News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda 1 Music Test  (Read 4590 times)

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Zelda 1 Music Test
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:32:18 pm »
Okay, so I decided to fiddle a little into NES music formats, which are rarely addressed, for many good reasons. I decoded most of the code in Zelda 1 to be able to create, by hand, an approximate conversion of the Fairy Fountain theme from Zelda ALttP. I used this sheet as a reference...

Here is the IPS file of the modified Intro Theme. The ending is a little abrupt, I just didn't know how to fill in the remaining measures before the theme loops over...

In the Zelda 1 ROM, Bank 0 seems to be dedicated to music and nothing else. Even the sounds and some incidental music (like the "secret found" chime) are not there, apparently. More than half of the bank is unused, so there's no problem with expansion, either for music or anything else. Here are my notes on Bank 0, for anyone interested...

Comments and questions are welcome, as usual...

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
Re: Zelda 1 Music Test
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:40 pm »
* snarfblam bookmarks the page

This could definitely be handy in an extensive hack or improvement hack.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:05:17 pm »
I'd be more interested in the kind of hacking where you pop out the music engine completely, and replace it with a new engine.  So you can then make your songs in FamiTracker with no restrictions.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »
I'm interested in this.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:33:08 pm »
I took a look at FamiTracker, and it's quite a piece of software. Actually, I didn't know the NES engine had that much variations possibilities with sound, although the Famicom may have more potential than the NES. I know very little about the sound engine. The hacking I've done is only about how song pieces are stitched together, the codes that correspond to the notes pitch, and the hard-coded looping mechanisms...

Assuming we can pinpoint the routine call that processes sound, integrating an export from FamiTracker into a ROM is certainly possible...

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:39:00 pm »
Normally, when you replace a music engine, you need to care about RAM usage of the old engine vs RAM usage of the new engine.  But this is Zelda 1, and it has plenty of available RAM to use for any purpose.

But I wouldn't use Famitracker's sound engine, since it doesn't support sound effects.  (Unless something happened that I'm not aware of)
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Hamtaro126

• R.I.P. 2006-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:42:28 pm »
Normally, when you replace a music engine, you need to care about RAM usage of the old engine vs RAM usage of the new engine.  But this is Zelda 1, and it has plenty of available RAM to use for any purpose.

But I wouldn't use Famitracker's sound engine, since it doesn't support sound effects.  (Unless something happened that I'm not aware of)

What about Shiru's FamiTone? I heard it uses Sound Effects!

Sounds have to be in a seperated, multitrack FTM, though.
(Ban is Repealed because of refusal to accept action. Making this major problem worse, So if no-one tempbans me, I WILL NOT COME BACK PERMANENTLY)

Erase this when you are ready to act like a MAN!!!

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 05:08:31 pm »
You could replace the sound engine, but it looks like you've done such a great job documenting this one. That is one thorough document of a sound engine, good work on that. Cool that you did that from sheet. Download Noteworthy Composer for this purpose, if you haven't already.

Hamtaro126

• R.I.P. 2006-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 05:19:09 am »
You could replace the sound engine, but it looks like you've done such a great job documenting this one. That is one thorough document of a sound engine, good work on that. Cool that you did that from sheet. Download Noteworthy Composer for this purpose, if you haven't already.

BTW: Noteworthy is not free, I got many other tools such as FL Studio and the 3ML(MML tool)!
(Ban is Repealed because of refusal to accept action. Making this major problem worse, So if no-one tempbans me, I WILL NOT COME BACK PERMANENTLY)

Erase this when you are ready to act like a MAN!!!

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 05:28:10 am »
If you want a free alternative: http://musescore.org/en
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.