News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia SNES (Enhancement) (Slow WIP)  (Read 89517 times)

khalismur

• View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia (SNES Enhancement) (Re-re-RE In Progress)
« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2015, 11:42:07 am »
Glad to hear.. Thanks for the heads up!

Ambition

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2016, 04:16:19 pm »
Is this project still a go?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2016, 04:51:30 pm »
It is!  I haven't worked on it a long while, but it's just on a hiatus like most of my projects.  Need to take a break from then now and again so I don't get bored and not come back.  I definitely want to continue this!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2016, 10:57:46 am »
It is!  I haven't worked on it a long while, but it's just on a hiatus like most of my projects.  Need to take a break from then now and again so I don't get bored and not come back.  I definitely want to continue this!
Good to hear.

Grillkick

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2016, 09:50:06 pm »
Oh thank goodness! I've been very excited about this project.

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2016, 10:20:17 pm »
Yep. also waiting very patiently for 4+ years now :-)
This will rock !

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 24, 2016, 01:31:36 pm »
I'm still not officially back on this project yet, I'm most likely going to start it from scratch again just to get everything exactly right, but nonetheless a minor update on the old version that will be useful to note for later.

There was an annoying bug I had going on with the Save Menu/Load Menu that'd carry over into the Main Menu.  It'd basically randomly color some of the PC's palette to be black.  Turns out the reason for this was the game was reading some incorrect HDMA data from god knows where and it ended up constantly overwriting the PC's palette.

Nothing major, but it's really nice to know so I don't have to worry about this again later on.  I do hope to come back to this soon and 'officially' finish up the main gist of the menu and what not.  The menu was the thing taking up every amount of my time, but since I have all the basis coding ready I can just slap it over into a new ROM and it'll be basically ready.

I've also learned from working on a couple other games how to possibly remove the lag entirely in the spell/item menus when it comes to descriptions.  I'm pretty anxious to give it a test whirl down the road!

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

StorMyu

• View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia (SNES Enhancement) (On Hiatus)
« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2017, 10:53:56 am »
Just to say I haven't forgotten about this justin  ;)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2017, 05:36:16 pm »
I haven't either, don't you worry!  :D

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2017, 01:31:57 am »
This was the project that introduced me to Justin and his amazing work. I'm happy that it hasn't been forgotten!!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia (SNES Enhancement) (Slowly Progressing)
« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2018, 10:14:41 am »
Well, since I've been working on this, might as well post an update and such.
-----------------------------
First off, I'm going a different route with this project.

The original versions, I always jumped straight into menu editing and ended up giving up halfway through due to the workload. (Also mainly because I was doing it manually and not using any kind of .asm files.. so yeah. I'm not doing it that way anymore). So what am I doing now instead? I'm jumping straight into the characters data in battle.

What's been done?
1. All PCs, minus Cless, have had their commands written out into .asm files and have been moved into empty space. (IE: Chester, Mint, Arche, Klarth). This effectively allows me to add new commands to their data that can be used later on and allow easy expanding.

2. Some of their general code has been reduced to a single routine. Every. Single. Character. Has EXTREMELY to EXACTLY the same code on many, many accounts. They legit repeated it every single time for a character. I've only done it so far for various circumstances like status effects, victory flag, death and such. I've yet to hit the meat of their code yet, but the size difference will be astounding once that's ready. The big thing that concerns me here is that enemies are setup pretty much the same way. God knows how much space they wasted on this game's cartridge to repeat the same everloving code over and over. I'm almost betting most of the game could've been knocked down to 4.5 to 5MB if they conserved their space better. And considering how much it wasted on 5 PCs, imagine that code over a 100 enemies.

3. Victory was tied into their idle pose, for god knows what reason. I've moved Victory into it's own command now which just cleans up the code a bit more honestly. Separation on things like this is nice.

4. Chester can now effectively cast spells due to some changes.
Obviously, Chester CAN'T cast spells regardless but with how I'm generalizing a ton of the code, all PCs will have a spell cast command. This is mainly just for consistency sake.. but also for anyone who wants to cheat spells into Chester's arte list then it'll work.

5. PCs are getting some changes here and there. I'm working on Chester's right now so I'll speak on that half. Chester's animations will be more like his PS1 counterpart in some instances. So far, I've only gotten his 'Attack #1' done (Ground to ground). The sprites are implemented into the game and the sprite assembly is ready and good to go, but it's not being called upon yet. There's still some things here I want to do but I'm going to move onto the next part.

6. Weapons. Oh boy, weapons will be getting a change depending. Bows, especially right now, are being worked on. I've rewritten out Chester's bow code and now have added a new check that determines whether the bow is above or below priority on the character's sprite. Thus, this allows me to do something even better than the original game. All bow sprites will be FULLY rendered objects instead of being cut into tiny chunks to 'appear' as if they're above or behind him. With that done, I've actually cut down a ton of graphics while also adding a lot more sprites to use. The best part is that it doesn't even effect the OAM or VRAM table much at all. In fact, it takes less sprites to render than it did in the original and the VRAM is sometimes even less as well even though it's a fully rendered sprite! So this is a huge and positive change overall!

Bows, as well, will be getting a change. I have yet to implement it and I have to figure out exactly 'how' I'm going to overall, but I'll give the gist of it.

Bows right now have 3 types essentially. Short, Long and Crossbow. Nothing changes between bows except stats, obviously the same as all weapons in the game. What I want to do is make them very different in how they play to an extent. Short bows will have the lowest range and lowest damage, but they will have the highest attack speed of the three. Long bow will have more range and power, but be slower in firing off an arrow since it's more precise. Crossbows will be the strongest bows with the farthest range, however their attack speed will be abysmal. This is great for sniping essentially but if you're 'ambushed', this will be a bad move.

Just WIP ideas and mechanics I want to implement but it'll be figured out! I do want to make weapons more interesting. And since I have access to all their commands now, it's super easy to implement custom changes based on weapon type.

7. Brambard/Brambert/Brambald/Rambard: Whatever you want to call him. He was my main thing I wanted to implement in the other versions. As of right now, he 'technically' is actually a functioning PC and has some custom graphics inserted and working! Although, he's just a pure 100% clone of Chester right now until I get more sprites ready and can figure out 'how' exactly I want to set his data to be. He's going to be a very interesting and unique case in the game. Able to use both artes and spells. There's a fine line between making him too strong or too weak, not a replacement for Chester but not a replacement for Arche either. He needs to be more of an offensive support rather than an all out mage or archer. But balancing that is a huge issue. It'll be worked out much later, but know that he's actually in the works!

So far, this all that I can show you since most of everything is underneath in code wise, but not visually seen.

- Brambard actually in battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eSHcvpa5zI - Chester using a spell and he's clearly very angry.

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2018, 01:42:00 pm »
I don't have much to add, but I'm glad you're working on this again! I'm excited to see future updates on this.

Kurt91

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2018, 12:18:43 am »
The code was done that badly? I was always under the impression that this was one of those games that was coded incredibly well and efficiently due to how much people loved the intro and how much space it had to have taken up. You said that just cleaning things up could cut things down to 5MB. Just how large is the ROM size originally?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2018, 12:09:18 pm »
6MB, the maximum supported SNES ROM size.
Although anything above 4MB required a non-standard cart PCB.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2018, 01:03:00 pm »
Actually, the memory map for ToP supports up to 8 megs. In fact, Snes9x displays it as "ExHiROM, 64Mbits" and in bsnes-plus shows banks C0-FF and 40-7D mapped to the ROM, which is just 128kB shy of 8 megs (due to WRAM being mapped to banks 7E-7F). But since the ROM is special-cased in some older emulators, expanding it beyond its original size may cause some compatibility issues.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:00:59 pm by mziab »

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia SNES (Enhancement) (Slow WIP)
« Reply #235 on: June 05, 2018, 04:14:40 am »
I am *SO* excited about the addition of a new character. I am 100% here for this. You can definitely expect me to record this when it's all said and done. :D

Pickle

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2018, 09:43:19 am »
The code was done that badly? I was always under the impression that this was one of those games that was coded incredibly well and efficiently due to how much people loved the intro and how much space it had to have taken up. You said that just cleaning things up could cut things down to 5MB. Just how large is the ROM size originally?

possibly they had one function in the source code and had it marked as inline, which would result in each obj getting its own copy.

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2018, 06:39:59 pm »
6MB, the maximum supported SNES ROM size.
Although anything above 4MB required a non-standard cart PCB.

You have 11.9MB of Rom space in the address map, so you can have an 11.9MB rom if you want. You can have any size you want with a mapper (like MSU-1), but without mapping control in you game code you can have up to 11.9MB. Of course you'll need some nasty logic in the Pcb to distribute the rom data in the correct regions, but I'm talking by the code perspective.