News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Comparing game localizations  (Read 76997 times)

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
Re: Comparing game localizations
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2012, 08:48:43 pm »
I've updated with a look at Mist this time: http://matotree.com/localization/final-fantasy-iv/mist/

Cool, I had never heard of the Mistwalker glitch before! I thought I knew everything about this game, too!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 10:21:00 pm »
Cool, I had never heard of the Mistwalker glitch before! I thought I knew everything about this game, too!
I've never heard of it either.

I wonder what happens if you continue playing with Kain in your party when the party would normally get full (after you revive Rosa). Would the game just glitch out, or would it get rid of Kain/Rosa? XD

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2012, 10:29:24 pm »
I don't remember but I seem to recall that Tellah won't appear until you've done the event in Mist, so it glitches up at some point around meeting Tellah. I do know that you can use the trick to at least get into Mist's shops and buy some super strong equipment for so early in the game.

August 20, 2012, 05:45:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Speaking of glitches, I ran across this one that a Japanese fan figured out just last month. It's seriously jaw-dropping:

http://youtu.be/aiOfZCWWB2I

I didn't have the time or energy to subtitle the video but I did make a super-duper-quick translation of the text here:

http://matotree.com/2012/08/final-fantasy-iv-the-legendary-64-room-levels-bug/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:45:41 pm by Tomato »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2012, 08:34:25 pm »
I do recall hearing it was kind of an accomplishment when J2E got the battle message window to print 2 lines without glitching up.
The Eblan battle cutscene was pretty dramatic but it was also pretty annoying to have to read it one one-line text box at a time. :P
Spoiler:
I can't be the only one to continue to beat up Edge's dying mutated parents due to boredom of waiting for the text to finishing scrolling by, can I? :D
So... I guess we should appreciate that the battle dialogue was concise?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2012, 09:40:44 am »
Speaking of glitches, I ran across this one that a Japanese fan figured out just last month. It's seriously jaw-dropping:

http://youtu.be/aiOfZCWWB2I

I didn't have the time or energy to subtitle the video but I did make a super-duper-quick translation of the text here:

http://matotree.com/2012/08/final-fantasy-iv-the-legendary-64-room-levels-bug/

Both the video and your translation are cool! I remember hearing about this glitch in 1992!

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »
I had the glitch happen to me back in the day and I wound up having to start completely over. Whenever I'd go through a door it'd glitch out and take me to the top left corner of Baron and I couldn't get out. I remember recording it on a VHS tape too, it was that traumatic and weird.

Anyway, last night I decided to try to plan out all the pages I'm gonna have to make. It's been a few years since I last played a version of FFIV to the end so let me know if I got some of the ordering wrong or if I should do things in a different order. I always get confused by the order of events after leaving the underworld for the first time.

• Baron
  • Mist
  • Kaipo
  • Waterway
  • Damcyan
  • Antlion
  • Kaipo 2
  • Mt. Hobbs
  • Fabul
  • Mysidia
  • Mt. Ordeal
  • Mysidia 2
  • Baron 2
  • Baron Castle
  • (game opens up...)
  • Mist 2
  • Silvera? is that the pig town's name?
  • Town south of Baron... Agart?
  • Fabul 2
  • Toroia
  • Magnet Cave
  • Tower of Zot
  • (game opens up again...)
  • Agart 2?
  • Dwarf Castle
  • Tower of Babil
  • Dwarf Castle 2
  • Baron 3
  • Eblana Castle
  • Eblana cave
  • Tower of Babil 2
  • Dwarf Castle 3
  • Summoned Monster Cave
  • Extra underworld towns/places
  • Sealed Cave
  • Mysidia 3
  • Moon 1
  • Bahamut Cave
  • Babil Robot
  • Moon 2
  • Final Battle
  • Ending
  • Enemies
  • Items
  • Places
  • Spells / Techniques
  • Characters / stats
  • Tricks / Bugs
  • Misc. (advertising? instructions?)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2012, 12:54:19 pm »
Just to mention it, Tomato's up to the Watery Pass now.

~DS

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2012, 01:19:32 pm »
Yep, the bard's next! Gotta think of a good way to present it  8)

August 27, 2012, 08:46:39 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I don't know if this is already known or not, but yesterday I stumbled upon an interview that suggests the canceled Final Fantasy IV for the Famicom was actually 80% or so done and not just at the initial concept stage: http://matotree.com/2012/08/final-fantasy-iv-for-the-famicom-was-80-complete/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:46:39 am by Tomato »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2012, 12:57:57 pm »
Tomato's up to Damcyan now.

Also, Tomato:

- Gilbert was changed to Edward because of space limitations. Same reason Golbeza was renamed Golbez. PC names are limited to six characters in the coding of the game.
- Also, you keep mentioning the English names in Japanese manuals. Like Gilbart. There's others that are weird too. Kain is Cain in some Japanese text. Rydia is Lydia. And Theodore from the sequel was spelled Ceodore in the manuals and whatnot, so SE kept it that way. >_>

~DS

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2012, 02:00:20 pm »
Yep, the bard's next! Gotta think of a good way to present it  8)

August 27, 2012, 08:46:39 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I don't know if this is already known or not, but yesterday I stumbled upon an interview that suggests the canceled Final Fantasy IV for the Famicom was actually 80% or so done and not just at the initial concept stage: http://matotree.com/2012/08/final-fantasy-iv-for-the-famicom-was-80-complete/

My guess is that the second interview is a fake. Why would Sakaguchi lie in his former interview ? Japanese people don't lie that easily.

EDIT : Tom, your work is amazing ! You probably spent hours comparing the versions, and apparently you plan to do it until the end of the game ! That's sure a lot of work !

Oh and you forgot to go see Tellah before talking to Rosa in Kaipo, where he says you can't pass, but this is probably not important.

PS : Thank you for explaining the YES / NO issue. I now understand why some games (BOF2...) got it wrong at some places, where you would think it would be hard to mess this up.

One last difference I don't think you mentionned : You said the boxes for locations were made larger for the US version, but in fact the regular textboxes were also made slightly larger. If you look at the Japanese versions, there is a full tile of the background on the right and on the left. In the US vesion, there is only a half-tile on each side. By the way on J2e's version, there is nothing left at all - the text box takes up all the width of the screen. This makes the left and right borders invisible when I run it on an actual SNES with my PowerPak - which is ugly and is probably the reason they left a half-tile on each border in the official translation.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:13:23 pm by Bregalad »

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2012, 04:24:24 pm »
Also, Tomato:

- Gilbert was changed to Edward because of space limitations. Same reason Golbeza was renamed Golbez. PC names are limited to six characters in the coding of the game.
- Also, you keep mentioning the English names in Japanese manuals. Like Gilbart. There's others that are weird too. Kain is Cain in some Japanese text. Rydia is Lydia. And Theodore from the sequel was spelled Ceodore in the manuals and whatnot, so SE kept it that way. >_>

Yeah, I pondered about the space limit thing, that's the only explanation I can come up with. I hadn't considered that was why Golbez had his name changed.

I'm not sure what you mean about the manual thing - I pointed out "Gilbart" and how it showed up much later than the original manual. I actually did go back and mention how "Cain" is in the manual too. Are you referring to how their names wound up in the After Years and such? I haven't seen Lydia anywhere, can you point me to it? I've often wondered about that too.

August 27, 2012, 04:30:16 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh and you forgot to go see Tellah before talking to Rosa in Kaipo, where he says you can't pass, but this is probably not important.

I can't remember if I tried this or not, but I'll give it a look anyway. I've been archiving all the save files and screenshots for people to use/reference in the future for their own stuff.

One last difference I don't think you mentionned : You said the boxes for locations were made larger for the US version, but in fact the regular textboxes were also made slightly larger.

Ha, you're right! I r blind  :-[ I'll add a mention about that somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:30:16 pm by Tomato »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2012, 05:51:56 pm »
I honestly don't remember where the Lydia thing was from. Gemini posted a link to it when we were having an argument about how Kain/Rydia was supposed to be spelled.

~DS

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2012, 04:51:31 pm »
Would anyone here know where I can get a text dump of FF2 SNES? Every once in a while I miss a line but don't want to have to redo 30+ minutes of playing just to see it and find out it's not important.

mz

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2012, 05:11:15 pm »

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »
Thanks, that'll definitely be useful.

I was hoping for a full text dump, since a lot of the lines I'm looking for aren't key story scene lines - for instance right now I'm stuck because I forgot to talk to the guards in front of the king's room after the king has agreed to lend the party a ship.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2012, 09:06:21 pm »
Tomato:

On the first section of the Antlion Cave thing, you've got three pictures of Cecil getting a chest with a harp in it. You mention the contents of some treasure chests in the area, but not that one. And it's interesting because in FFIV it's "Lamia Harp", in ET it's "Strange Harp" and in FF2US it's "Charm Harp".

~DS

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2012, 10:55:13 pm »
Yeah, in the secret hover text I mention that I was going to talk about the harp names but then decided to save that discussion for a separate page  :P

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2012, 11:37:15 pm »
Yeah, in the secret hover text I mention that I was going to talk about the harp names but then decided to save that discussion for a separate page  :P
I hate you. I didn't know there was hovertext. T_T;

~DS

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2012, 12:31:37 am »
I hate you. I didn't know there was hovertext. T_T;

Then you'll also hate that Tomato went back and made some minor edits to one of the recent pages. It was luck that I happened to notice it.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2012, 05:07:31 am »
@Tom : You should go to good old zohar.net and go to savestates -> SNES SRM -> Final Fantasy 4J, (direct link if it works) and download the 5th save (the 2nd last one), and use slot 2, it's on Fabul after the war but before taking the ship.