News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Moon: Remix RPG Adventure PSX Translation  (Read 131970 times)

SolarBoyMatt

• View Profile
Re: Moon: Remix RPG Adventure PSX Translation
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 08:44:09 pm »
Good to know things have been going smoothly so far.

This is probably my most anticipated fan-translation ever, and can't wait for it to be finished! Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

esperknight

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 06:30:30 am »
Sounds good Carnival, we'll see :)  I can always use someone trying to break my stuff as I'm sure there'll be bugs somewhere.

And same here SolarBoyMatt :D  Been wanting to do this game for a long while now myself!

And a test of me playing around with the text routine regarding implementing a VWF :

Seems that they originally designed it to be able to implement a VWF but sadly they hard coded it to be fixed width (I set it to be a fixed width of 8 rather then 16).  That means less work for me though so hey :)

Swarm

• View Profile
    • swarm.jp
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 07:27:14 am »
It's exciting to see this pop out of nowhere with real progress. I'd be interested in helping out.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:59:36 am by Swarm »

SteveMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 03:22:48 pm »
Oooh, I didn't know the VWF had progress already :D

And I forgot to mention it in my PM, but I guess Yahoo screwed up because I don't think I got any recent emails :x I did get one some days ago, thought I responded though. I'm so tired these days I probably forgot to respond, typical me. Sorry  :banghead:
Currently working on Moon: Remix RPG Adventure translation

Hoodimin

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 01:53:28 pm »
I didn't know about this game until I saw your thread, and then I went and read a review of it. Holy crap, it sounds incredible. I registered this account just so I could thank you for starting work on it. So thank you!

esperknight

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 07:06:27 pm »
Hey hoodimin, glad we could interest you in this little gem :D

Hey SteverMartin, almost there with the VWF with Gemini's help.  Hopefully have it done soon and next up will be getting that intro extracted!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 08:00:03 pm »
I'm guessing it wouldn't work to use a different font for opening part of the game than the main game?
Since the opening is supposed to be a fake 16-bit game, perhaps fixed width would be more fitting?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

esperknight

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 08:15:24 pm »
Hrm... I may be able to keep it at a fixed width as it is now.  I was thinking the same thing, about leaving it fixed width to stay with the nature of it being a 16bit game.  And now that I'm thinking on it that wouldn't be hard to do at all.  I may consider reducing it down to a 8x16 though to get more text on the screen at once or do you think we should stay at 16x16 (as it is in the first post screenshot)?

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 12:17:49 pm »
I played through this game on my PSP, so I know it works.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 02:10:11 pm »
Hrm... I may be able to keep it at a fixed width as it is now.  I was thinking the same thing, about leaving it fixed width to stay with the nature of it being a 16bit game.  And now that I'm thinking on it that wouldn't be hard to do at all.  I may consider reducing it down to a 8x16 though to get more text on the screen at once or do you think we should stay at 16x16 (as it is in the first post screenshot)?
16x16 is never a good idea in English. Ever. It always looks ugly. Go for 8x16.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

GhaleonQ

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 09:28:36 pm »
Can I show my face here?  Hey, guys!  I'm GhaleonQ/theq66/SketchesOfMoondays.  I won't bore you with the details of my life.  While I don't have the time to do heavy-lifting on playthroughs, but I will edit and punch up the text with total, hysterical enthusiasm.

Guys, thank you so much for nailing this.  I sincerely appreciate it.  I'm sure Wyrdwad (now at XSeed!), Parrotshake, and the rest do, too.

Maybe as a digestif, you can take on all 10 LINES OF JAPANESE in U.F.O.: A Day In The Life and L.O.L.: Lack Of Love?  IF YOU DARE.

SteveMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 11:03:25 pm »
Esper mentioned U.F.O to me sometime after I got in contact with him, so I think he's interested?  :woot!: Plus looking at the disc, it looks like it's built over Moon(has the same MOON.DAT file and all on the disc), so it might be a case of using the same tools? I imagine we'll find out someday :P

Eien Ni Hen is actually proofreading the game right now, so I don't want to take that away from her hehe. But if you have time maybe you can do a second pass later? I remember your essay on the NeoGAF forums(and it's length  :P), and I remember you being one of few people to somehow find my non-public videos of the cut content from Moon on Youtube. Plus you know Tom(wyrdwad) too! All us Moon folks seem to be connected to him somehow, eh?  :laugh:

It's great seeing everyone's anticipation for this game, I definitely want to make sure the translation is top stuff and not too dry, like I fear my Brave Battle Saga translation may have come out as. Then again, the person who proofread that for me only just added em dashes everywhere and didn't fix anything  ::)

GhaleonQ

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 06:45:29 am »
http://vgboy.dabomstew.com/other/moon.htm Is that translated walkthrough yours or hers, though?  Because it's great (the use of sound cues was fun, too)!

Um, 1 question?  If it needs to be through e-mail, let me know.  I ALSO am not trying to twist arms since I haven't done more than publicize it and I'm ALSO not, "THE PURITY OF THE TEXT MUST NOT BE SACRIFICED," guy.  I just got through reading this http://www.amazon.com/That-Fish-Your-Ear-Translation/dp/0865478570 , in fact.  That said, the names were changed to accomodate American references and the English language.  Is it a hassle to create 2 separate patches, 1 "localized names" and 1 "literal names?"  I ask because Lovedelic games only get more Japanese from here and I don't think a quick jump to Wikipedia would disturb anyone's experience.  It would be useful for cross-cultural dialogue and search engines, too, if proper nouns were kept standardized.  I know the reaction to my type of suggestion is overwhelmingly negative in some circles, so just know that I'm not trying to be a douche.

Thank you so much for doing this, sincerely.

2 other brief bits:
Send me a private message on YouTube if I'm allowed into the e-mail loop.
Am I allowed to publicize this effort now on NeoGAF, GameFAQs, Twitter, and the like?  Is it premature?

Again, thanks, thanks, thanks!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:53:17 am by GhaleonQ »

esperknight

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 08:55:19 am »
Speaking for myself id have no problem with you publicizing or project.

For the rest I leave that to SteveMartin to answer :)

GhaleonQ

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 12:14:20 pm »
Sounds good, as always.

I may as well just post my ideal in case I can't jump on here again during the day.  You know Volokhonsky and Pevear?  She translates, he rewrites with a ear for tone and consistency across translations, she gets a final veto.  I would love to be Pevear.  Again, I'm not making demands so much as speeding up the communication process.  I hope it's not too forward.

SteveMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 03:49:47 pm »
The more publicity, the better! It isn't a secret project or anything  :laugh:

I have to say I've never seen that website you linked to before. I had no idea someone had translated it before, outside of Tom's translations in Parrotshake's guide years ago. Had I known I probably woulda been using their translations for reference heh. Especially for that ridiculously long and nonsensical intro text! I see they have English text in that screenshot at the bottom, I wonder if that means they hacked the game for translation already?

I'll message you on Youtube and discuss this more, if it's alright with you :)

esperknight

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 10:51:56 pm »
Finally finished the VWF!  The game may have one built in but all the values for various processing it does on the text beforehand is all hardcoded so took a bit to sort it all out.  But without further ado:

Still need to tweak the font a bit.  Need to fix the sizes for some letters and also fix the look of some too.

Next up is dumping the item descriptions as those were missed and dumping the intro text graphics!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 11:05:16 pm »
Do you have the bilinear filtering option on? The game looks way too smooth.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 10:19:52 am »
VWF looks good, however it appears the 'a' character is larger than the rest of the letters and looks out of place.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 10:29:14 am »
Looks nice.

Know the subject of cosmetics was already touched upon, but I feel an urge to pick on the top of the Y and how it touches the border of the text frame. Guess the text printing could be moved a tinzy winzy bit to the right - to give some breathing space between text and border or something.