I've barely been able to work on this due to my partner deciding to have his friend's kid over for the entire month of June.. which kind of destroyed any kind of time either of us had for anything. But with the time I've had, I THINK I've been able to finish off most of the Save Screen officially now!
1. Removed the colorization of saves. It was too much of a limiting factor and was causing ludicrous amounts of bugs that just was not worth to be worked around.
2. Location names all work now! Some will still have to be worked on for the final names, but I found a cheaper (somewhat space consuming) way to do it. There are 39 save points in total in the game that I've counted. If there's more, I'll have to import more text to make it appear. But with that, saved game locations are based on what map you are on (326 officially but overworlds are 400, 401 and 402) which is saved into SRAM. It does that, loads a table with the map number you have, loads a SINGLE byte from that table then doubles it to load ANOTHER table to get the pointer for the text. Basically just a sequence of events. With that though, I've made a special text for values '00' in the pointer table to dictate 'Impossible Save!' for anyone who decides to allow saving ANYWHERE. Basically shows that they're cheating
1. Load screen works but a few kinks need to be worked out due to how I messed with the save screen.
2. There's a couple sprite bugs when PC's are dead in the save screen which won't be too much of a problem to fix.
3. There's a bug that sometimes randomly appears on the Save Screen causing screen flicker.. haven't encountered it more than twice and I have no clue what sets it off.
4. It might have been from when I had bad code loading for sounds but I'll have to do another playthrough to be sure. A lot of instruments on the overworld, voices in battle, etc.. were broken and it effected through the ENTIRE game. I'm hoping it was just some bad code I had early on that went with my saved game, otherwise I'm in for a hell of a ride trying to fix what caused it.
1. My friend and I have discussed it a bit and we figured, if I'm going to end up redoing half the battle system, sprites and what not, might as well go all out and redo as much as possible. What I mean is basically almost a 'reimagination' of the game while keeping the MAIN plot yet trying to fix/add more details so it doesn't feel so out of whack and completely random. With that, I'm HOPING to add in more events and story on Rhea (Hopefully I'm able to pick up notes from the novel with Winona/Rhea) to help explain on why she was there instead of just a random event that happens with barely anything to explain it. I know it does later in the game being like, SHE WAS WITH MAGITEK! But.. that's not really a 'big' story event if it just happens casually out of the blue to never be heard of again. Also with that, I'm hoping to add more story with Winona as well since she was a BIIIIIIIIGGGG part of why Dhaos was doing what he was doing, minus the king of Alvanista(?) I think it was being a douche.
With that, a brand new art style may come into play. Mainly due to the stupid palette limitations to allow reflections and such but hopefully used as well to make it feel.. 'fresh'.
2. Multiple side-quests with cameo battles and such.
3. I'm planning to possibly either COMPLETELY drop Arche learning spells from books, or at least having a few 'special' spells be learned. It's honestly a bit nit picky and annoying at this point with how things are learned. I'd rather go a TOTA route where most of her generic spells are learned through leveling while some extremely powerful ones will be discovered. Though for a heads up, her spell list will be heavily revamped with spells from TOP, later titles and even some brand new ones.
4. Trying to figure out some way to have Klarth NOT be another spell caster. I want him to do so, obviously, but I want him to have more of an active role in battle instead of, ya know, STAY IN BACK AND SPAM WHOMEVER. It's repetitive, extremely outdated, klunky and slow for the SNES.
5. Klarth will have a couple new summons. One will be one that's in basically every Tales of.. game now and the other I'm trying to see if I can make work into the story. Kind of like Gremlin Lair in a sense.
6. Cless, as I said before, will have a MASSIVE overhaul on his arte list. I do plan to have specific artes be usable in the aerial battle with Pegasus so that'll help out a lot there. Though, I'm possibly thinking of having all his 'Time/Space' artes be specific to the Eternal Sword UNTIL you master every. single. one. of his artes. Then that'll unlock his ability to use it with any weapon.
7. Brambard will be playable, clearly, with his own spell list and acquiring many unique spells of his own. His arrow artes will NOT be elemental whatsoever. I want to differentiate him from Chester who's artes tend to be specific elements. With this though, his damage will be based on the enemies defense and physical resistance. Though, having spells will help narrow that gap down a bit. He WON'T be a master of spells though. He'll have most intermediate to weak spells and a couple very strong ones on a specific element. Though in which case, his magic damage will be heavily weaker than Arche's to make him more of a weaker all around character.
8. Chester will have a few new artes, though, voices may not be able to be made for them considering he has very little to work with in any regard on games. As said before, I do plan to add 'Shishisenkou' as one of his artes but maybe a specialized version just for him.
9. Lilith WILL make an appearance in the arena, though with the randomized possibility of multiple forms. This will be explained in more detail further down the road.
10. As Brambard being a new character, there will be a special little cameo character as well that doesn't have much significance to the plot, but rather just a fun bit to use. Think Welch from Star Ocean. The character will be recruitable by a decision you make.
11. Huge changes to spells in-game. Many will be converted to being sprite based which will allow for a quicker battle system. I will retain spell pause on some spells but I'll try to make it Narikiri Dungeon 3 style where it's ridiculously quick and allows for quick battles still.
12. Two very special battles that will occur possibly as a side-quest or may be part of the final story. I'm unsure on which to do at the moment, but I'll give a hint later on what one of the battles will be.
13. New Game+ with grade screen options.
14. Enemy resistances will be play a MUCH bigger role. This will be mandatory considering what the characters all have so I want to make the battles a bit more distinctive and almost force you to use different characters, but not completely. They can be won either way but using the right characters will make battles much easier.
These are just some of the basic ideas I hope to do! It's going to be a long, long journey but I hope I am able to do a chunk of what I hope to do with this game.