News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Comparing game localizations  (Read 100555 times)

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
Re: Comparing game localizations
« Reply #280 on: April 25, 2016, 10:31:23 pm »
Can you guys think of any games from the 80s/90s that use the word "crap" (or anything of that level or stronger) in them, besides EarthBound? I'm reminded of this but it's all I can think of

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2016, 01:54:14 am »
Mega Man 7 comes to mind:

(couldn't easily find a better screenshot than this weirdly dark one on GameFAQs)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2016, 03:52:07 am »
Breath of Fire II. The Gold Fly says "Ugh.. damn" when it dies, and Sten calls the war he was in "hell". Are we counting PSone games, or are we stopping in mid-1990's? Because I know a lot of PSone games that would qualify, hahaha.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2016, 04:01:46 am »
Are we counting PSone games, or are we stopping in mid-1990's? Because I know a lot of PSone games that would qualify, hahaha.

If so, I can remember Duke Nukem saying "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble-gum... and I'm aaaaaall out of gum". :)
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 26, 2016, 09:05:37 am »
I think we can probably exclude games like Duke that were given an M rating, though.

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 26, 2016, 11:43:01 am »
Yep, just anything from the 80s to around 2000 is okay, doesn't matter which system. Although if a game's already rated mature then seeing a "bad" word isn't as interesting  :angel:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 26, 2016, 02:07:20 pm »
Since I had mentioned LoD last (1999 so it counts), the prison is nammed Hellena.  Before the first visit there the commander (first boss, but is your normal beginning battle pushover) says you're going "not to hellena, to hell."  There's more than that and I know it including some damns.  Nothing worse than that however.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:17:56 pm by Chronosplit »

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 27, 2016, 09:41:53 pm »
Can you guys think of any games from the 80s/90s that use the word "crap" (or anything of that level or stronger) in them, besides EarthBound?
The localization of Hitler's Revival: Top Secret managed to get a "damn" past the censors. Hitler or "Master-D" as he was known as in Bionic Commando says "You damn fool." right before the infamous exploding head scene. That the actual death sequence got past the censors is of course more surprising.

You also got the cheesy DK Rap - intro to Donkey Kong 64, where they introduce Chunky Kong with "But this kong's one hell of a guy!" Pretty innocent stuff, but knowing Nintendo's MO...

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 30, 2016, 03:14:51 pm »
Terranigma has "Dam!", and of course this classic "I don't know who you are, but thank you for arousing me."

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2016, 10:30:33 pm »
It's not a game but I'm remembering "hell" on Rugrats once (the original 1991-1993 series). I want to say it was a line "It's raining like hell out there." But it's been a long time since I watched the show.

Pretty sure Lufia: The Legend Returns (2001, GBC) had "damn" near the beginning when Gades first appears (I think it was like Gades introuduces himself as Gades, Sinistral of Destruction and the hero replies "Damn... have you destroyed your own mind?"). But that is my memory from playing a short bit of the game in 2002. And that game got E.

But Dragon Warrior III for GBC (also released in 2001) was rated T, possibly for various "hell" enemies, like Hellhound.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 01, 2016, 01:00:12 pm »
At the end of Mega Man X3, X says damn.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 02, 2016, 01:43:55 am »
Also, the Metal Gear secret password that could possibly be the reason NoA banned vowels from passwords.
(I recall the password was "FUCK YOU (... some personal message from one dev to another)" but even just the first word was enough to get SOMETHING.
(Metroid has a valid password ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER F***** but I'm almost positive that is just a coincidental valid "random" password. One whose binary representation happens to match the checksum test. It does nothing useful, as after the game verifies it, it jumps to invalid code (from tracing in an emulator, it seemed to cause the MMC1 PRG setup register to get set incorrectly, breaking PRG bankswaps.) On a real console, it crashes on a black screen. On an emulator you might get different results depending on how it handles invalid opcodes. Like I think FCEUX puts Samus in a glitched version of the Brinstar starting room, but scrolling doesn't work. Nintendo's emulator for GBA seems to handle invalid opcodes by auto-resetting.)
Even the JUSTIN BAILEY password seems to be incidental. I think the only intentionally programmed Metroid secret passwords are the NARPAS SWORD debug passwords.

Many, many Japanese-developed games thus needed their password systems changed in some ways for western release.
Just a couple examples:
Adventures of Lolo 3 (Lolo 2 Japan) for NES replaced the vowels with symbols.
Mickey Mouse IV for the Game Boy, shifted vowels out of the password character set, shifting numbers into the end so the same total number of characters was the same in the localizations (The Real Ghostbusters in NA and Garfield Labyrinth in EU, both western versions use the same censored password set). (that game has a lot of other localizations but you could probably write a LoL book on Kemco alone... though there's probably not enough of a demand to actually do that. ;) )

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 02, 2016, 10:20:53 am »
(Metroid has a valid password ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER F***** but I'm almost positive that is just a coincidental valid "random" password. One whose binary representation happens to match the checksum test. It does nothing useful, as after the game verifies it, it jumps to invalid code (from tracing in an emulator, it seemed to cause the MMC1 PRG setup register to get set incorrectly, breaking PRG bankswaps.) On a real console, it crashes on a black screen. On an emulator you might get different results depending on how it handles invalid opcodes. Like I think FCEUX puts Samus in a glitched version of the Brinstar starting room, but scrolling doesn't work. Nintendo's emulator for GBA seems to handle invalid opcodes by auto-resetting.)
Tried that out in Nintendulator and got the non scrolling Brinstar version, also tried in Nestopia but it just gave me a CPU jam.

Also I never ever got the Justin Bailey code to work on my European version of Metroid back in the day, the same goes with passwords for Castlevania 2 and Kid Icarus.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 02, 2016, 01:04:59 pm »
Game Boy localization strangeness:

so from what I've read, Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 was first released in Japan with a Japanese title screen but later prints (in Japan) used the international ROM (with English title screen).

Taz-Mania (Sunsoft): From the No-Intro database, it seems the game was released in Europe with a box/cart title something like Looney Tunes 2: Tazmanian Devil in Christmas Island Capers, but the game used the same ROM as the US version ("Taz-Mania", with consistent naming between the game and packaging :) ), including the title screen. Year later, THQ released a sequel titled Taz-Mania II. Though the game was a modification of another crappy license game ("We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story" in the US, We're Back released under multiple license variants in EU/AU). But THQ just titled Taz 2 "Taz-Mania" in Europe.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 02, 2016, 03:55:36 pm »
Many, many Japanese-developed games thus needed their password systems changed in some ways for western release.
Just a couple examples:
Adventures of Lolo 3 (Lolo 2 Japan) for NES replaced the vowels with symbols.
Mickey Mouse IV for the Game Boy, shifted vowels out of the password character set, shifting numbers into the end so the same total number of characters was the same in the localizations (The Real Ghostbusters in NA and Garfield Labyrinth in EU, both western versions use the same censored password set).

It was indeed Metal Gear's "FUCKME 11111..." that warped the player to the final boss with almost no weapons behind that policy (one can see how people thought it was intentional).

That policy persisted, even later.
Ganbare Goemon is in all caps precisely for this reason. A lower-case character set exists in the US ROM, but it has all of its vowels removed, and then after it are some symbols.
Same thing happened for Little Samson on the NES (hence why the password data is spelling legible words in JP version but gibberish in US one), but it got away with it thanks to not having much text anyways.
Maui Mallard's SNES port/remake is missing vowels that were present in the Megadrive version, but it's still possible to force the RAM with cheats to use them - and in fact the devs hid some debug passwords (all using vowels) this way.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 02, 2016, 04:40:18 pm »
In Pokemon Red/Green (Japanese versions), your path is blocked by an old man who is passed-out drunk. In Red/Blue (American versions), he just hasn't had his coffee yet.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Old_man_%28Kanto%29
Here's what I understand about this:

-Outside of Japan he yells at you about how this is private property and you're not supposed to cross.  In the original text it's unintelligible drunken garble.  At least from what I can gather.

-Opinions are divided on what happens next: some uncensoring efforts just replace the coffee with alcohol.  The original text seems to talk about waiting for the passed out drunk guy to wake up or something, and occasionally it's been said that he needs the coffee to sober up with (which would be a compromise I guess).

-After you've given Oak his package, he mentions a headache before asking you about your Pokedex.  Outside of Japan he's had his coffee and he feels great!

-In G/S/C/HG/SS you meet him again, in the Japaneese text the old man gives a drunken hic before talking.  Outside of Japan he's wired from a double shot of espresso.

EDIT: It actually isn't a bunch of drunken garble.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:00:37 am by Chronosplit »

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 24, 2016, 01:56:45 am »
It's been a long road, but the EarthBound Legends of Localization book is finally out!

And here are some related videos:
Thanks again to everyone who offered tips and suggestions along the way. I'm super-happy with how the book turned out, and I hope you'll give it a look sometime!

(btw, Fangamer is doing free US shipping and 50% off international IPA shipping this week, which is a HUGE deal given how heavy the book is)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 09, 2016, 06:32:22 pm »
Here's an oddity I ran into while making up Chrono Trigger's bugfix addendum: In SNES it's named Hurricane, in DS it's named Headman's Scythe, but in reality... Magus has an icepick weapon?

I don't quite understand why even the DS localization didn't reference that at all, but even I kept it as-is in the hack because I didn't have many good ideas that fit into the menu space (only thing I had was Blizzard to reference the original).  I wonder if this had some sort of joke attached to it originally?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:38:58 pm by Chronosplit »

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 10, 2016, 06:21:43 am »
It's not QUITE an ice pick. That's inaccurate. It's actually a "haken" (the German name), which is a mountain climbing tool otherwise referred to by its French name, a piton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piton

So that would probably be a more accurate translation, though few people have any clue what it is...

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 10, 2016, 08:29:19 am »
It's not QUITE an ice pick. That's inaccurate. It's actually a "haken" (the German name), which is a mountain climbing tool otherwise referred to by its French name, a piton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piton

So that would probably be a more accurate translation, though few people have any clue what it is...
Ah, I see!  Some of these are shaped in a way that would make sense.  Wait a minute, they all start with H... theorizing here, but maybe everyone knew after all but thought both words were too obscure to use with the target audience?  It's been known to happen. :o