News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard released  (Read 33871 times)

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard released
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2011, 02:45:09 am »
KENDO, KENDO, KENDO, COYOTE!~

Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2011, 02:52:14 am »
I like swords.

Quite a twist, eh? Betcha didn't see that one coming.

<---THIS IS SARCASM MY AVATAR IS RIGHT THERE
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 03:01:39 am »
welcome to corneria!
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 03:04:26 am »

TimeSpaceMage

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2011, 03:38:11 am »
This is the song that neverrrr ennnnds...
Tinker: "You're going to go where no one has gone before!"
Hero: "We've actually been there before."
Tinker: "Oh. Well, you've never been shot out of a turret, with only a minimal chance of survival!"
Hero: "That's true."

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2011, 05:18:43 am »
I'm only posting these two more...I didn't actually end up working on the spoof version too much. Only when the crazies neeeded to be kept at bay...

I really haven't ever had a high opinion of how Ghastra ran his Empire. You do not give the kind of supreme executive power that Kefka has to somebody who dresses like that and goes around telling people exactly how he's going to murder them with the glibness you or I might use to order a sandwich. That's just not good Emperorship.

Bit of a modern ring to it over the "drug dealer" patch, I think. Laughter is the best medicine.

This game (the actual game, that is, not the spoof version I have up here) is ridiculous. I remember when my nephew and I were playing it a while back, and we got to the part where Relm distracts Ultros. Each progressively more ridiculous moment had him repeating the refrain "You have got to be kidding me!!"

Sabin is a riot. Gau (in his STORY scenes) doesn't disappoint either. Even Cyan has a funny scene. Locke and Edgar are snarking back and forth here and there. Setzer's character is utterly ridiculous until the second half of the game (barring a certain optional hard-to-get-to cutscene), and of all people, the character with the most depressing story development (also optional, you hope) also has the most uplifting. It's just...it's insane. It's ludicrous. And somehow Dancing Mad makes it all seem so freakin' awesome.

So there's my thoughts on the matter.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:13:08 pm by Spooniest »

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2011, 04:57:17 pm »
Have you ever played the Awful Fantasy III patch? That should give you some humorous inspiration.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2011, 05:33:34 pm »
I am NOT going to keep working on it. It was just for a laugh. Besides, as you can see from the screenshots, my sense of humor kind of blows.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of the ACTUAL hack I'll be releasing, Final Fantasy VI - Stand Guard.

As you can see, there was a sense of humor present in the production of the actual patch. I suppose if somebody wanted to spoof my work, they could go ahead, but even when I'm playing music, I find collaboration a bit of a puzzling process. I have kind of a domineering personality (read: I'm an egomaniac), and it's difficult for me to work in a group, which is why Stand Guard was done 90% by me alone. As stated above, vivify93 did the custom font, which is AWESOME, by the way, and Lenophis in particular was most helpful in the early stages.

I'll be submitting the current version, version 3.0, on October 1st. Watch out now!  ;D

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2011, 05:50:28 pm »
I'd like to thank vivify93 for making my font look like something other than dogcrap. Nice, nice job, dude.
Aw, it's nothin'! The font you used originally was really nice and stylized; I kept that for the most part. I just lengthened it and smoothed out or slimmed some of the letters / punctuation.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:03 pm »
Hm. But Cyan ends up killing a lot of stuff. Woolsey even translated his level 1 attack as "Dispatch." I think "Kendo" has more a connotation of the popular sport of fighting with wooden swords and armor, if I'm not mistaken?

That's what it turned into. And Iaidou is also a sport now, too. Like in that video you linked to. I've actually taken two Iaidou lessons while I was living in Japan.

I was simply providing an alternative, since you sounded like you may want one. You could also call it "Iaijutsu", to be more succinct as far as what it is ("Iaidou" is the name of the martial art, whereas Iaijutsu are the techniques).

I personally think Iaido is fine, though.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2011, 01:56:28 am »
UPDATE: After being informed that the 1.0 version of the rom is kind of the standard for hacks of this game,
I wonder how that decision came along, considering the 1.0 Sketch bug is a well-known serious bug.
Was it because, I imagine, the 1.0 ROM much more commonly distributed in the pre-GoodSNES days of searching for ROMs on random geocities sites? :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2011, 04:06:17 am »
I wonder how that decision came along, considering the 1.0 Sketch bug is a well-known serious bug.
Was it because, I imagine, the 1.0 ROM much more commonly distributed in the pre-GoodSNES days of searching for ROMs on random geocities sites? :P
Actually, assassin17 made a better fix for the Sketch bug - at least, it's more well-optimized than v1.1's official fix. It's found under the "hosted patches" section. I'm not sure how long it's been in existence though.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:02:58 am by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

bobonga

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2011, 09:42:36 am »

Ugh, you play the game with stretched graphics?

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2011, 11:13:58 am »
I do, but you don't have to, if you don't like. I just like it to be big!  :laugh:

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2011, 02:00:58 pm »
Along with the fix, a bunch of code gets shifted around, which makes it harder to work with on some occasions. Since it was only code in the battle bank that gets shifted, it can be seen as a moot point. *shrug*

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2011, 02:36:21 pm »
I do, but you don't have to, if you don't like. I just like it to be big!  :laugh:

Projector? ;)
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2011, 04:39:02 am »
Nah, it's a widescreen LCD...it has something called a "comb filter" and I don't know what that is. But it makes things big. I done told y'all I like it to be big.

Along with the fix, a bunch of code gets shifted around, which makes it harder to work with on some occasions. Since it was only code in the battle bank that gets shifted, it can be seen as a moot point. *shrug*

I'm too paranoid to even want to try and think about what I'm doing to the game's code. The philosophy that went into this was "try not to screw up the code, if at all possible." I wanted the game to be playable when transferred to a copy cartridge and plugged into the real hardware, because as good as SNES9x and ZSNES are, nothing can trump the SNES itself.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:33:42 pm by Spooniest »

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2011, 05:38:09 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking if you had a projector, I was recommending you get one so that you can have it big and not stretched to hell. Just a thought.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2011, 05:40:16 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking if you had a projector, I was recommending you get one so that you can have it big and not stretched to hell. Just a thought.

Hahahaha I just got the LCD! No, I'm happy with my purchase, actually. Many people don't like stretched 16:9 but I'm fine with it for some reason. I might be a mutant.

Edit: A mutant...turtle.

Here's another example of the sense of humor that went into making this patch. Note: I've purposely combined two screenshots for the sake of those who don't get the joke. The screen from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles DOES NOT actually appear during the game, because not only don't I possess (prossess?) such a skill, but it also would be going a bit too far, don't you think?

I laughed for days, and it still works as dialog. We spent so many years enjoying the hell out of games with such blind idiot translations. Good times!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:43:01 am by Spooniest »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2011, 04:10:09 pm »
I honestly can’t even read the phrase without thinking of this.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger