News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Translation Complete for the First Adventure Game Relased on the Famicom!  (Read 48656 times)

Xkeeper

• View Profile
My God...may I ask, whose idea was it to use those great big clunky menu commands? The Japanese menues (not to mention font) are much cleaner and more elegant...I would have gladly truncated sentences just to keep that. "Move", "Ask", "Files", "Show", "Search", "Call", "Arrest", "Examine", "Items"/"Evidence", "Tap", "Take", "Review", "Dial", "Quit". You may have qualms, but trust me: the translation would only benefit from a nice, clean-looking typewriter font to match the Japanese version's style.
031446> <@tuna> There's a debate over what appears to be "literal translationness" and "making sense". Guess which one lost.

I don't care if it's a "monumental game that changed game design". I want a game that makes sense when played in English.

I've hit the wrong menu command enough times because someone thought the needed to be overly-literal and verbose. Shorter commands like you have would work perfectly -- they sure did for FDC II!

Re: 'hiding the walkthrough': GameFAQs doesn't have a "E-Mail Writer for Help" function that hides the FAQ for a few weeks for a reason. It's selfish, stupid, and pointless. By making me jump through several hoops (I do not like opening Outlook Express, sending you an e-mail, and waiting a day to weeks to get help), all for a small game, when the problem could easily be solved quickly by simply looking at an FAQ someone refuses to post.

And, as a final note... I cannot stress to you how much your choice of font sucks.

I'm half-tempted to clean up some of the dialouge ("Here! It's here!" anyone? "Here." would've worked better... and many others, including removing your lolfourthwall bit in the Labyrinth)... and then release a patch.

If anyone wants a patch to 'fix' the font and menus, let me know.
I run a wiki.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Let's keep the aggressive tone down. Constructive criticism and opinion is one thing, but presented it slightly offensively to instigate retort is another.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I have every intention of assisting with the Rev B patch, though thanks for suggesting "Review".

...Yeah, the font looks better, but it's still not what I'd pick. The italics make me feel like I should be going down to the beach to get my sword and talk to the owl.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Xkeeper

• View Profile
...Yeah, the font looks better, but it's still not what I'd pick. The italics make me feel like I should be going down to the beach to get my sword and talk to the owl.
That font was used in more than just that game =P

This, then?

I think later today if I have some free time I'll try making a new font that would fit better...
I run a wiki.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Take the other font and nix the italics. Maybe add some serifs for the "typewriter" look.

As noted before by myself and others: this game is begging for Courier.

Xkeeper

• View Profile
Take the other font and nix the italics. Maybe add some serifs for the "typewriter" look.

As noted before by myself and others: this game is begging for Courier.
Nixing the italics would mean redrawing the whole font =P It only comes in an italics version.

But (again), I'll try fixing it later.
I run a wiki.

Xkeeper

• View Profile
On second thought, I'll take you up on that offer for the script inserter.
I run a wiki.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I meant I'll be assisting with the actual translation...

I'm not perfect, either, but at least I know what looks and sounds good in English.

Lilinda

• View Profile
I have every intention of assisting with the Rev B patch, though thanks for suggesting "Review".

Link's Awakining?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
Man, everything looks better with the KitsuneFont. Use that!
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Link's Awakining?

Funny thing, too. The two Oracle games used practically the same engine as Link's Awakening, but instead of the original italic font, they used a regular straight font.

Italics look kludgy on low-res displays. Too many jaggies.

Xkeeper

• View Profile

A few minutes in MS Paint (to print out the entire alphabet) and YY-CHR (to draw them by hand into the ROM, fixing a few of them like V and such to not look like ass) and you get this.

My eyes feel better already, and I'm not quite done yet!
I run a wiki.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I think you're officially part of the project now. ^_^

Xkeeper

• View Profile
So, again... where's the script inserter? =P
I run a wiki.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I...don't...have it. ^_^

I'm not part of the project, but if DvD ever shows back up, I'll definitely recommend he use your font.

...Just one nit-picky suggestion, though. The "M" looks a little too much like an "H".

Try this instead.

[attachment deleted by admin]

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
On second thought, I'll take you up on that offer for the script inserter.

I think you're officially part of the project now. ^_^

Ryusui,

How dare you! >:( When did this become your project?
I'm not trying to steal your work on Sylvanian Families 1 and pass it off as my own!
If Rev. B is ever released we'll put in a font that everyone likes; I don't care what font we use, but everyone else seems to think it is SO important that I'm tired of listening to it.  If you want to work WITH us on making a Rev. B, fine.  But, don't encourage others to steal our work.

Xkeeper,

Why are you attacking our project?  What did we do to you?  You have trouble that I didn't release the walkthrough immediately?  You don't like the font or the menus?  Then either WAIT FOR REV B or DON'T PLAY THE GAME!  Instead of stealing our work, why don't you work on translating a different game?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:05:33 am by DvD »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I never encouraged anybody. I just put in a lot of feedback and XKeeper got the wrong idea. I never said I was actually part of the project, but XKeeper sure seemed to think so...didn't realize it until he/she asked me for the script inserter the second time. >_<# (That "you're part of the project" comment was just my way of saying "I'm sure DvD will appreciate the font".)

Doesn't change the fact that XKeeper's font is exactly what the translation needs, though.

As for the walkthrough issue, it doesn't really bug me, but yes, the translation is spotty enough that a lot of things aren't obvious to someone who hasn't pretty much dismantled the game from top to bottom and put it back together. It's a trap I've fallen into myself: it's never wise to assume anybody can solve your adventure just because you can. So while you don't have to put up a full walkthrough on your site, it is pretty rotten of you to have a "Walkthrough" link on you page that dumps you to a "Sorry! You'll have to finish the game on your own until enough people solve it themselves!" message instead.

Have you ever heard of InvisiClues?

You could always just post some categorized clues on your "Walkthrough" page; nothing too spoiler-tastic, but the game's already fairly non-linear...it'd make more sense simply to go the InvisiClues route.

Like this.

How do I cross the broken bridge?

-The gap is too far to jump, but it could be bridged with something long enough.
-You have two good pieces of wood on hand, but they're too short.
-Is there some way you could turn the two short pieces of wood into one long piece?
-Use the hammer and nails on the two pieces of wood, then use the makeshift bridge on the gap.

How do I get Percy to move?

-Percy is too busy birdwatching to take any notice of you.
-But if he's got nothing to watch, he might go elsewhere.
-Birds tend to fly off when startled.
-Play the Piano Recital Recording and watch what happens.

How do I kill Trogdor?

-Try using the tin of chicken grease on him.
-Try using the Trog-Sword on him.
-Try using the positron rifle on him.
-Trogdor can't be killed. Nobody told you that?

KlD

"the translation is spotty enough that a lot of things aren't obvious to someone who hasn't pretty much dismantled the game from top to bottom and put it back together."

The whole reason the game was beta tested by anyone but DvD was to make sure that someone who was unfamiliar with the game could pass it with the current script.  Radical R passed it in less than a week.  He got stuck in 2 places and the script and manual were modified acccordingly.  In addition, other beta testers didn't get stuck in the places Radical R did. 

If some things are not very obvious in the game, remember that it's the first adventure for the Famicom and they hadn't perfected the genre yet.  There may be some translation quirks, but many of the not-so-obvious issues are a part of the process of porting the game to the Famicom (a system without a keyboard) and the modifications that were done to it (the addition of the maze and reception room).

The script could have been "embellished", but then you would lose the historical nature of this game. 

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, but I'll just say this now:

Ryusui, please shut up. You took the hard work of this man, and ran it into the ground. He was completely content with his release before you got to it, and now look.
Secondly, this game is not Sylvanian Families. They are not similar styles, similar genres, nor are they on the same system, aimed at the same audience, or even should be considered similar. This is a game that is text-reliant, and for you to offer to help him re-vamp and/or re-translate a decent translation after admiting that you embellish on your Japanese is somewhat of a joke.

Xkeeper, generally it's up to the original author to release an updated font patch. If you feel the need to do so, at least get his blessings before hand. Don't offer to do it for people, since, by the way you posed it, it's as an attack against the author.

Dvd, if you are happy with your release, do -not- feel pressured to change it because of some nit-picky people. It is -your- hard work, as well as your translator's. The fact that you put so much care into keeping the translator happy should be noted. This patch is a creation of your own, and should make you happy... Screw the rest of 'em.

Xkeeper

• View Profile
The script could have been "embellished", but then you would lose the historical nature of this game.
There's a difference between people who play a game because it's "historical" and people who play a game because it's "fun".

I bothered to try this out because I like detective/mystery games (see also: FDC2). I don't care about whatever history it has.

I want a translation that makes sense. Not something taken as a literalburger.

YASU: "Search where?" (implied)
BOSS: "Here! Here it is!"
YASU: "We didn't find anything suspicious! Boss."

This... no:

BOSS: "Here."
Yasu: "There doesn't seem to be anything of interest there, boss."

Hence, again, requesting the script inserter so I can work on (and eventually, release) my own unofficial modification to this game so that it makes more than 1/20th of a cent.

--- POST-REPLY ---
Danke: There's a difference between dealing with an annoying font with overly verbose menus and simply fixing them.

If "modifying something" that someone else made is attacking them*, we'd all better stop ROM hacking because we're all attacking the original game developers!

(Note: I'm making fun of your absoloutely absurd logic. It's a fucking patch, and I'm just fixing the annoying text/lame font. And, if at all possible, fixing all the silly dialouge...)

(PS: I have other changes planned for this game, and I will release a patch later wether you like it or not. I'd rather cooperate on this than fly solo, but it's your call.

PPS: Another group of people fully support the new font and have told me to go back to them once the dialouge/font is fixed, because it sucks right now. Take that as you will.)

Edit:
* haha, I should really proof-read my posts
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:29:53 am by Xkeeper »
I run a wiki.