News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia SNES (Enhancement) (Slow WIP)  (Read 149080 times)

DougRPG

• View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia (SNES Enhancement) (Re-re-RE In Progress)
« Reply #180 on: July 17, 2014, 06:43:09 pm »
We'll have to see how much room in RAM I have to add her though in the long run.

Why not expand the Ram (edit: Sram) to 128K? I think this is completely valid for ToP and compatible with the real hardware. It saves you a lot of trouble. You can also expand the Rom to 8M if you like.

But I don't know how some emulators will handle this change. In Bsnes/Higan this is trivial.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:07:03 am by Dgdiniz »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 17, 2014, 07:06:57 pm »
Oh no, I'm not adding anymore really :P  I just like having the extra room just in case.  I PREFER having extra padding JUST IN CASE something else comes up.

Edit: The ROM is expanded to 8MB at the moment.  I had no idea expanding RAM was possible, but seeing as it probably won't work well with Geiger's then I probably won't touch it.  I know SRAM can be expanded but Geiger's doesn't mirror it correctly.  I'm not a big fan of BSNES whatsoever even if being the most probable accurate emulator so I tend to stray from that.

Edit 2: It might be easier to just bump all PC data to 7E:B400 if the game READS/WRITES to that properly.  If so, that'd save A LOT of time and effort while allowing more padding.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:25:31 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 18, 2014, 09:06:18 am »
I had no idea expanding RAM was possible

Ops, sorry, I mean Sram, not Ram  :o. I think 256K is the maximum. Some games like SimCity and Shiren the Wanderer has 256K. You can expand Sram and use it like Ram. It's completelly valid.
So you can expand to 128K and you will have 64K for scratchpad. There is no timing issues here. Sram can be used like Ram, and you have the advantage of store some data between shutdowns if you want.

I'm not a big fan of BSNES whatsoever even if being the most probable accurate emulator so I tend to stray from that.

Ok, but you can use it to test your game, because it tells you if the game is hardware compatible.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »
I thought Justin already tried to expand SRAM and it didn't work.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2014, 01:44:40 pm »
It does work but only on BSNES and such. Geiger's mirrors it incorrectly which ruins it since I can't ever use the space as intended. Otherwise I'd definitely be using that more as a scratch pad and what not.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2014, 05:18:58 pm »
I suggest not expanding the SRAM and using it as work RAM if you care about it being played on real hardware. It becomes essentially broken on many flashcarts (one of which is the SD2SNES). It will result in sitting there hammering your SD card into oblivion with writes. It tries to detect such usage and slow the writes down, but it's still continuously writing indefinitely.

If you do it anyway, that would mean the most convenient way to play it on hardware would then be a repro cart and the repo guys would LOVE you for that. :P
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2014, 07:21:56 pm »
the repo guys would LOVE you for that.

Yes, this can be used as some kind of repro protection, if anyone cares about that. At least will be more difficult to do a repro. The problem with expanding the Sram really are the flashcards. Dammit  :'(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:40:08 am by Dgdiniz »

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2014, 07:03:20 am »
ikari made SRAM of 512kbit and 1mbit possible in one of his last patches... I see no reason why it shouldn't work with expanded SRAM-data on a sd2snes now.
If it shouldn't work, just send the ROM to him. He even did a special fix to his flashcard so the Megaman X 3 playable zero patch works flawless on real hardware.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2014, 07:51:34 am »
Too bad they're using my old bugged version 3: Wish I could get the motivation to finish the damn new version of that

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2014, 10:14:01 am »
ikari made SRAM of 512kbit and 1mbit possible in one of his last patches... I see no reason why it shouldn't work with expanded SRAM-data on a sd2snes now.
If it shouldn't work, just send the ROM to him. He even did a special fix to his flashcard so the Megaman X 3 playable zero patch works flawless on real hardware.

That doesn't stop the problem of SD card write hammering when you choose to use SRAM as work RAM (and not saving as it is normally intended). It will sit there writing over and over indefinitely, prematurely killing your SD card. As mentioned, he attempts to compensate by detecting this and offering a 15 second delay between writes, but that's it. Still writes the whole time, indefinitely. Play a handful of RPGs like that and your card is toast. I wish the delay was settable or simply able to be disabled. I don't see information on how the Super Everdrive or Powerpak handles this. I hope it is not even worse.  :-\

With hardware use consideration in mind, I'd think about avoiding using SRAM as work RAM.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2014, 10:37:33 am »
Yes, the Sram in a normal cartridge is a real Ram chip, so you can use it like a "normal Ram". But flashcards uses a flash chip to store the save data, so it works in a different way.
I don't know if there is some official game that uses Sram as scratchpad. I know Shiren the Wanderer has a huge Sram, but I don't know the reason.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2014, 11:19:12 am »
I'm sure at least part of the reason Shiren (and Torneko's Mystery Dungeon as well, I think) does it is for anti-cheating purposes (if you play badly, it stays).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2014, 10:16:12 am »
Just a minor update with the little time I've had.  (I got called off work today.. first time in like 5 months =|  Shortage of work is lovely!)

I've been tweaking the scrolling code here and there trying to make things work and right now it's going quite well!  It loads 6 PC's on the screen now (If you have them) and their stats, etc..  The screen scrolls Layer 3 but NOT 1 or 2 so I had to flip some data all over the menu to be on Layer 1 instead of 3.  Right now, I can scroll to PC 5 and 6.  It will check if there's anything beyond PC 5, if so, scroll more, otherwise it does nothing.  With doing that, I've added two new 'commands' into the menu list being #56 and #57.  PC #5 is command 56 and PC #6 is command #57.  You can load whatever menu needed with them.

I'm contemplating now though that I may end up redoing how half the menu loads hand X/Y coordinates and such and make it into a common routine that can be shared through each command which would open up two extra byte slots for each PC command.  (Which will be REALLY nice to have).  I think this'll be the easier route to go as once I hit PC 5/6, the hand X/Y coordinates get a little whacked out due to how the screen is.  If I do it as a table loading the PC #, I can have a specific check that will check if the screen is scrolled a certain amount and then load what PC # you're on, add or subtract a value then load the table for hand X/Y coordinates.  Basically making it A LOT easier to work with instead of having to write a plethora of checks for each PC.

After that's done, I'll start working on scrolling the screen back to it's normal position as you scroll from PC #4 and below.  If I can get all that working then the main menu's scrolling junk is basically done.  All I'd have to do is have PC's in slot #5/6 have 'dark' text and MAYBE even a darker palette to dictate that they're in reserve.

Edit: Screen scrolling works like a charm!  I disabled the 'A, B, Up/Down Arrow' commands as the screen scrolls so it no longer fast fowards and causes issues!  The ONLY thing left is to get PC's scrolling and then fix the hand X/Y coordinates as you move from different PC's and such.  Otherwise, it's working absolutely perfectly!  It SHOULDN'T be a problem to add character replacement then afterwards either!  I just have to figure out a way to tell the player that they're able to somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Diwhj4A89c - Video up! :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:46:45 pm by justin3009 »

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2014, 05:15:28 pm »
Man this will be one whiskey of a hack.

I've been following the project for quite some time. Just wanted to say your work will be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:34:58 am by khalismur »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2014, 11:55:16 am »
Scrolling PC's are now done and perfected!  I can't create any bugs with it so I believe things are done with that aspect :)  What comes next kind of goes hand in hand but I'm unsure how to go about it considering I have little screen space to work with.

I'm planning to follow a 'Tales of The Abyss' method in which you press --> and it allows you to swap characters on the main screen.  The main problem being that is I have NO room anywhere to actually have a button or text dictating to press '--> Edit Party'.  The only thing I can think of is the bottom left and crush everything together to create it, but then it's just.. too cramped looking on the text.  The other way would be to drop the Food option from the game all together which would allow that giant chunk to be used but I'm not sure how people would feel about dropping the Food option and not having any use for food then quite yet :/ (Cooking will be included obviously but it won't be for a LONG while..)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:15:40 pm by justin3009 »

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2014, 12:34:25 pm »
Two options I can think of
1) do it old school. No on screen indicators. In game explanations are for wimps. RTFM.
2) is it possible to have an overlay that vanishes after x cycles (bonus points for fades) that says Press Right to edit party"

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »
It's possible to have another box with text on Layer 2 that could probably scroll up momentarily to say so.  That or maybe Layer 2 text that somewhat scrolls in a small area saying so.  It's just really hard to be sure on what to do as it feels too cramped and everything else.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2014, 02:06:38 pm »
You said you'd be adding in other scenes and dialogue. Maybe you have a random villager mention it. Unobtrusive for experienced players, but there for new players.

Side note, just watched the YouTube video again. Are you going to space that bottom right box out a bit more?  Big gap in the middle there.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2014, 03:02:34 pm »
Do you mean with Gald/Food/Time and such?  If so, probably not quite yet.  It was spaced like that so it'd be even on the top and bottom more or less.  It's impossible to finalize the menu quite yet when there's going to be a lot of changes going on especially considering the 'Tactics' menu is most likely going to be merged with the 'Formation' menu.

Also, that might be a good idea with the NPC.  If I remember right, right when you're about to leave Cless's town for the first time, it pops up a different colored text box explaining the overworld and such.  Maybe incorporate that and then tell about the menu party replacement?  Could work but it feels sloppy in a way.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2014, 03:31:11 pm »
Yeah. That's the bit. Just looked awkward with the gap in the middle.

Maybe it'd be possible to.do an notice when Chester first joins. That way it would feel more natural rather than appended to an overworld explanation.