction; while literary EarthBound fan fiction abounds and several game hacks as well, I've not seen these concepts combined until now. Where EarthBound is a rather satirical look at modern life in the West (especially in the USA), The Rat Race is a similar story told from the point of view of those being satirized.

In any event, anyone who's played EarthBound should find the settings and story of The Rat Race both familiar and strange much as the characters in the original Star Trek found their mirror universe to be in the "Mirror, Mirror" episode, albeit (I hope) not so much more evil. Enjoy!

(Now that I think of it, however, exploring an evil mirror universe of EarthBound might be a story worth pursuing. If anyone here has the interest and know-how to make that game, feel free.)

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/807/)

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
Re: ROM Hacks: New EarthBound Hack: The Rat Race
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:44 am »
Just tried out this hack... Why is Michael Moore following me?

Edit: I see a lot of copy-editing mistakes.  What's a "bread rolle", and why are many items now in lowercase letters?
There is awkward text when using PSI Lifeup A.  "Jenny invokes the Lifeup α!  Jenny maxes out the hit points!" sounds like something an outsourced call center employee would say.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:07:39 am by Dwedit »
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Flake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:01:25 pm »
Just tried out this hack... Why is Michael Moore following me?

Is that who "Mikey Obesephalus" is supposed to be? Well, I suppose Michael Moore does resemble Pokey (or Porky) from the original game in a lot of ways: he's disloyal, overpaid, fat, obnoxious, and parasitic.

Edit: I see a lot of copy-editing mistakes.  What's a "bread rolle", and why are many items now in lowercase letters?

That's odd. I see that a lot of items are in lowercase letters, but I'm not seeing that "rolle" typo in my copy. Which IPS patch and program did you use?

There is awkward text when using PSI Lifeup A.  "Jenny invokes the Lifeup α!  Jenny maxes out the hit points!" sounds like something an outsourced call center employee would say.

Well, the original game had some pretty strange ways of saying things too, such as putting everything the characters do in battle in the past tense. I guess the new phrasing is just the hacker's style. I'm noticing that there are a lot fewer pauses in the dialogue and that the "PSI" prefix has been hacked off of the name of every spell or "miracle" as the game puts it.

Did you notice what that fourth member of the party looks like? Those "Don't care" names in the menu were all anime girls' names too. I recognize Nagi from Boogiepop Phantom, Aya from Ayashi No Ceres, and Lain from Serial Experiments Lain, to name three. I think the Hare Krishna guy has been dumped for a hot chick.

Diesel Weasel

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 06:15:44 pm »
I would download this patch, but the link is broken.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:54:44 pm »
It's been removed from the database because the patch contained the full ROM.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

The Author

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:05:39 am »
It's been removed from the database because the patch contained the full ROM.

As I pointed out to Gemini and as I will emphatically repeat here, it contained no such thing; reconstructing a playable ROM, let alone the full ROM, from the files I submitted would have been quite impossible. Now I've submitted a revised package which should remove all reasonable doubt on the subject, and I want that page and its entry in the database reinstated.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 04:45:08 pm »
I happened to look at your original patch also when I decided to check it out. If I recall one of your larger ones converted a non headered ROM to a headered ROM and actually contained every unmodified byte of the data from the original ROM including the header. This means you created a patch using a ROM without a header for your unmodified ROM, and a ROM with a header for your modified ROM. Your modified and unmodified need to match in the header department for a proper patch to be created. With a mismatch, the following occurs:

a.) Your patch consisted of nearly all copyrighted data.
b.) It defeated the purpose of creating a patch. A patch by nature is supposed to contain only your modified data.
c.) It's inefficient as it is several magnitudes larger than it needed to be.

Gemini just brought it to your attention alerting you that this is undesirable and you should consider fixing. No response followed his last communication for several days when he last spoke about it.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations