News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia SNES (Enhancement) (Slow WIP)  (Read 145602 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia (SNES Enhancement) (Re-re-RE In Progress)
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2014, 03:44:06 pm »
That's actually a much better idea.  That would work nicely actually!  I'll have to try that once I figure out how to edit text and such!  Thank you for that idea :)
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2014, 09:27:37 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLb7pWUpHSs - Update!  PC Swapping now works in the main menu! :)

Edit: Just added a pre-set for later on!  Changing your PC NOW changes who you are on map!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:47:44 pm by justin3009 »

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »
I guess the map change wasn't included in the video? Klarth was dead in front with a live Rambard after him, but third place Cless was on the map.

(What happened to the clock there? and the equipment is borked?)

Swapping looks super smooth!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2014, 06:41:51 pm »
Yeah it was after that I realized I could do that, sorry! D:

Something with the : got screwed up awhile back.  It's just a tilemap error, nothing big.  Can be fixed in a few seconds.

The equipment and items aren't exactly borked.  They exist but their names aren't proper quite yet.  I have to add in their pre-rendered names and such first then add the routine to make it work right.  That's basically the BIG VWF bit that I'll end up doing last considering I have to finalize all item names along with arte names and such.  There's also the issue that I either need help with a compressor/decompressor for TOP's Layer 3 data, leave it wide open so it can be edited by anyone ooooor I'll have to import a very small but common routine that I can easily and freely edit to save space.

Edit: : is fixed.  Modified it's pointer for some reason.  Menu looks fine now!
--------------------------------------

Edit 2: How do people feel about the AI for PC's being redone to a point?  I don't want to stray TOO far for the SNES version but I want to allow the PC's to have more dynamic AI in battle.  I'm aiming towards a Tales of Legendia system for the TACTICS menu where you can set how far away they are from enemies, if they attack or defend more, a lot of TP usage or little and the target they can attack.  Basically using a scroll bar to dictate how each PC works thus giving full customizing per PC.  Is that too much to change for the 'base' version?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:49:59 pm by justin3009 »

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2014, 11:16:34 pm »
Personally, I'd really like to see those changes made. I mean, Phantasia's a good game, but the SNES version is definitely far slower compared to later games. I'd say go ahead with the changes.

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 31, 2014, 11:26:43 pm »
For sure. Gameplay changes to the battle system so things simply work better sound like a great addition.

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2014, 02:25:17 am »
Your patch will change some core features, I think the more the better.
Tales of Phantasia in my opinion is one of the best JRPGs out there and I enjoy the way it is. I see your "Enhancement" as a whole new revision of it. As long as it has balanced gameplay, every sane change will be welcomed!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 05, 2014, 10:08:53 am »

How do you all feel about this for the menu?

You'll be able to move the party's position like normal at top, then the middle portion is to control their AI a bit more.  Text isn't finalized nor done, but the basic idea is there.

Edit: Forgot to put this in the post D:

- Here's the other options that was done by a user that messaged me about the project.  S/He was even the one that gave the preliminary design for it all so BIG time thanks to them for that!

One is with arrows, which I actually really like.  The other is with a smaller + and -.. but it makes it look like a battery.  The original designs were [ ] on accident so ignore that, it's rounded now officially.

Which do you think looks best or if this is even okay?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:48:43 pm by justin3009 »

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:21 am »
I'd be very interested in those changes. But more customization might require harder battles (ToP was pretty easy anyway).

If you have access to offensiveness / defensiveness of the AI as a value, this value could maybe be randomized (to some extent) per battle when facing enemies. This would make encounters more unique...
Also, if skills and items changed this value for monsters's AI, we'd have much more dynamic and interesting battles!!

[/dreaming]

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2014, 10:35:14 am »
The AI PROBABLY isn't setup like that right now.  I'm almost guessing that it's a bunch of conditional branches that break off to load certain segments.  I'd have to recode and try to replicate what TOP does for the most part but allow it to read from RAM for each value piece and go from there.  So lesser the number, the more or less they'd do depending on the command.  So essentially it would turn into a AI based on value but with whatever options to allow people to do what they want with the character.

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2014, 01:33:53 am »
Wow, that strategy menu looks really neato! I'm actually curious, what will the other bars be for? Like, I imagine atleast one of them will remain Def/Atk (which I can imagine what that does), but once the menu is finalized what will the others do? Will it vary from character to character?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2014, 02:17:53 pm »
The text and ideas aren't 'quite' finalized on that yet.

Def/Atk will do as it says.
Arte Usage (Tp Usage.  Not sure which way to go) will be another to dictate how often they use skills or not.
I MAY do Distance so they can have a little more freedom on placement
Target will probably take the last bit and be regular text instead of a bar.  Dictates how they essentially go about in battle.

It's still very up in the air at the moment, but Arte Usage and Def/Atk will be in there.

Edit: The sliders are FINALLY implemented!  They don't fully work, of course, but they are there.  Their RAM values are dictated though and they CAN slide.  Right now there's just no way to make them slide manually.

Right now, it uses four unused values in each PC to dictate the range of each tactic.  7E:6AB2-7E:6AB5 are the choices for PC #1.  +100 bytes per PC.  So now all PC's have their AI stored right into their slots thanks to some unused variables.  (As far as I know of they're unused.  I couldn't get them to trigger outside or inside battle with any status effect, spell or anything.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:56:47 pm by justin3009 »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2014, 05:30:36 pm »
Not much of an update but here we go!

1. Sliders FULLY work on ALL PC's with their own storage value.  The 'only' couple things left on that screen are descriptions and the text for your Target.  Descriptions will come much, much later on.
--> The FINAL command was finally figured out.  It's being noted down as 'Behavior'.  It tells whether you stay in place (Farthest in negative values) or you go full force chasing down an enemy no matter what (Highest positives).  It basically tells whether you play aggressively or defensively.  It's a 'tad' different from Atk/Def as that specifically tells whether you attack or defend while behavior actually puts in play the actions TOWARDS doing those.

2. Few more voices done for various characters (In the later version of TOP after the minor enhancement).

3. Officially going to go with PSX sprites with some tweaking here and there.  Battle sprites may HEAVILY be edited.  (Most noticeable on PCs atm)

4. We got a battle sprite for Brambard ready!

5. Item organization is going!  Each tab NOW organizes the items and ONLY shows those specific ones.  So 'New' items will only show new, Battle usable will only show battle usable, weapons are only weapons, etc..  MUCH easier on VRAM and everything in the long run, plus it makes it easier for people who just want to quickly check something specific.

That's about it!  Haven't had too much time to work on anything lately.

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2014, 04:50:03 am »
Thanks for the update.

Can the SNES handle PSX sprites well enough? Do you think this will be made playable on real console?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 29, 2014, 11:19:24 am »
The overworld sprites are no problem except palettes will have to be very limited due to reflections and such used.  There SHOULD be enough room in VRAM in battle since they actually have a horde of room left open for it.

I doubt it can be played on real console but people have done stranger things so guess it's all up to whomever wants to do the work.  (Not sure if there are ANY 8MB games on the SNES).

Edit: Update.. sort of.  I have a pretty weird sickness at the moment so progress may slow for a bit.  But I'm thinking of moving the 'Treasure' items to being ACTUAL items that cannot be sold, bought or seen at all in stores nor can they be 'organized' in a sense.  Essentially it's just easier this in case I want to add more Treasure items.  Doing that, I'll have to find where and how each treasure item is used and make sure the game scans the treasure item area instead of the other inventory items.  With that, ABCD is shoved to the end o the organization list and will have a new icon or 'Treasure' and be specifically or those kinds of items.

Edit 2: Made a small 'To-Do' list for the menu.  Most of it resides in the item menu hilariously.  Most part is I'm adding a new feature that's in the later games but it's really ridiculously hard to implement due to how the menu is coded.  Basically you'll only scroll to the MAX items you have on your organization page instead of all 255 every single screen.  L/R scrolling is perfectly fine, just up and down manually by arrows is ridiculously challenging.

Also, I finally figured out a couple values in RAM to dictate sprite stretching :D  The results are quite humorous.  Running around with a giant Cless that lags the game or a dwarfism Cless.  I love it!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:26:21 am by justin3009 »

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 17, 2014, 07:10:03 am »
Hey

Did you manage to finish the menu? 8MB games are of course theoreticaly possible on real console. I might attempt to tweak it once released, if you would agree.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 17, 2014, 11:16:16 am »
Haven't touched this project for a bit. Work this month has been too hectic to really do anything.

The menu basis was pretty much done but the overall menu has a LLOONG ways to go to be finished.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2014, 07:35:59 pm »
This project sounds kickass. I've tried to play through ToP in the past, but for some reason I'd trail off to something else. But with the changes and tweaks you're doing, I'd actually play through the whole game for once. Keep up the good work!

When this eventually comes out, I'll be playing the shit out of it via PSP and Wii. :D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2015, 02:12:19 am »
Hey justin3009. I’m sorry to bump this old thread but I am still very much looking forward to this awesome project.. Does it still breathe?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2015, 10:08:06 am »
It breathes, albeit quietly in a corner.  It's currently on hiatus again but I plan to get back into it again soon.