News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Suikogaiden Vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia English Translation Released  (Read 11390 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pokeytax

After nearly five years, the English translation of Suikogaiden Vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia is completed.

Suikogaiden Vol. 1 (as well as its sequel Vol. 2) is a PSX visual novel spin-off of the Suikoden series, taking place at the same approximate time as Suikoden II and featuring many of that game's characters.  Suikoden completionists, or anyone interested in the Suikoden world and characters, will find it worth playing.

The translation was completed by an appropriately broad cast of characters, led by rin_uzuki, at the Suikogaiden Translation Project.  She got signficant assistance from Niahak and Raww Le Klueze on the translation side, and Rufas, David Holmes and Pokeytax on the coding side - but many others helped get this patch released.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://ramsus-kun.webs.com/Suikogaiden/Home.htm)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Oh I will HAVE to play this !!
Right now I'm in the middle of a Suikoden II playtrough I have trouble beating that Luca Blight's butt, but once I'll manage to do it I'll have to play this (and Suikoden 3-4).
So yeah my "To be played" list now officially contains 50 entries...

Not to mention I have about 2h of spare time per week for gaming, and that most games on my "to play" list takes 30-50 hours.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Amazing news, good job on everyone who was involved. :beer:

Might actually play this, but I'd have to replay Suikoden 1+2 first. It's been too long and this game isn't as good stand-alone I think.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Djungelurban

• View Profile
Thank you for this, this is amazing, I'll finally be able to experience this "lost" chapter of the Suikoden world for myself.

Niahak

• View Profile
    • Nia's page
Awesome news! Glad it finished the edit / beta test cycle. It was a bumpy road for a bit, but I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Definitely the project I am most glad to have been able to help out on.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
The project and game page has a (I'm assuming) bad aspect ratio title screen (I'm guessing it should be 320x240). :P Someone should fix that (I don't have the game or I would).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pokeytax

• View Profile
    • Cavespeak
Oops.  I just assumed that since the site accepted screenshots straight out of pSX, it knew what to do with them.  I'll fix those.  And thanks for the kind words!

Lilinda

• View Profile
Wow, I've been waiting for this for years. :) Thanks.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Wendell

• View Profile
    • Superman Summaries
This is not only great news, but a great translation as well!  I really enjoyed the story Sierra told.
Read my reviews of early Superman comics at
Superman Summaries!

fireball

• View Profile
Suikogaiden, F*** YEAH!  :thumbsup:

Shin`

• View Profile
Amazing, been waiting for this since you guys started years ago! Thanks!

shadow501

• Pro Hex Editor
    • View Profile
Great job but when release to download ?

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
http://www.romhacking.net/helpads/442/

Someone help out these folks, I think this release proofs the work wouldn't go to waste.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Raww Le Klueze

• View Profile
Yeah, we already have it working so at this point it's basically just the missing text that needs to be inserted. Obviously there's other stuff like bug testing and editing stuff but that should be a quick process.

So are we just going to leave Nash waiting like this?

Bregalad

• View Profile
I can't get this to run on real hardware (with disk swapping). As soon as I boot the swapped disc the reading len immediately moves far outside of the disc which is strange because normally it shouldn't do that.

Is there any advanced copy protection mechanism for that game ? I'd bet yes. - Unless the game tries to read a file past the end of Track#01 of the swap CD which seems unlikely since it has been designed for this purpose.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:37:27 pm by Bregalad »

Pokeytax

• View Profile
    • Cavespeak
Huh. I'd be surprised if there was anything too fancy, but I don't have a good explanation otherwise. I didn't even touch the ToC for this game IIRC, let alone anything fancier, so I can't guess what the problem would be.
While we tested it on hardware, I think that was mostly PSP.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Niahak demoed it on my modded PS1 at Pax East a few years back, so I can confirm that it works on hardware.

Bregalad

• View Profile
Pehaps it hangs if it detects it boots on a PAL console then ? Or maybe it's just a disc-reading problem ? I used a different burner than before so I'll have to try a game I know works and see if that's the problem. Then thanks anyways.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
It's more than likely a reading issue there. Disk swapping usually leads to a lot of nasty effects if the media isn't too good/poorly burned or your laser is having issues due to aging.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
I played through this on a chipped PS2, so can confirm it works there too.