News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard released  (Read 33861 times)

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard released
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2011, 12:28:08 am »
The RNG I implemented with that hack is sorely lacking, unfortunately. I'll have to update it at some point. :'(

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 10:25:43 am »
Here are some screen grabs of all three versions of the opening to the game, compared side-by-side with Stand Guard. This is the old font.

The versions are:
Final Fantasy IIIus in the upper-left,
Sky Render in the upper-right,
The GBA in the lower-left, and
My version (Stand Guard) in the lower-right.[/b]

The opening screen of the game. You should immediately notice two things, one being that I've sacrificed a line to add a voice to the opening narration, that of Banan, and two, that I've spelled Banan's name similarly to the RPGone version, but with fewer letters. I wanted it to look exotic, as I always felt "Bannon" was a bit too Anglo-Saxon sounding for my taste. In addition, losing a whole line meant I was purposely limiting myself to three lines to get the story across. One more thing: I've never held with this "War of the Magi" stuff. The Magi were, according to Christian text, kings who made a journey to lay gifts at the feet of the Messiah. There is no record of them ever making war or casting any kind of magic. "Magi" and "Magic" aren't false cognates, but aren't that closely related.

Here's the thing about ancient legendary wars that nobody is actually sure really happened: only highly studied scholars would have any opinion of the actual date. EXACTLY 1,000 years seemed to me a ridiculous number. Exactly 1,000 years ago today, somebody probably fed their cow and went to bed. I don't know. I guess I could look it up. The point is, I felt it added to the mystery and tension for it to be an unnamed number of years. Also, machinery has no will of its own, and can't "reign" over anything. It's also not alive, and so cannot be "revived."

Gosh, so many words. There was a very simple reason I cut this down: pacing. I don't want the player to know too much of what's going on just yet; besides, they're about to get their first look at Kefka, and I don't want them to be distracted from it by this wall of text. It breaks the tension, and just isn't scary to have all this droning on and on about everything that's happeing. All that the player needed to know, in my view, was that magic was happening and science had something to do with it. You can tell from the music that it's bad news.

Winston Churchill wrote "Broadly speaking, the short words are the best, and the old words best of all." It was for this reason that I felt the shortened, oft-repeated version of George Santayana's quote "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" lent a thematic statement to the introduction that is not present in any previous version. Kind of telling the player, "This is a history. There is a lesson. Pay attention."

We've played this game six ways from Sunday, so it's easy for us to forget that some people in the future will be playing it for the first time. I'm just trying to provide them with a version that has more power. Seriously.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:00:13 am by Spooniest »
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 02:15:14 pm »
Just my two cents: "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it" is too much of a cliche these days for me to not cry foul.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 11:27:53 pm »
Just my two cents: "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it" is too much of a cliche these days for me to not cry foul.

You are clearly a mutant zombie pirate robot from Mars who has no idea what our strange Earth ways must mean. Allow me to show you our Majestik Moose, in Sveden.

But that's just like, your opinion, man.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 12:45:09 am »
Technology wasn't the way of life in the old times, it's a new phenomenon that has emerged by the ingenuity of man.

I would say something more like.

"Over the eons, the ways of the past have been forgotten.
   In time, new tools have developed, such as Steel,
    Gunpowder, and Steam Engines based on the intellect of man
      rather than the power of the soul, and peace reigns once again."

EDIT: I see you already used eons in your first page, perhaps

"As the tides of time eb and flow, the ways of the past have been forgotten." or to be shorter "as time ebs and flows, the truth of the past has fallen into obscurity and myth"

you could also replace my last line with "... and tranquility returns to mankind"

It might also be useful to establish that magic was prevalent, common, and the power of the day in the past before declaring that it vanished.

you could also end with something like

"Could the ambition of man drive it extinction once and for all?"

Most of what I've written is too long, but feel free to use and condense it for your own evil purposes if you find any of it worth a damn ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:53:15 am by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 08:36:44 am »
That's some interesting poetry. I know "interesting" seems like a weak compliment, but that's what I say when I find art...I dunno, interesting. So...

My qualms are that it doesn't sound like it's what Bannon would say, and it's a bit too long. Bytes are expensive in a 16-bit era rom. I was trying to conserve.

Interesting.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 12:02:58 pm »
Yes it certainly is too long, I was trying to throw out more that could be cut down to less. In time I may be able to distil it more.

As for the tone, I used the original as a reference. I figured it should give a reference point, be thematic, and fit into the dramatic intro ahead. I wouldn't put it past banon, and this will be the first that gamers meet his character, but I'll try to reword.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 12:07:29 pm »
Well, don't get too up in arms about it, dude...I've kind of finished working on it for now. I'm honestly just interested in what you think of the patch as it stands.

But FF3usME v6.70 has a very easy to use dialog editor, so you don't have to do any of that (to me, at least) insanely hard-to-figure-out hex editing. You should give it a try, if you think you've got the time. It's got some interface issues, especially when renaming items, monsters and the like. But it is a very extensive program.

Edit: I've never really bothered to explain this to anyone, but does anybody get the reference of the patch's title? It's what Bartz (or Butz, or whatever) used to say when a boss fight was about to happen in Final Fantasy 5's fan translation, available here on RHDN.

The general gist of all this is that I've played a lot more Final Fantasy than is probably healthy for a human being, and you guys are getting to see the results, rather not unlike A Clockwork Orange, except without all the nausea...depending on your opinion of my writing, I guess... :D

Hard mode isn't gone...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:41:42 am by Spooniest »

TimeSpaceMage

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2011, 08:48:03 am »
I really like the 3rd screen of the intro... nice ominous build there.
Tinker: "You're going to go where no one has gone before!"
Hero: "We've actually been there before."
Tinker: "Oh. Well, you've never been shot out of a turret, with only a minimal chance of survival!"
Hero: "That's true."

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2011, 12:40:20 pm »
A bit of furthermore. To quote Weezer, "I know that you don't care but I want you to know." This is still the old font.

The versions are:
Final Fantasy IIIus in the upper-left,
Sky Render in the upper-right,
The GBA in the lower-left, and
My version (Stand Guard) in the lower-right.

I wanted to lend a bit of military procedure to this line, and make it clear that they're not up on this windy precipice for their health, they're doing recon.

Once again, I'm not giving an exact timeframe for the War, and I'm also being a bit less patronizing to the player. Someone would just call it "the War," and the person they were speaking to would know what they meant. And if you notice, the way text is laid out is taken from Final Fantasy 7, with the nametag left justified and the dialog indented.

Woolsey actually ran roughshod over this bit of dialog, and the pacing suffered a bit. Biggs' line here is a bit of a broad stroke on my part, asking a question of Wedge without breaking the formal military tone too much.

I liked Woolsey's line about the "urgency of our orders," as it makes the point clearer that these guys are on a pretty top-secret mission. But I wanted to (once again) give these guys the tone of military officers. My brother (who served in the USAF) said that it's not unusual for officers to refer to their intelligence reports as "intel," but it's also a bit what you might call "colorful."

I felt that this line was the beginning of the story for Terra, and the story begins with her being referred to not as a person, but as what she is being used for. I didn't like it that she was called a "witch." I know some Wiccans, and they don't make fire appear out of nowhere without matches and firewood. Also, Woolsey refers to her as a "sorcerer," which as we all know is just plain wrong. But I wanted to dehumanize her (and by extension, the player), to feed into the characterization of Terra as something "not human."

And here we run into the first bit of censorship that has been dealt with. Nintendo just doesn't like you to think about the fact that you spend most of your time in their games running around killing things, then taking their money and buying weapons. Anyway, all that aside, I felt like giving exact figures for numbers was just silly and kind of patronizing. And now we have a bit of characterization for the people she killed..."The 101st Armored Corps." Banan mentions them later, too. One more thing: The GBA version makes Biggs sound like kind of a redneck. I thought it was a good idea to dump that.

I mentioned this a while ago. This line makes it absolutely clear what Terra is at the beginning of the game: a slave. The music that plays during the march ("Death on the Snowfield," I think?) gives you this feeling, of what it's like to be led where you do not want to go to do something you do not want to do. To be powerless.

The last line of the intro was more or less the same in all the versions.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:02:36 am by Spooniest »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »
Spooniest, you're making me want to play your hack. I really, really love your dialogue - simplistic yet effective.

I think I'll take a stab at this after I finish Lunar 2.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »
I think I'll take a stab at this after I finish Lunar 2.

Don't quit the game after you beat Zophar. ;)

If anybody needs a laugh, here's something I did to keep my spirits up while hunting through text boxes for typos and dealing with numb mouse fingers from the Monster Name editor.

Ok, that's just stupid on the face of it. It gets worse.

Yeah, I misspelled chocolate. Hm. Wonder why I didn't bother fixing that...

Girls don't have boobs. Women have boobs. Why does every other version insist on calling Terra a girl? She has boobs, she's a woman.

So, if you had doubts about my sanity before...am I banned? I'm banned, aren't I?

Dammit! ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:05:55 am by Spooniest »

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 05:04:15 pm »
Heh, reminds of this parody patch of the game that made Locke a drug dealer and Edgar a sex toy designer. It was kind of funny, but riddled with typos and poor grammar.

TimeSpaceMage

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 05:11:24 pm »
Reminds me of Tzepish's "FF5 Spoof" that had me laughing my ass off.
Tinker: "You're going to go where no one has gone before!"
Hero: "We've actually been there before."
Tinker: "Oh. Well, you've never been shot out of a turret, with only a minimal chance of survival!"
Hero: "That's true."

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 08:22:22 am »
Lunar 2 and its epilogue have been finished; time for Stand Guard. I chose the hard patch.

I loved the introduction, to start things off - the tone was very different, very solemn traversing to Narshe after being called a slave to two strange men.

Three things visually strike me after that, however. First of all is the dialogue font... It's very, very tiny. In fact, it looks like it's meant as an 8x8 font in a GBA game. It's not very pleasant to look at, but if it was lengthened by just one pixel then it would be a lot nicer.

Next is the menu font, or its lack of change. The mini-rendition of Chicago looked wonderful in Final Fantasy III, but it looks out of place here. A thinner font here would probably be better off to match it.

The last thing is the spelling of Eidolon in the magic menu. Yeah, yeah, space constraints and whatnot, but if you implemented a thinner font for the menu you could squish the "idolon" part together in five tiles with it still looking pretty decent.

...I must confess, I implemented these to my own copy of Stand Guard. Here are some screen shots.

New 8x8 font and "Eidolon" in squishy tiles.

Modified 12x12 (?) font.

Spooniest, if you like these changes I can provide a patch.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 08:48:07 am »
Please reflow the text, guys. Not doing so just looks amateurish.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 05:30:29 pm »
Heh, "Iado"? This isn't WotL. :D

Actually, it would be kind of interesting to implement that skill into FF6. It'd definitely make Cyan a bit more fun to use.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 08:21:12 pm »
"Iaido" is Japanese for "The Way of Drawing A Sword Quickly."

As with Cyan's skill #1, Fang. It seems kind of weird to make the connection, because SwdTech is anything but quick. :D But I'd rather call it something a Samurai would use as an attack ("Iaido") than something a Samurai would believe in as his way of living as a warrior ("Bushido.")

Artistic license, la la la la

By the way, there's a hidden reference to the original Final Fantasy Tactics' botched translation. I'll give my autograph to whoever posts a screenshot first.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:08:21 am by Spooniest »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 09:22:41 pm »
You could always call it Kendo (剣道), "way of the sword". It's basically one of the other methods of fighting a samurai would learn. Iaidou is more about killing an opponent before they get a chance to attack, whereas Kendou is about fighting another person with a sword.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 09:39:03 pm »
You could always call it Kendo (剣道), "way of the sword". It's basically one of the other methods of fighting a samurai would learn. Iaidou is more about killing an opponent before they get a chance to attack, whereas Kendou is about fighting another person with a sword.

~DS

Hm. But Cyan ends up killing a lot of stuff. Woolsey even translated his level 1 attack as "Dispatch." I think "Kendo" has more a connotation of the popular sport of fighting with wooden swords and armor, if I'm not mistaken?

Not that a boken couldn't kill somebody, it's just...idk, Iaido looks cool.  :-\

UPDATE: After being informed that the 1.0 version of the rom is kind of the standard for hacks of this game, I've spent 10 hours today sitting in the comfy chair rebuilding the patch (sort of) from the ground up. I actually just ported the changes over to the 1.0 version, but I had to re-learn how to edit item names so that the "Arrange" command doesn't delete them from your item list. Grrr...

Anyway, you aren't reading this to hear me bitch. Here's some screens, sans comment this time:

I'd like to thank vivify93 for making my font look like something other than dogcrap. Nice, nice job, dude.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:11:41 am by Spooniest »