News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Comparing game localizations  (Read 71209 times)

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
Re: Comparing game localizations
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 08:58:05 am »
I read you wanted a higher quality Legend of Zelda NES boss cry.

Ooh, thanks! I just put it up, it sounds so much better than the one I had  :thumbsup:

KingMike: I almost e-mailed you the other day to see if you'd be up for throwing an English translation onto the FDS version of Zelda. Seems kinda pointless, but if you ever get the itch to do it let me know!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 12:19:52 pm »
I had thought maybe Retry could mean to "try again with a different game." But then again, the Japanese text next to the SAVE command is "End", so I'm not sure what they're thinking.
From what I understand of the "hold Reset" issue, it is because the mapper isn't designed to handle a sudden power on/off state, which could cause unwanted writes to the save RAM, corrupting the save files.
I think some of the later mappers might write-protection.
According to this site, "Revision A" US carts use the MMC1B variant, which according to NESDev, is supposed to allow the RAM to be disabled. (and the Famicom version uses the MMC1B variant)
Then again, Zelda probably doesn't disable the SRAM because it uses it to store parts of the game program (likely because of the memory map. While the FDS had PRG-RAM from $6000-DFFF, carts PRG-ROM uses addresses $8000-FFFF. So, by storing code in the SRAM, they can have code in the $6000-7FFF region and not have to change everything in the code that references those addresses.

Everything in Zelda is probably in katakana because in VRAM there is only space for the katakana and English characters. The katakana tiles were simply blanked out in the English version. I had once made a hack to use those unused tiles for a VWF but I don't think I finished it and I can't remember how far I got.

Retranslating Zelda? That's an idea I'll have to think about.

Do you know of the FDS Zelda prototype that is spreading around? Though I guess much of that has already been documented, and I'm not sure if it would fit within the goal of your article.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 01:07:00 pm »
Yeah, I heard about the prototype a while back but never really looked at it much. It might be an interesting thing to mention on the misc. page but I'm honestly all Zeldaed out right now  :P

EDIT: Here's what I'm working on next, incidentally.

It's already been analyzed and ported to death, but it's such a dear game to me that I gotta do it. Plus I first played it this time 20 years ago...

Holy crap 20 years  :o
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:13:02 pm by Tomato »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 01:53:47 pm »
Makes me feel old, too.

what am i doing with my life
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 02:44:52 pm »
There were also two revisions of each of the Japanese and US versions.
The differences between them are probably mentioned in lots of places. But from what I heard the only difference between JP 1.0 (extremely rare) and JP 1.1 (extremely common) is that it fixed one obscure bug that could cause moon enemies to appear underground.

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 02:48:08 pm »
Whoa that sounds cool, I'll try to get that to happen in my run  8)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 06:51:13 pm »
Yeah, I heard about the prototype a while back but never really looked at it much. It might be an interesting thing to mention on the misc. page but I'm honestly all Zeldaed out right now  :P

It's already been analyzed and ported to death, but it's such a dear game to me that I gotta do it. Plus I first played it this time 20 years ago...

If you need any help on this, I'd consider myself pretty well versed in the subject (having played through multiple versions of the game, including one in Japanese, not to mention my working on a long-term project for the game). I'd be more than willing to lend a hand, especially considering it's my favorite Final Fantasy.

Also, one of the translations you did was kinda strange:

Gibdo
A mummy man. Has supernatural strength and powerful offensive strength.

The Japanese says "Due to having considerable supernatural strength, it's attack power is quite high", or something to that effect. (なかなかの怪力・・・)

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 07:46:27 pm »
Isn't the Japanese text for "Retry" やりなおす? I think "Start Over (From the Beginning)" might be what they were going for there.

Also, Tomato, if you're doing FFIV next, please make note of the fact that the DS version is the only translation to get the first line of the Mysidian prophecy right. :3 FF2 and FFIVA (and thus FFIVCC) use "One (to be) born from a dragon" when the original says "竜の口より生まれし者"; FFIVDS uses "Birthed from womb of dragon's maw."
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Zetshiro

• Rainbow!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »

I really can't wait to read this, I loved your other game comparisons (especially Earthbound). :)

Because there's so many variations of Final Fantasy IV I imagine this is going to be quite the massive project. There's a Final Fantasy IV article on tcrf.net which covers some interesting things.

IV is definitely my favourite of the series, it was also the first true Final Fantasy I finished! Though...this was a little over a year ago... :laugh:

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 09:55:01 pm »
Whoa that sounds cool, I'll try to get that to happen in my run  8)

Would be cool, but I recall it's not something you'd be likely to accidentally do.
Something about going to one of the underground caves and then to Mt. Hobs (which you don't really need to do anymore once you passed it), if I recall right.

However, there was one kind of funny game-crashing bug in FF6 that didn't get fixed in the GBA version (S-E got most of the well-known bugs).
Spoiler:
Essentially, once you can make your own party for the first time, take Gau on a party alone, hire Shadow in Kohlingen, then use the Leap command on the Veldt to dump Gau, then try to take Shadow (alone) inside Narshe. He'll leave, leaving you with a party of nobody.
Who'd think to try that on their own? :D

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 04:30:27 am »
Interesting read. Sometimes I really wonder why they change text like in a way like that (e.g. the hints).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:35:28 am by LostTemplar »

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 05:14:08 am »
what am i doing with my life
Exactly what you should be doing, I suspect.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 06:28:53 am »
From what I heard, the bug fixed in FFII US' version 1.1 was the fact that in version 1.0, if a battle drags on too long, casting spells will apparently freeze the game. I may be wrong, though.

The specific example I heard is using Rydia to cast Stop and Edge to steal Artemis Arrows from Karys (AKA MoonGuards, Selene Guardians, or Moonmaidens.) for Rosa, and then at some point, after you command Rydia to cast Stop and the casting duration is over, the summoner walks forward, raises her arms, and the game hangs. The music purportedly still plays, but the animation for Stop never comes.

Final Fantasy IV: The Spell that Never Came!!!

:laugh:

As far as I know, this bug was fixed in all ports and remakes.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 06:49:01 am »
The music purportedly still plays,
The sound is handled by a different CPU so even if the main CPU completely crashes the sound will still be intact, as opposed to, say, the NES where if a game crashes the sound stops on the note it was playing.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 08:40:55 am »
Wasn't "tart" like '30s slang for "whore" (such as in Of Mice and Men?)
Its Brit slang for whore as well. 
We never got FF4 till the playstation era so that point is moot.  We will check out the Zelda lets compare though.

A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 09:58:25 am »
If you need any help on this, I'd consider myself pretty well versed in the subject (having played through multiple versions of the game, including one in Japanese, not to mention my working on a long-term project for the game). I'd be more than willing to lend a hand, especially considering it's my favorite Final Fantasy.

You sound like you're my clone! I'll definitely need help - what I'm planning on doing is updating things bit by bit like my old EarthBound comparisons, so if I miss anything or get anything wrong don't hesitate to let me know.

A couple questions I have right now:

- I'm assuming Easy Type came first, then the English version, is this the case? I haven't really looked into it yet.
- Is there something somewhere that suggests her name should be Lydia and not Rydia? I seem to recall some discussion about that on these boards a while back.
- Anything you recommend I look out for especially? By this I mean stuff that most people might not think to do, like revisit an old town at a certain point, stuff like that.

Also, one of the translations you did was kinda strange:

The Japanese says "Due to having considerable supernatural strength, it's attack power is quite high", or something to that effect. (なかなかの怪力・・・)

Ooh, you're absolutely right, thanks!

please make note of the fact that the DS version is the only translation to get the first line of the Mysidian prophecy right. :3 FF2 and FFIVA (and thus FFIVCC) use "One (to be) born from a dragon" when the original says "竜の口より生まれし者"; FFIVDS uses "Birthed from womb of dragon's maw."

Haha, I remember your many rants about the legend, so no worries there. I'm not actually sure what the problems are since I haven't compared them - is the fact the translation leaves out the mouth part the main problem? I remember thinking the legend sounded really weird and dumb when I first played it back in the day, though.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 11:09:44 am »
According to GameFAQs, EasyType was released on October 29, 1991.
According to the notes I have (which I THINK was Square's US Patent & Trademark Office), the US release was a day later. But that could be wrong. If that was there, it would be the "first use in commerce" which I guess doesn't necessarily mean release date.)
GameFAQs claims the US version was released November 23. (though the 10/30 date makes more sense as it was a Wednesday, 11/23 would have been a Saturday. Who releases games on a Saturday? :P

(USPTO filings would also suggest FF Adventure was released on 10/23 (exactly one week earlier) and FFLII on the following Tuesday (11/5).)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:07:05 pm by KingMike »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 11:55:44 am »
According to GameFAQs, EasyType was released on October 29, 1991.
According to the notes I have (which I THINK was Square's US Patent & Trademark Office), the US release was a day later. But that could be wrong. If that was there, it would be the "first use in commerce" which I guess doesn't necessarily mean release date.)
GameFAQs claims the US version was released November 23. (though the 10/30 date makes more sense as it was a Wednesday, 11/23 would have been a Saturday. Who releases games on a Saturday? :P
Also... wouldn't that have been the post-Thanksgiving weekend, which would be an even stranger time to release a game in the US?)
(USPTO filings would also suggest FF Adventure was released on 10/23 (exactly one week earlier) and FFLII on the following Tuesday (11/5).)
According to the Japanese wiki:

FFIV: 7/19/91
EasyType: 10/29/91
FF2US: 11/01/91
PSX: 3/21/97
FF Chronicles: 6/29/01
Wonderswan: 3/28/02
GBA (U): 12/12/05
GBA(j): 12/15/05
DS: 12/20/07
DS(U): 7/22/08
Wii VC: 8/4/09
NTT Cell Phones: 10/5/09
au EZ App (BREW): 12/10/09
Softbank App: 1/13/10
PSP: 3/24/11
PSP(U): 4/19/11
PSN: 6/27/12

A couple questions I have right now:

- I'm assuming Easy Type came first, then the English version, is this the case? I haven't really looked into it yet.
- Is there something somewhere that suggests her name should be Lydia and not Rydia? I seem to recall some discussion about that on these boards a while back.
- Anything you recommend I look out for especially? By this I mean stuff that most people might not think to do, like revisit an old town at a certain point, stuff like that.

It did. And I assume that the US version was based on Easy Type. Both EasyType AND the US version are the only versions to have the extra dialogue in the intro scene revolving around the crystal. Not to mention, a few of the changes made for EasyType made it over to the US version as well. Like the idea of having one item for healing status effects instead of a dozen. And the idea to take a lot of the commands out (in fact the US version took it a bit further, and took out even MORE. EasyType only took out, according to the wiki, "commands that were hard to understand or hard to use", like Prayer, Build Up, Endure, Fake Tears, etc. They left in Darkness, for example. But the US version snatched it out, as I assume you know).

As far as stuff to look out for? Not much of the text changes in places upon a second run through that I can remember, but it has been a few years since I ran through the game.

~DS
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:03:34 pm by DarknessSavior »
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 07:22:37 pm »
Exactly what you should be doing, I suspect.
̛let me enjoy my quarter life crisis dammit
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 08:19:19 pm »
̛let me enjoy my quarter life crisis dammit
Get hipster shades and snort coke off the back of a brazilian monkey, discovering that the monkey's DNA was laced with AIDS and now the only way to survive is to fight through the Thunderdome of heartwarming movie scenes about chemotherapy and tough love survival.