News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia SNES (Enhancement) (Slow WIP)  (Read 151193 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia (SNES Enhancement) (Re-re-RE In Progress)
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2014, 08:30:22 pm »
- New spell menu code FINALLY working!  Only issue right now is that spell descriptions NEED to be split to work properly.  Otherwise, it works almost perfectly.  I BARELY had to move some code out only because I had to add in a check, otherwise I didn't even need to expand any code, it replaced the old one completely even using the original RAM values.

What the difference is that in the original game, each character had a hard-coded value for spells.  It'd load the first spell, Mint's for example would start at '1E' being First Aid.  It'd loop continuously until it hit the max number of rows you set, so you had NO freedom of spells.  Now what it does is go through the list of spells created for a table and ends when it hits an 'FF' value.  Each character can house 32 spells at max and has total freedom on what ones they can use.

Obviously the menu setup isn't permanent, thought I'd bring that up.  It's just the original one as a place holder temporarily.

Edit: Fixed usable spells in menu!  Can swap any healing spell onto another character and it will properly load the TP value, the healing menu and everything else!  All spells are swappable in the menu now.  Just need to fix up their descriptions still and that should finalize the main menus bit.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had a couple more bugs in the menu that I didn't realize.

First was using spells.  Apparently the game hard-coded healing spells to specific slots for god knows what reason.  Altered that so it can now work anywhere (Didn't even need to expand the code for this).

Second was TP amounts.  It loaded correctly but didn't take into account if spells were moved.  Fixed that now.

HOPEFULLY all magic menu bugs are now fixed.

Also, I discussed with a friend and we may have found a way to incorporate a very small fragment of Winona & Crew's story into the late game to explain a few things.  Still working on Rhea's way though.

Edit: - Also this.  Set all of Chester's values to the unused spell numbers and set his skill acquired list to the ALSO unused section of the skill list.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:55:40 am by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2014, 11:00:43 pm »
Been awhile since I've posted!

Haven't honestly made much progress on this since then as I couldn't get myself to work on a tedious bit in the menu, but finally I've gotten to it.

I rewrote the main menu string routine to be pointer based now instead of that 'run through and see if string exists' bit.  Have to update EVERY SINGLE SCREEN AND STRING MANUALLY.  Though with that, things are a lot easier to manipulate now.  All menus are done except for Sound Test.

After that, I have to fix the PC names in the intro sequence and PC names when you first name your characters.  After that, bug fixing a little bit.  Everything works for the most part but the Drum Set menu is busted due to a bad pointer value.  Then to start porting over old changes like the voice command, arte command and difficulty selection.

Progress is slowly being made at the moment but it's getting there!

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

TheFireRed

• Restricted Access
  • Fall of Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2014, 03:52:19 am »
Hang in there! Good work. :) :)

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2014, 03:55:56 am »
I'm glad Justin you've resumed working on this mod.  It is much appreciated by the community I can assure you! 

:thumbsup:

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2014, 06:05:48 pm »
Bit more progress that has taken literally all day thus far and it's JUST about done.

The VWF text routine is updated and all the text that's needed is added.  All the unused strings for VWF is labeled as 'BLANK' so now there's various places of empty text if needed!  The last remaining bits that I know of for the VWF junk is in battle when you are victorious or when you die.  Then there's the intro where it's doing the whole, who sang vocals, who voiced who etc..  Those are the last bits!

#W16($2FE68C)
 gald acquired!<end>
//POINTER #195 @ $2FEFF8 - STRING #195 @ $2FE3D0

#W16($2FE68E)
 experience gained!<end>
//POINTER #196 @ $2FEFFA - STRING #196 @ $2FE3D2

#W16($2FE690)
 has gained a level!<end>
//POINTER #197 @ $2FEFFC - STRING #197 @ $2FE3E3

#W16($2FE692)
 acquired!<end>
//POINTER #198 @ $2FEFFE - STRING #198 @ $2FE401

#W16($2FE694)
 learned!<end>
//POINTER #199 @ $2FF000 - STRING #199 @ $2FE41F

#W16($2FE696)
 mastered!<end>
//POINTER #200 @ $2FF002 - STRING #200 @ $2FE43F

#W16($2FE698)
You are defeated...<end>

#W16($2FE69A)
         Item Select[LB]         Decrease[LB]         Increase[LB]         Accept[LB]         Item Details<end>

#W16($2FE69C)
Insufficient TP!<end>

#W16($2FE69E)
Ambushed!<end>

The strings are imported, just need to fix the pointers.  After that, that SHOULD cover everything in the menu.  What's next is fixing a few palette issues that I forgot to tweak and then adding in the new options in customize.

Edit: Only string missing in battle is 'Ambushed!', otherwise rest is done.  I had to remove a function for a bit due to spell names crashing battle, though I just realized I have to alter WHERE it stores spells and not where it loads the name.  THAT'S my problem right now with battle.  That SHOULD be the final bug in battle minus Cless's skill names as they're still removed temporarily.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:19:52 am by justin3009 »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2014, 02:36:06 pm »
Long time since I've posted!  I finally got around to adding a routine for pre-rendered VWF now and just realized that the full 8x8 regular menu text routine I had is completely null now.  Seriously, nothing uses it anymore.  So I can remove an entire chunk of code and have a horde of more space now for anything!

Still have to get the PC names VWF'd again and fix a few screen oddities still but overall it's about ready again!

The routine that I have now is partially automatic.  The first two bytes of data are the location of the pre-rendered text.  The following byte after is the size of it for DMA transfer.  Last one is the color of the text.  Most of the data gets shot straight into RAM, which is transfered to VRAM for the tilemap. (This is the original routine when it gets thrown into RAM).

When it hits all the data that needs to be stored, it jumps into another routine that dictates the X/Y coordinates.  EACH menu has it's own set of coordinates due to some strings being repeated, so it's mandatory to have it.

When the data finally gets stored into VRAM, there's a hard-coded preset for it that starts at the beginning of Layer 3 for Tales of Phantasia.  As it sends the first round of data, it continues over a period of pointers until it hits FF, the end byte.  When it hits the string after the first, it gathers the previous VRAM piece size, divides it then uses that as the new location to store.  When it does that, it stores each string DIRECTLY next to each other automatically.  No problems at all and it's all sequential.

When the data is in the midst of transferring, it sets the X/Y coordinates for the text and uses another hard-coded preset value for the beginning tile piece.  As each piece gets stored, it counts up by 1.  So as you set the data, it keeps counting up on itself and sets the tilemap exactly as it should.  No problems again and it's still sequential.

Basically, it's all one giant assembly line that writes itself when the preset data is ready.  Easier than before, less giant clumps of repeated code consumption, better organization and overall better quality than what I had before.  The best part of all is there is ABSOLUTELY NO LAG!

The ONLY dynamic text that will be in any kind of menu are the PC names.  Everything else will have to be pre-rendered. (Though, I need to figure out a compression routine as when I start doing Arte/Item names.. that's going to be a massive amount of data).

Edit: Most of the post rewritten for clarity sake and more of a 'step by step' of how my routine works.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:26:23 pm by justin3009 »

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2014, 04:25:34 pm »
Can't wait! For some reason, this looks even more appealing to me than the psx version! Maybe because of my unhealthy love of snes, but good job! Keep it up, Joostin!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2014, 07:41:06 pm »
Glad to see everything is coming together for you and you are on your way to mastering the new skills presented in this topic! The most time consuming part of doing an 8x8 VWF on menus is the management code. Having to convert existing tilemap font based menu code to now utilize VRAM tile management, new tilemaps, conversion to coordinates, RAM management, static methods etc. can be a real bear. The end results sure are nice though. :)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2014, 07:19:31 pm »
Still working on the VWF junk.  Trying to alter the main routine the game uses and have a check for the 'small font' specifically for PC names (Or anything else I decide to make dynamic).

Everything works except for a slight bug when it writes sometimes.  Really don't know how or where but it's not really noticeable.

The big problem now is trying to cut down how it stores into RAM.  Right now it stores whatever it can do in 8 pixels, puts a blank 8 pixel inbetween then starts writing again.  I found out basically how it does that and altered the code only to find out that it STILL jumps 8 pixels sometimes and I have no clue why.  EXTREMELY bothersome.  Went through the code repeatedly for about 4 hours and I just couldn't figure it out.  Hopefully tomorrow :/

Edit: With some time in-between the horrifying previous owners garbage and Spring cleaning, got this done!

There was an issue previously in the old version with the 'i' and 'l' that I never really noticed until a friend stated it.  Fixed that up and everything feels more sleek now :)  Going good so far and MUCH less space usage!

Edit 2: Fixed the problem with the 8x8 font routine!  No more VRAM space is wasted now and it all condenses nicely with dynamics :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:13:20 pm by justin3009 »

bradzx

• View Profile
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2014, 09:22:01 am »
One of a few NPCs who joins the party during the game. The NPCs normally don't participate in battle and as such don't have stats, but Justin hacked the game to make him playable.

He was a leader or something of the elf village, allowing the party to enter until
Spoiler:
this witch turns him to stone as a sacrifice to make her undo her stone spell on Arche. Because Cless is an asshole who cares more about his dead friend's smashed bow than MINT'S LIFE. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2014, 09:22:57 am »
Rambard/Brambald/Brambert (Not sure why he has so many variations)

He's the Elf leader in the Elven Colony when you go to repair the pact rings (I THINK this is the story segment) and end up finding Origin.  It's also infamous in the GBA version where the whole 'Kangaroo' mistranslation happens.

It's also good to note that he WAS playable in early Tales of Phantasia but kind of got booted for whatever reason.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2014, 10:21:05 am »
One of a few NPCs who joins the party during the game. The NPCs normally don't participate in battle and as such don't have stats, but Justin hacked the game to make him playable.

He was a leader or something of the elf village, allowing the party to enter until
Spoiler:
this witch turns him to stone as a sacrifice to make her undo her stone spell on Arche. Because Cless is an asshole who cares more about his dead friend's smashed bow than MINT'S LIFE. :P
Oh really?  That nice.

Rambard/Brambald/Brambert (Not sure why he has so many variations)

He's the Elf leader in the Elven Colony when you go to repair the pact rings (I THINK this is the story segment) and end up finding Origin.  It's also infamous in the GBA version where the whole 'Kangaroo' mistranslation happens.

It's also good to note that he WAS playable in early Tales of Phantasia but kind of got booted for whatever reason.

I think Rambard is good enough.
You mean GBA version have mistake?
You mean beta version before full release?
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2014, 10:37:55 am »
I think DeJap only called him Rambard because they only had seven letters to work with and didn't want to put in an eighth. He is called Brambert in the GBA release, though. I've only ever heard him called Brambard, though; not Brambald as justin3009 keeps spelling it. Was it like that in Phantasian Productions' release?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2014, 01:00:05 pm »
I think I may have gotten it from the English Tales of Phantasia OVA.  It seems Brambald or Brambard both could work with how it's spelt out.

@bradzx:

1. I can definitely go full 8 letters, even 9 if I wanted to now for names.  I'm tied between Brambald/Brambard at this point now.
2. The GBA English version, yes.  If I recall right, it was supposed to say 'Ragnarok' but got 'corrected' to 'Kangaroo'.
3. The beta version before the first official release of the game on Super Nintendo.  He's not present in the PSX one as an NPC, but he is in the GBA version as it's based off the original SNES one.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2014, 01:05:49 pm »
1. I can definitely go full 8 letters, even 9 if I wanted to now for names.  I'm tied between Brambald/Brambard at this point now.
2. The GBA English version, yes.  If I recall right, it was supposed to say 'Ragnarok' but got 'corrected' to 'Kangaroo'.
3. The beta version before the first official release of the game on Super Nintendo.  He's not present in the PSX one as an NPC, but he is in the GBA version as it's based off the original SNES one.

1.  Oh ok.  But which one is right for you to use English version?
2. *facehoof*  For real?  I didn't notice it when I play GBA version.  Maybe I miss it that part when I press A button to skip it. 
3. Wait, why he is not in PSX version?

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2014, 01:24:37 pm »
If I can put in my two cents, I think Brambard sounds better than Brambald. Calling him Brambald almost seems like a borderline insult.

Then again I think Brambert sounds best, so take that as you will.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2014, 02:28:37 pm »
I might just go with Brambard overall.  I'll have to get some discussion going on that soon enough.

He was in the PSX version but he wasn't an NPC that joined your team.  Honestly not sure why they booted him there then brought it back in the GBA version when it was easy enough to not even add him into the team.

- Tiny update on the side!  Fixed numerous tiny bugs that I forgot to do before and prettied up most of the Status screen using my routine now!  No lag at all still :)  I'm in the midst of converting the menus now to the new drawing routine along with the DMA routine now, so it's going to be quite a bit.

Though, the best thing if I tested out right yesterday, is that I can officially have 2 column item screen again AND STILL have enough room for more in VRAM if it was needed!  So this is so much better than the previous version :D

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2014, 04:28:26 am »
Here's explanation on Kangaroo

I prefer Brambert, honestly, but Brambard works too.

Oh and I thought it was
Spoiler:
Arche who became a statue, not Mint

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2014, 10:19:47 am »
I might just go with Brambard overall.  I'll have to get some discussion going on that soon enough.

He was in the PSX version but he wasn't an NPC that joined your team.  Honestly not sure why they booted him there then brought it back in the GBA version when it was easy enough to not even add him into the team.
Alright.  :D

Hmm.  But you are going make this SNES that he is playable, right?