News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Translation Complete for the First Adventure Game Relased on the Famicom!  (Read 48696 times)

RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: DvD

After years of work it's finally done!
Now all of the Enix NES games can be played in English.

FYI: This is the first adventure game released on the Famicom. Yuji Horii ported this, his successful NEC PC-8801 game, to the Famicom to determine whether the Famicom action game crowd would take to an adventure game. The game did quite well. Because of this, Horii was able to release the game he really wanted to make for the Famicom, the first Japanese console RPG: Dragon Quest.

Being the first, it's not the best but it had a great impact on the Japanese video community.  It even inspired Hideo Kojima to want to make video games.

Download the patch from DvD Translations or here.

I have also made a complete walkthrough for the game which I will be releasing after a few people actually try to pass the game without using the walkthrough!

Relevant Link: (http://www.geocities.com/dvdtranslations/)

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
Two complaints:

One, GAH GEOSHITTIES! ;_; Your site is teh ded!

Two, uh, the news item doesn't really say what game this is. ^^;; It's The PORTOPIA Serial Murder Case, for those who don't want to bother clicking on the local patch link. ;P
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

tz

It's wonderful that you have translated this game... but did you really have to use that font?

I feel like I am the only person who thinks the Dragon Warrior font is incredibly hideous. :(

Guadozoku

• View Profile
Don't want to nitpick, but isn't the official romanization "Port Pier?"

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I thought the same thing...but it sounds like the romaji "Portopia" actually appear in the game, which had them confused for a while. As it happens, there was a "Portopia Expo" back in the 80's...

I haven't tried it yet, but I grabbed the patch, the ROM and a more recent NES emu last night...nothing like a good serial murder mystery. ^_^
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
Sorry about Geocities being dead, just get the patch locally for now. :( Check out my site later when no one is interested in it anymore.

Oops, no title in the news post.  Oh well.  The title of the game is in on the screenshot, though.  :-\

No, it really is Portopia, not Port Pier.  shiroi & I thought it was Port Pier for the longest time too, but I did some on-line research of the name when I found that a Portopia hotel existed in Japan.  It turns out PORTOPIA was an Expo held in 1983 (the year the game was first released on the PC-8801) on Kobe Port Island.  They have one every 10 years in the region.  Anyway, the official Square-Enix link for the iPhone version is http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mobile/portopia.html... not portpier.html.

No, I don't think the Dragon Warrior font is great either but I wanted to pick the font that Enix would have most likely used if they released the game in the US.

It works best in FCE Ultra 0.94, version 0.98 works fine except that it often messes up the names of it's savestate files which is a pain.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I'm a little ways in...the translation feels a bit, um, rushed, to put it politely.

"Here! It's here!"
"We didn't find any suspicious places."

Try this.

"Look there!"
"I don't see anything out of the ordinary..."

A couple of reactions I got also seemed a bit nonsensical...I honestly thought I had misapplied the patch at first.

I really hope we get that mobile phone version in the U.S., BTW...it could happen. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:42:21 pm by Ryusui »

Kitsune Sniper

• View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
It works best in FCE Ultra 0.94, version 0.98 works fine except that it often messes up the names of it's savestate files which is a pain.

Not if you h4x0r the source.

The CRC tagging is a total pain in the ass. I convinced Xod to tell me how to kill that option, and eventually remove it altogether from subsequent versions. ^^;
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
>Ryusui
> I'm a little ways in...the translation feels a bit, um, rushed, to put it politely.

shiroi translated the script to the best of her abilities without context.  The first script had many issues with it.
I then spent many months determining the context for all the strings in the game so we could check if they made sense.  I then spent many more months editing it all so that all the lines made sense and the story in general made sense.  Throughout this shiroi had to approve the edits because I don't speak Japanese, only katakana, and she wanted all the lines to be as close to the japanese as possible.

I admit there are still lines that sound somewhat strange; I'm sorry.   But we brought the script to a point wher all the lines made sense to us.  I made sure that before releasing the patch beta testors played it and were able to pass it without being confused by the story.  There may be better translators out there (shiroi has retired) but no one else volunteered to do the work.  If you speak Japanese, know you could do a better job editing the script, and are willing to do it, send me an e-mail dvdtranslations at yahoo dot com and we'll make a Rev B, otherwise please be understanding.

But thanks for the feedback, somewhat negative feeback is better than no feedback.  :(

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Throughout this shiroi had to approve the edits because I don't speak Japanese, only katakana, and she wanted all the lines to be as close to the japanese as possible.

Well, there's your problem right there. ^_^

Here's a good example: watch the dub of Overman King Gainer. I don't care if you buy the DVD or YouTube it or whatever...just watch a few eps and tell me your impressions. It's a cosmic irony that Tony Oliver, the man behind the infamous Samurai Pizza Cats adlib, is responsible for this: the script is so freakin' literal that it's a wonder they could get anybody to recite their lines with a straight face...or worse, without throwing the script into the nearest garbage can and saying "What is this @#$%?".

It's an unfortunate fact that literal translations do not sound natural, and people who attempt to "stay faithful to the Japanese version" by trying to retain every single literal meaning will succeed only in killing the most important part about the original version: that it was meant to be enjoyed by its target audience.

I'll probably be vilified for this by somebody, but in my translation of Sylvanian Families, I dare say that about 90% of my English script is drastic embellishment and 10% is pure original, throwing out the Japanese script entirely. I'm trying my best to make this a fun game and capture something of a cute, happy but not too saccharine spirit; unfortunately, there's not much spirit at all in the original dialogue. There's some humor and subtle jokes I've added to the story; nothing out-of-character (not obviously, anyway), but enough extra script material to fill gaps left by the original (for instance, you find Emma's frying pan in the cave for no apparent reason; Gromwell's tale of his adventure in the cave, which is originally how you know where to find the frying pan, now mentions an encounter with a "ghostly apparition" that happens to be a sleepwalking Emma depositing her precious utensil in a treasure chest before going back to bed). Is my script accurate? Yes, in that it includes most of the original material in some form. Is it exactly the same one as the original? No, and I would have to say, it's for the better.

Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken, thankfully, would not require such drastic measures taken: just a fair bit of sprucing up ("lazily extorting money"?). I've still got a fair bit of work to do on Sylvanian Families 1, but once I'm done (or bored again ^_^;), I'll see what I can do. I'll need both the original script and the translation...and to know any restrictions or quirks I'll need to abide by. How much free space in the expanded ROM do I have to work with?

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
There's a ton of free space left in the expanded ROM.  I basically doubled the size of the script but tripled the area the script can reside in.  :)  I can easily get you a specific byte count if you'd like.  And I'm barely utilizing the compression which I could add in the mix too if necessary.  But if the script was increased enough to need to use the compression, I think it'd be too wordy anyway! :P  If you want to, email me, and I can reply with the script in a shift-jis format.  It contains the original on the left with the translation on the right and the context above; I edit it in JWPCE on a fairly wide screen.  I wrote a custom script inserter that can insert the script completely automatically, so changes are a piece of cake.  Anyone who sees the script will know how much time I put into this thing trying to make it as good as I could with what I had.

I never wanted to release more than one version, but if it can be improved dramatically I'll release a rev B.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Another thing I should probably do first: finish the game from beginning to end. ^_^;

Lilinda

• View Profile
Throughout this shiroi had to approve the edits because I don't speak Japanese, only katakana, and she wanted all the lines to be as close to the japanese as possible.

Well, there's your problem right there. ^_^

Here's a good example: watch the dub of Overman King Gainer. I don't care if you buy the DVD or YouTube it or whatever...just watch a few eps and tell me your impressions. It's a cosmic irony that Tony Oliver, the man behind the infamous Samurai Pizza Cats adlib, is responsible for this: the script is so freakin' literal that it's a wonder they could get anybody to recite their lines with a straight face...or worse, without throwing the script into the nearest garbage can and saying "What is this @#$%?".

It's an unfortunate fact that literal translations do not sound natural, and people who attempt to "stay faithful to the Japanese version" by trying to retain every single literal meaning will succeed only in killing the most important part about the original version: that it was meant to be enjoyed by its target audience.

I'll probably be vilified for this by somebody, but in my translation of Sylvanian Families, I dare say that about 90% of my English script is drastic embellishment and 10% is pure original, throwing out the Japanese script entirely. I'm trying my best to make this a fun game and capture something of a cute, happy but not too saccharine spirit; unfortunately, there's not much spirit at all in the original dialogue. There's some humor and subtle jokes I've added to the story; nothing out-of-character (not obviously, anyway), but enough extra script material to fill gaps left by the original (for instance, you find Emma's frying pan in the cave for no apparent reason; Gromwell's tale of his adventure in the cave, which is originally how you know where to find the frying pan, now mentions an encounter with a "ghostly apparition" that happens to be a sleepwalking Emma depositing her precious utensil in a treasure chest before going back to bed). Is my script accurate? Yes, in that it includes most of the original material in some form. Is it exactly the same one as the original? No, and I would have to say, it's for the better.

Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken, thankfully, would not require such drastic measures taken: just a fair bit of sprucing up ("lazily extorting money"?). I've still got a fair bit of work to do on Sylvanian Families 1, but once I'm done (or bored again ^_^;), I'll see what I can do. I'll need both the original script and the translation...and to know any restrictions or quirks I'll need to abide by. How much free space in the expanded ROM do I have to work with?

So, basically you're just making stuff up as you go along, adding and removing at your own whim?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
No. I make up stuff where appropriate and remove only the stuff that would sound gruesomely, unnaturally saccharine in English. And most of the latter I just reword to keep the meaning.

Take this, for example. Talk to Prunella in one house and in the original, she makes an inane comment about how beautiful the sky is. Hardly worth walking into the house for. This might be standard villager banter in any other RPG, but Sylvania is one village (and its forest surroundings), and besides, we've already got somebody waxing poetic about the sky. So instead, she comments about how Kenneth is always standing around in the Flower Garden looking at the sky instead of doing something productive, but she can "hardly blame him" for doing so. You get the same amount of information and maybe a little more entertainment.

(I suppose I made the Furbanks adults a bit eccentric in my version...there's another reference to someone asking Kenneth to do something, but mentioning that they were probably still cloud-gazing. And Emma is described by Rose as "going a little crazy" when she learns that Rose is using her flowers to make jam. Once you've completed her sidequest, she bequeaths the Country Flower Shop to you as a dramatic gesture of thanks only to remember she's not nearly old enough to start doing that kind of thing, and there are a few other odd references to obsessive behavior and memory lapses. Hmm. I'm not sure whether to tone them down or make them more consistent...)

One thoroughly oddball thing I discovered, BTW, is that there are some questions in the Sylvanian Quiz that don't have answers given in the game. Absolutely none of the dialogue tells you that the stone on an island out in the middle of the lake is called Apple Rock (although it does appear on the map), and nothing tells you that Katrina's hobby is dancing. I did, however, change a couple of questions entirely: these originally had mostly to do with the silly little prefixes appended to item and location names. One of them now asks who caught the 35cm fish on the ranking board (Douglas); another asks how long it takes Sebastian's oven to bake bread (30 seconds).

I try to be faithful to the original, but it's so dry. Ironically, my influences are probably more Animal Crossing than anything. Except my Sylvanians won't rob you blind, thrust a piece of crap into your hands and call it a "trade". And Taylor Timbertop would kick Tom Nook's ass. ^_^

Lilinda

• View Profile
I see... makes far more sense now. I apologize for my comment.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Kitsune Sniper

• View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
So, basically you're just making stuff up as you go along, adding and removing at your own whim?

No, that's what I'm doing with Samurai Pizza Cats. :P

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
No, I don't think the Dragon Warrior font is great either but I wanted to pick the font that Enix would have most likely used if they released the game in the US.

That's a Nintendo font, boy. :) Nintendo did the translation of Dragon Warrior I, not Enix. You probably would have been better off going with something that looked slightly Courierish or Times New Romanish. Something slightly typewritery.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
However, speaking as a DW freak, I think it looks good. :D

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
That's a Nintendo font, boy. :) Nintendo did the translation of Dragon Warrior I, not Enix. You probably would have been better off going with something that looked slightly Courierish or Times New Romanish. Something slightly typewritery.

Courier...typewriter-y...I like that idea. You should consider it for Rev B. It'd sure fit nicely with the title screen, where the title is "typed" on screen complete with sound effects...

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
@NC: What was the reason the images don't show up in the corresponding thread?
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P