News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Translation Complete for the First Adventure Game Relased on the Famicom!  (Read 48276 times)

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
I have received some nice e-mails from 2 or 3 people telling me where they were stuck and asking for hints.  I have responded to all of these within 24 hours.  Because of this I was toying with releasing the full walkthrough, but then reading these posts, I was reminded why I didn't do it when I first released the game.

This game is not an RPG.  It is a text adventure with graphics.  Unlike RPGs, like Dragon Warrior, which I've rarely gotten stuck in, I have gotten stuck in just about every text adventure I have ever played.  No one likes to get stuck.

By having people write to me where they get stuck, I can tell them exactly what they need to continue, but more importantly I learn where they get stuck and learn what needs to be added to the manual or the text in a later rev of the game.  Everyone who writes me essentially becomes a beta tester for the game.  If I release the full walkthrough, who's gonna take the time to let me know where they get stuck?  Regardless of how many people write me, I will release the walkthrough in about a week from today as that is what I always said I would do.

By the way, hiroshi sent me a link to a site which has the original story part of the original version's game manual.  shiroi has translated it.  I'm editing it and will release it in the readme as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:43:23 am by DvD »

Xkeeper

• View Profile
So, uh... gee:

"* Note: If you are stuck and you can't find what to do in this walkthrough, please email me at lol@inter.net"

Did someone spend all their common sense in the vending machine?
I run a wiki.

Xkeeper

• View Profile
Xkeeper,

Why are you attacking our project?  What did we do to you?  You have trouble that I didn't release the walkthrough immediately?  You don't like the font or the menus?  Then either WAIT FOR REV B or DON'T PLAY THE GAME!  Instead of stealing our work, why don't you work on translating a different game?

I just lost fifty braincells.

Aparrently, fixing some bugs and re-releasing it (you know, as I planned, with the original notices in tact but with a small "Updated font/menu by yrs truly") is theft?

Holy dumbassery, Batman!
I run a wiki.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
I think we have a candidate for the first thread in the Front Page News section to be closed.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Lilinda

• View Profile
I agree.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Xkeeper

• View Profile
Closing threads is generally a bad option. What if someone else cares to comment on this?

I'm just waiting for some logic to sink in here.
I run a wiki.

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile

Xkeeper

• View Profile
It's a mostly uniamous agreement that this thread is some pretty good drama, yes. ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 03:31:38 am by Xkeeper »
I run a wiki.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
Closing threads is generally a bad option. What if someone else cares to comment on this?

Threads are usually closed when they're starting to spin out of control and a major shit storm is on the horizon. You do realize this, right?

Xkeeper

• View Profile
Threads are usually closed when they're starting to spin out of control and a major shit storm is on the horizon. You do realize this, right?
Consider the time I've been here before asking that, and you'll get your (obvious) answer.
I run a wiki.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions

You better open up every single thread at acmlm's then. ::)

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Xkeeper

• View Profile
Generally, though, most threads we close are because they're just stupid or were worthless anyway (e.g. advertising).

Most threads that don't fit that but are closed anyway aren't my doing, and I don't like to argue with the staff (about such small shit)
I run a wiki.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
Consider the time I've been here before asking that, and you'll get your (obvious) answer.

How long you've been here doesn't matter unless this is the first time in your life you've ever had access to the internet and a message board.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I'm sorry, but I'll just say this now:

Ryusui, please shut up. You took the hard work of this man, and ran it into the ground. He was completely content with his release before you got to it, and now look.
Secondly, this game is not Sylvanian Families. They are not similar styles, similar genres, nor are they on the same system, aimed at the same audience, or even should be considered similar. This is a game that is text-reliant, and for you to offer to help him re-vamp and/or re-translate a decent translation after admiting that you embellish on your Japanese is somewhat of a joke.

Xkeeper, generally it's up to the original author to release an updated font patch. If you feel the need to do so, at least get his blessings before hand. Don't offer to do it for people, since, by the way you posed it, it's as an attack against the author.

Dvd, if you are happy with your release, do -not- feel pressured to change it because of some nit-picky people. It is -your- hard work, as well as your translator's. The fact that you put so much care into keeping the translator happy should be noted. This patch is a creation of your own, and should make you happy... Screw the rest of 'em.

I did nothing of the sort. He asked for feedback and I provided. Any translation hacker will tell you that any feedback is preferable to no feedback: if you make a mistake and nobody warns you, what will happen the next time?

And FYI, I'm fully aware that Portopia is a different game from Sylvanian Families. SF1 was put together by some programmers (the "genius madmen", as I like to call them) at Epoch to drum up sales for a toyline. Portopia was a labor of love written under tight hardware restrictions. SF1 has almost nothing in the way of writing or humor: everything I've done for it has been a test of my own abilities rather than a testament to the game's quality. Portopia is a legend: its original script should be treated with respect.

Respect for the source material.
Respect for the target language.
Respect for the target audience.

My Three Noble Truths of Translation. A path to enlightenment that all translators, fan or otherwise, should abide by.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Xkeeper

• View Profile
Whoever posted after me: We do things differently at my board. Not nessacarily better, but different. Not all forums are the same.

Ryusui: You missed "Disregard of sense." If this game (using this translation) was brought to the US when that game came out, it would've been considered below-average for translations.

I don't know about you, but I value making a chunk of text readable, enjoyable, and good over literal, historic, respectful.

Consider the fact that a lot of people who will potentially play this will not give the slightest inkling of a crap if it's "historical" or not, and you'll understand why I place this translation into the Crap category. It's stupid, it's overly verbose, and it makes no sense at all.
I run a wiki.

Xkeeper

• View Profile
Xkeeper, generally it's up to the original author to release an updated font patch.
Tearing your statement apart again, aparrently we should

1. Never release any ROM hacks (it's not the original author's work)
2. Never fan-translate any game, regardless of how requested it is (see above)
3. There is no 3. (Actually, I just forgot the point I was going to make here. I assume it has no value.)

How many more times will have to ctrlc ctrlv this? My keyboard's wearing out enough as it is.
I run a wiki.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Crimony. Is everything so freakin' black-and-white with you?

1. Ever hear of the phrase "honor among thieves"? We don't steal work from each other without due credit and permission. I think it'd rock if AGTP's patch for SMT had a slight revision to put the demon species and spell names more in line with the official Atlus translation, but I'd never think of doing such a modification without AGTP's permission, even if I could.

2. I'm fixing shiroi's work so that it doesn't read like a beginner's attempt. Trust me, I've been where she is now. It's not pretty. I thought I was pretty good doing my translation for G Gundam, 'cept that I didn't know half the grammar and vocab I should have...not to mention I'd never seen G Gundam in my life and had no idea who those people were. (Master Asia's betrayal and Schwartz being a good guy were two points that strung me up.) Naturally, there were at least 50 good reasons why AGTP finished their patch long before I worked up the nerve to try translating the story quests other than Domon's...though I think the logo I came up with looked better than theirs.

In short: you're wrong, and I'm here to help. Understand now?

Xkeeper

• View Profile
Crimony. Is everything so freakin' black-and-white with you?

1. Ever hear of the phrase "honor among thieves"? We don't steal work from each other without due credit and permission. I think it'd rock if AGTP's patch for SMT had a slight revision to put the demon species and spell names more in line with the official Atlus translation, but I'd never think of doing such a modification without AGTP's permission, even if I could.

2. I'm fixing shiroi's work so that it doesn't read like a beginner's attempt. Trust me, I've been where she is now. It's not pretty. I thought I was pretty good doing my translation for G Gundam, 'cept that I didn't know half the grammar and vocab I should have...not to mention I'd never seen G Gundam in my life and had no idea who those people were. (Master Asia's betrayal and Schwartz being a good guy were two points that strung me up.) Naturally, there were at least 50 good reasons why AGTP finished their patch long before I worked up the nerve to try translating the story quests other than Domon's...though I think the logo I came up with looked better than theirs.

In short: you're wrong, and I'm here to help. Understand now?

h esc g define 'honor among thieves"

Web definitions for "honor among thieves": utter bullshit

In depth:

1. This is nothing more than courtesy. I give none of you that because it's bullshit. Thives are thieves. Welcome to the family.
2. Bullshit point that has nothing to do with the conversation, unless I feel like ripping this up into even more shreds and saying that this is the (likely) only case of "I won't do this translation because someone else already wants to!!1" that worked out. How many translations are "in progress" (read: dead) because of this stupid unwritten law and no one getting the balls to actually do something?

P.S. Yes, it is. This is a purely black-and-white affair, anyway.

I'm tempted to apply this stupid logic you have to various other things, but I'll be damned if I haven't already beaten that point into a fucking bloody pulp by now. If you haven't gotten it yet, I'm done trying to drill it into you.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:11:33 pm by Nightcrawler »
I run a wiki.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Bah. So much for civil discussion.

Does Acmlm breed wrecking balls like you or something?

Xkeeper

• View Profile
I was a rogue.

And, ironically, I ended up taking over the place.

Go figure.

I gave up on 'civil' discussion long ago. Nice to see you joined.

(edit: spelling)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:42:27 am by Xkeeper »
I run a wiki.