News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Maten Douji Translation Released  (Read 7871 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Maten Douji Translation Released
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:17:49 pm »

Update By: Pennywise

Today I have released a translation for Maten Douji. I am extremely satisfied with how the hacking turned out for this project and I implore all of you to spend an afternoon to enjoy this wonderful game splendidly hacked by me and beautifully translated by Eien ni Hen.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/)

Validus

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Maten Douji Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 02:29:45 am »
amazing@! thank you for your hard work! I will play the HELL out of this in love for the NES games we never got!

bless you are a god among hackers

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:47:18 am »
Congratulations on the release!
Homepage of Gil Galad || New Forum

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ”

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:14:07 am »
amazing@! thank you for your hard work! I will play the HELL out of this in love for the NES games we never got!

bless you are a god among hackers
This game did get released in the US, but according to Pennywise, it was a little censored. It was called Conquest of the Crystal Palace.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

ded302

• View Profile
    • Earthtale Studios
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 01:50:53 pm »
Good job on another completed translation.
Completed projects are Bloody Warriors and Shinsenden.

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 12:32:48 am »
I hope everyone enjoys this translation. Pennywise did a great job on the hacking.  :)

Like KingMike said, this game was previously released as Conquest of the Crystal Palace in the US. The story was completed changed and some stuff in the game censored. IIRC some of the graphics in the Realm of Hungry Ghosts (level 3, I believe) were changed in the US version, and they look a lot creepier in the original.

Personally I remember the US release (Crystal Palace) vividly from my childhood. I remember being really curious about what the funny-looking symbols on the screen meant. It was the first time I had ever seen kanji.  :laugh:
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 02:16:26 pm »
This is perfect timing because I was planning on playing the Japanese version of this game. So, yeah... cool.

I always wondered why the NSF has all those extra tracks...

edit: this is embarrassing but...

As a kid I was so creeped out by the graphics of level three that I thought demons could come through the game and attack me. I threw it in the garbage...
...which sucks because apparently it's a rare cart.

Anyway, there it is, my embarrassing story.

I can't even imagine how those graphics could be more creepy, though. Even today I have a little bit of vestigal fear from that childhood experience. And when I listen to the NSF I still skip the music track for that level.

But it's a really cool game! It seems somewhat unfinished or rushed for release, which is a shame, because it has potential.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:36:17 pm by curses »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 05:02:03 pm »
Funny you should mention that the game was rushed or somewhat unfinished because there are several strings of text that appear to be unused. I did a little digging, but didn't find any evidence of the code using them and since they weren't present in Crystal Palace, I'm assuming they aren't used. I can think of two possibilities as to why they are unused and one has to do with the previously mentioned time issue. The other is stripping down the text to match the style of the game, which I'm assuming was inspired by arcade games of time. The "CREDIT" on the title screen tells me this

Comparison

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:16:27 pm by Pennywise »

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »
I tried using a hex editor to expand the rom. The readme was a bit hard to understand, but my best interpretation of it was to insert 131072 bytes (20000 hex) at 1c010. All 00s. The file came out to 393232 bytes. I applied the patch, but the game doesn't work.

I am still trying to get this to work though.

edit: I got it to work using nFlate.

Thank you for a great translation!

edit #2: I played it and enjoyed it. Seemed easier. And level three seemed less disturbing actually.

So now the next step is to find out if there is a point to the moon mirror, and to see if there is a point to playing the second quest.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:05:49 pm by curses »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 10:02:30 pm »
The moon mirror just wipes out every enemy on the screen and can only be used once in a while.

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 01:57:58 am »
Wow, congrats on the release!  :beer:

This will do in my Tuesday afternoon, NES gaming marathon.  :)