News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia SNES (Enhancement) (Slow WIP)  (Read 103007 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia SNES (Enhancement) (Slow WIP)
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2018, 02:52:36 pm »
Okay, so, been awhile since I've posted on this thread but loooooots of overall updates since last time.

1. All PC's but Arche & Cless can be played properly. Arche is pretty close but she has some very interesting coding issues I need to work out. Mainly due to her flying maneuvers. This will be kind of a pain to deal with. Cless, as well, is technically working to a very small extent. He only has his idle, walking, running and first attack properly ported into new space. I have to COMPLETELY move all of his other commands.. which is going to be absolutely dreadful. The largest issue here is that all of his code is very hardcoded to being in slot #1, as prior posts pointed out. I will have to modify all of his routines to be dynamically based so he can work as an NPC properly. He's definitely going to be the last on the list because this will be the most annoying and obnoxious part of the project unfortunately.

2. Chester, Mint and Brambard have all of their sprite data, animation data and weapon data moved into the new banks. Even their sprites have been moved as well so they are 100% capable of having new animations, sprites and weapon graphics! With that, Brambard is STILL a clone of Chester as my focus has mainly been trying to make manual battle controls working but he'll be coming up sooner or later. Mint right now has a brand new attack animation and has a small variety of weapon graphics now as well so she's a bit more useful in the physical attack department at least.

3. Lia is technically playable now as well. She only has her idle and beta spell cast sprites in-game and functioning, otherwise, she's a clone of Mint thus far with Arche's spell list (Which I really need to cut down for her). She also has fully functional new spell voices too!

4. All SFX/BRR pointers have been moved into new space so it is now feasible to add new voices! As above, Lia has spell voices now.

5. All PC's now have their own Spell Voice table. So if someone were to say give Chester Fireball, he won't be screaming with Arche's voice anymore. The tables are customizable so any voice can be set for any spell for any character.

6. Battle Controls are still a WIP. PC's can now walk, run, attack, spell cast, spell cancel, use items, etc.. manually. To run, you just double tap. Of course, you can stop running at any time by pressing the opposite direction. However, if you attack or use a spell, it will cause the PC to slide and do their appropriate action.

7. More PC code has been condensed down into a single routine since they're all, once again, extremely similar.

Technically all I have left for manual commands are: Jump (With falling), jump attack (With falling), up + attack and guard. Once those are implemented, the game should play very similarly to Tales of Destiny and PS1 Tales of Phantasia.

It's not a lot per se, but it's a huge background update overall and I'm pretty excited with how much has been done so far!

'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2018, 01:54:44 am »
Man, I get a 4 day weekend AND there's an update to this project? What a good day!

As a side note, how are you planning on handling new voices for the characters? If you need voice work, I've always wanted to lend my talent to something like this.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2018, 09:58:25 am »
More updates on the list here!

1. Klarth has been fully moved out and he is now able to be modified like all other characters in all aspects.
2. Cless has been moved out Command wise, but not sprite or animation wise on him or his weapons. There's a couple bugs left over on him but otherwise, he is a functional playable character again. Most of his character specific data has been modified as well to be dynamic based on PC slot now so HOPEFULLY this will allow him to work properly in other slots when the time comes.
3. All PC's have a general 'Up + Attack' button set now. However, Mint is the only one at the moment with a currently functioning attack for that.
4. Slowly experimenting with what later Tales of.. games do to an extent by removing the delay after a character spell casts that prevents them from casting right away again. In exchange, especially notable on Narikiri Dungeon X as an example, the characters have a continuous lengthy animation of their spell cast going instead. I feel the delay system was a bit.. off on the original SNES version but it was probably used for AI instances for checking things and such.
5. Interesting to note on here as well. The game has support for up to 6 fully playable characters without any modification. Looks like this was the general basis, which makes sense, considering Rambard was supposed to be playable so that cuts out a lot of work in the long run.
6. Also to note, the bytes that state what skills have been learned per PC also has 6 functioning areas as well.

Twitter/Video updates but never posted here:
1. https://twitter.com/i/status/1048959941707534338 - Arche's shadow is now dynamic based on her height. (However, there's a bug right now where her hitbox is.. off so she can't move beyond the enemies.)
2. https://twitter.com/i/status/1046513662192754688 - Mint with her Up + Attack.
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZg_PUAvJM - Mint being playable (Slightly less out of date from the Up + Attack one.
4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQU_FbQnJg4 - Arche being playable (Before the shadow was included and with no bugs)
5. https://twitter.com/i/status/1034941538911117314 - Lia technically playable with her own spell voices.
6. https://twitter.com/i/status/1034941536621002754 - Mint with various WIP weapon graphics.
7. https://twitter.com/i/status/1033354154276777984 - Sound Test screen with voice testing for Lia (Without the video from above)
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2018, 02:34:30 pm »
It's been a long time since this project got started, wow.

Funny how your life can change so much in the span of a few short years.

Nice to know you're back working on it.

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2018, 03:35:02 pm »
Great to see some updates to this! It's looking very promising, wow !