News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Comparing game localizations  (Read 100254 times)

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
Re: Comparing game localizations
« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2013, 07:12:32 pm »
Definitely, I realize EarthBound's case is just one of a different implementation, but I didn't want to get into the messy details in this article.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2013, 07:44:48 pm »
Do you think someday you can do the lunar games? That its a huge undertaking because lunar has more different ports than any final fantasy game but its one of my childhood favorites.

Ys. I'm not suggesting it, but all of the first 3 games have so many damn ports...

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2013, 09:14:48 pm »
Yeah, I'd like to do the Lunar games sometime. I really gotta find a better way to handle things so I can work on more stuff more often though, as it is now I'll be on FFIV for a long time to come  :-[

Anyway, the other day I posted an article about control codes in translations. I thought some hackers here might appreciate it: http://legendsoflocalization.com/an-inside-look-at-video-game-control-codes/

I'm also curious to know what other control code goofs exist out there in official releases! KingMike sent me one from Secret of the Stars that was pretty cool that I might do another update about sometime too.
I don't know how feasible it would be to do it, but see if you can set up posts in queue like I do for my Japanese through JRPGs blog. That way you can do a ton of FFIV posts over a few days, but do enough work to keep the site going for a few months. You'll have time to work on other stuff and won't get burned out as much.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2013, 03:30:59 am »
Yeah, I used to do that with EarthBound Central, unfortunately the game comparison stuff doesn't really function as a blog :(

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2013, 05:04:32 pm »
Megaman X4's opening song was changed when it came to America. I don't know if people already talked about this but...here it is. Just compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV7DG4ZjhZ8
US Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VNMlXqR79g
Original Version

This game also had a terrible English voice acting. And this was the first PSX game I tried to hack, but I gave up. Restoring the playable characters' voices (without messing up the game's text) was harder than I thought.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2013, 02:51:40 am »
Many orbits around the sun ago I started comparing Mother 2 and EarthBound and seeing how the game was localized. I actually FINALLY finished that a little while ago here: http://earthboundcentral.com/m2eb/ There's a ton of stuff, so it'll require like a full afternoon of time to read through  ;)

Anyway, since I'm a crazy guy I immediately started wanting to do the same with other games, so I just went through the original Super Mario Bros. in the same way and posted it here: http://matotree.com/localization/smb/

I didn't think there'd be much to write about first, but it actually turned out pretty interesting.

Right now I'm working on one for the first Zelda game, one quick question I have is this - does anyone know the differences between the 1.0 FDS version of Zelda and the 1.1 version? I've been playing the 1.0 version, but I haven't taken a look at the 1.1 yet.

Also, any suggestions for other games that might've had interesting localizations? Right now I want to avoid super-long games like EarthBound, so I'm mostly sticking with NES and early Super NES games. But two later games I definitely want to take a look at later on are Gitaroo Man and Symphony of the Night  :)

Godslayer[J]/Crystalis[US] from SNK. I'd be very interested to know what differences there were.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2013, 04:01:12 pm »
Several years ago with the help of a friend, we dumped most of the text from Godslayer and Crystalis and had a translator compare the two. We found that the translation was surprisingly good despite a few minor limitations. I don't recall much if any text relating to the name of the sword being present.

Nice guy that I am for the curious or interested.

http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/Stuff/Crystalis.zip

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2013, 02:25:53 pm »
Awesome to see Tomato's updated his FF4 comparison after a long break. :woot!:

Even if there's one line that probably didn't leave him enough time to think about it. :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2013, 05:40:34 pm »
Oops, did I not cover something? I go into such detail now that I actually worry that I'll miss the big stuff that should be staring me in the face  :P

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2013, 06:46:00 pm »
For some reason, I seem to have noticed a few things named “[something]bringer” in games of this era; perhaps the Stormbringer mythos held some cachet amongst Japanese game creators of the late 80s / early 90s. I strongly suspect that “Deathbringer” is an oblique reference to it.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2013, 10:51:27 pm »
Oops, did I not cover something? I go into such detail now that I actually worry that I'll miss the big stuff that should be staring me in the face  :P
Nah, just felt that "Think about it." line that stumped even the amazing Tomato needed a joke made about it. :)

The only rational I can think of is... so, that's what the guardwoman says when you admit you don't have permission? Maybe like well, you should go think about asking. Even though that seems pretty out of place for the game.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 12, 2013, 12:16:42 am »
Lots of goodies in the latest update on FFIV. Actually never noticed that they had brightened up the graphics for the Magnetic Cave on the EasyType and English versions! Awesome work as usual, Mato!

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 12, 2013, 01:45:49 am »
Lots of goodies in the latest update on FFIV. Actually never noticed that they had brightened up the graphics for the Magnetic Cave on the EasyType and English versions! Awesome work as usual, Mato!
Thanks for the update! I love Mato's progress  :beer:

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 12, 2013, 09:22:22 am »
Haha, I was actually just about to post about it here but then couldn't find the topic way at the bottom of the page. Beat me to it  :P

The latest FFIV update (the magnet cave) is here: http://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv/cave-magnes/

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 12, 2013, 02:54:34 pm »
I see you didn't mention this on the page, but I can't remember if you did somewhere else.
From the SNES manual, page 55.

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2013, 05:37:07 pm »
Ooh, thanks! I totally forgot I was starting to include that pre-release stuff! I'll add that in a bit~

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 13, 2013, 09:17:51 pm »
The page about where Rockman lives is broken. :(

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2013, 01:28:02 pm »
Actually, that's because it wasn't ready yet, sometimes when I'm working on an article it shows up on the front page. But I fixed that last night, so hopefully there shouldn't be any more sadfaces!

http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-does-japanese-mega-man-live-in-monsteropolis/

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Legends of Localization - Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2014, 05:24:10 pm »
Read through this a couple of days ago, and it was utterly fascinating.

A couple of caveats: 1) This is quite exhaustive, examining nearly every bit of NPC dialogue in the game, down to the signs you find on walls. 2) This is really kind of a smoking gun for both J2e's "retranslation" of FFIV and TOSE in general. Both are shown to be ridiculously inaccurate (Some, but not all, of the 8 Clerics in the PSX version having southern accents stands out as, in my opinion, the worst localization choice I have ever seen).

Check it out here: http://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Celice

• View Profile
Re: Legends of Localization - Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #219 on: November 18, 2014, 11:26:18 pm »
Tomato is a really cool dude. He livestreams often with his wife on twitch, live-translating stuff for fun.

http://www.twitch.tv/clydemandelin

Love his site and his work.