News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard released  (Read 33792 times)

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard released
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 02:15:05 pm »
It is a literal translation, and in this case the “phantom” does not mean “ghost”.

幻 = something that appears to be, even though it should not; an illusion
獣 = a beast, especially fuzzy and/or four-legged creatures; a term said of a merciless, despicable person.

The earliest example of the term I could find was for the translation of the Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis Borges. My guess is that it was coined to translate “imaginary beings” in a convenient way (and the Japanese translation appears to be from the English translation...).
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 03:54:34 pm »
I like to say "Eidolon." It's a fun word. It's cute, and it rolls off the tongue, and it doesn't take up much space. But Strago does mention that they were once called "Phantom Beasts" during his exposition speech in Thamasa, after the burning house bit.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:42:33 am by Spooniest »
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 06:01:24 pm »
Well it's purely subjective, but I think Esper is such a great word for summons. I like how they called them differently among the series, "Espers" in FF6, "G-Forces" in FF8, "Aeons" in FF10, etc...
Espers are like the trademark of FF6, changing this word is a shame. Although I think the word Esper was also used in some translation of FF5, I might be wrong though.
The only problem with this is that in the Japanese games, they were always called 幻獣. Except perhaps in FF8; I've never played that one in Japanese. But in 4, 6, 9, and so on.

Mystic (something) isn't a bad idea. "Creatures" doesn't seem very good to me. Especially when King Baron goes "I hereby assign you to attack a member of the (幻獣) race."

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 06:24:15 pm »
Pretty sure there's no "member of the 幻獣 race" anywhere in the script. That particular line only says this:
バロン王「代わって幻獣討伐の任に付けい!
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 08:31:55 pm »
Pretty sure there's no "member of the 幻獣 race" anywhere in the script. That particular line only says this:
Well, there's the problem with games that have no kanji. It's all up to interpretation. I thought it was 党閥 (which would be clan or race).

Is that from like...the GBA/DS version? One with kanji, I assume?

I guess that would be him saying: "Instead, I hereby order you to defeat an Eidolon!" Makes much more sense. *dunce cap*

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 11:17:31 pm »
why's that?  just apply terii senshi's patch.
I did, and permanent fatal errors ensued. It wasn't pretty.

So don't take your dog into a battle where Rippler is cast. I said don't!!

why are you using the patch from Zophar's when the patch on the author's website (www.rpglegion.com) has been fixed since Spring 2004?

you wouldn't be the first, either.  it's like people are going out of their way to create errors.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 02:12:00 am »
why are you using the patch from Zophar's when the patch on the author's website (www.rpglegion.com) has been fixed since Spring 2004?

you wouldn't be the first, either.  it's like people are going out of their way to create errors.

The short answer is that I did not know of the patch you speak of's existence until you just said that just now, so, um...I guess I'll try it?

But seriously, a dog is like, a responsibility, man. I guess it's better to modify the dog's behavior if you can, than to forbid the dog to go to a dangerous location, but I'm getting into kind of a weird "programming immitates life immitates programming" thing...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:43:33 am by Spooniest »

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 03:29:45 pm »
good work.

i know a dog who keeps a painting of humans playing frisbee on its dining room wall.  it draws a wry chuckle from the guests before they enjoy their scotch.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
Eidolon
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 04:16:46 pm »
So... how does everybody pronounce the word "eidolon"?

The dictionary says   ahy-doh'-luhn   but my brain always wants to say   ei' do lon

Well?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 04:39:00 pm »
Eye-doh-lunn.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2011, 04:52:14 pm »
I pronounce it /aɪˈdoʊlɑn/ (maybe /aɪˈdɵlɑn/ if I’m feeling lazy), which is an acceptable permutation in English. The proper pronunciation in Greek always prompts the question “whose Greek?” which is kind of a headache.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 05:29:40 pm »
I know it's not the pronunciation that is used in the Final Fantasy IV DS version, but I'd gotten used to saying

eye'-dough-lonn

With the stress on the first syllable, and a short "o" sound. In FF4 DS, it's

eye-dough'-lunn

With the stress on the second syllable, and the second "o" schwa'd.

My opinion is that people can pronounce things however they want, because it's really, really difficult if not impossible to get someone to change their pronunciation of a word. It's difficult for me to change my own pronunciation even when I want to.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 03:32:50 am »
Well it's purely subjective, but I think Esper is such a great word for summons. I like how they called them differently among the series, "Espers" in FF6, "G-Forces" in FF8, "Aeons" in FF10, etc...
Espers are like the trademark of FF6, changing this word is a shame. Although I think the word Esper was also used in some translation of FF5, I might be wrong though.

The only problem with this is that in the Japanese games, they were always called 幻獣. Except perhaps in FF8; I've never played that one in Japanese. But in 4, 6, 9, and so on.

Mystic (something) isn't a bad idea. "Creatures" doesn't seem very good to me. Especially when King Baron goes "I hereby assign you to attack a member of the (幻獣) race."

~DS

quoted for truth, it wasn't a mainstay of FF6 at all, it was just used in the localization.

Am I the only one calling phantom beasts "Mystic Creatures" or even "Mystics" for short? I've always been puzzled about this whole "phantom" thing, since they are not lit. phantoms anyway. :huh:

I have a Japanese Art Book that has in English "Mystic Monsters" (har, I know, not exactly the most reliable source, but I digress) so Mystic Beasts wouldn't be a stretch. They always seem to be references as not human, but not stupid beats either. They're a sort of demigod/god beast of sorts that are intelligent but also many of them are somewhat animal like or function on instinct. It varies from game to game.

I don't know japanese but I've always been told the closest translation is Phantom Beast or Summoned Beast.

I know it's not the pronunciation that is used in the Final Fantasy IV DS version, but I'd gotten used to saying

eye'-dough-lonn

With the stress on the first syllable, and a short "o" sound. In FF4 DS, it's

eye-dough'-lunn

With the stress on the second syllable, and the second "o" schwa'd.

My opinion is that people can pronounce things however they want, because it's really, really difficult if not impossible to get someone to change their pronunciation of a word. It's difficult for me to change my own pronunciation even when I want to.

It's pronounced the same way in FFIV DS and FF XIII. Eidolon is becoming the defacto localization used in the United States in recent years, it has been used in

FFIX
FFXIII
FFIV DS

maybe more, who knows if that trend will continue or not. As for your attitude on how to pronounce things, everyone has a right to their opinion, but I for one would rather say something correctly than sound ignorant and uneducated. To each their own I suppose. In theory everyone saying something the same way helps everyone understand each other better. You could call cats kates, and I could call cats cots, and we'd never get anywhere.

That said, emphasis, while still important, is far less important than completely mispronouncing a word, and so in the grand scheme of things isn't a big deal. I guess it's just the "fuck it" mentality that rubs me the wrong way :D but I'm sure no one cares either way. It doesn't make the games more or less enjoyable that's for damn sure.

In any case it's cool to see someone enthusiastic about doing a hack, so more power to you.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 03:40:51 am »
I don't know japanese but I've always been told the closest translation is Phantom Beast or Summoned Beast.
These come from two different terms, 幻獣 and 召喚獣.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 03:28:37 pm »
In any case it's cool to see someone enthusiastic about doing a hack, so more power to you.

Thanks, I really enjoyed doing it, but I'd rather have been playing paid gigs, of course. :D

One thing I want to mention is that the script actually isn't heavily re-written. Mostly, Woolsey's script is pretty good. For instance, much of the "townfolk" dialog was left alone, as he got this across very well. Naturally, I would think, his focus was on what was going to be important to the gameplay first. He only had 30 days to do this. I actually ended up taking three times that long to get it all where I wanted it.

What was rewritten was often done for the sake of "feel." I wanted to convey more of a sense of urgency in the story, make it really kick the player in the gut. It all seems kind of moot now, as the fan base of the original game are now grown and pursuing ridiculous things like careers/families. I dunno where they get off being responsible upstanding citizens, lemme tell ya. ;)

Spooniest

• View Profile
Re: Stand Guard Thread
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 06:46:46 am »
Eidolon.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:46:44 am by Spooniest »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Stand Guard Thread
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 09:40:45 pm »
Misread that as
I really don't know what else to do with my first track, Final
Fantasy VI: Stand Guard.

no lie (my prescription is getting ancient)

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 11:43:35 pm »
Well this is my first one, and I have already said that I'm ready for a pounding, so I'll fire the opening salvo on myself.

- Documentation says that the rippler bug is fixed but it ain't. I applied Terii Senshi's patch, and switched the change from v2.8 to v2.9.
- Also, I've gone through and updated the monster names to (mostly) the GBA monster names.
- Celes' intro has the middle line off center slightly. This is now corrected.
- The inscription on the Statues on the mountain where the Espers are is now the GBA version
- Tina's line about the barrier that protects the gate is now the line from the GBA version about the Triad's power connecting the gate between the worlds
- vivify93 has made my ugly font not ugly. Check it.

This turned out to be a lot more complicated than I thought it would be, but I'm not giving up, at least not till Thursday, because then I have rehearsal.

I wanted to include the Czar Dragon in the Hard Patch, but I can't get it to appear. I'm using FF3usME, and no matter which monster I replace in the Formation editor, I start up the game and the regular monster appears. Hwwwhaaat--?

Here's another interesting characteristic of this program I've discovered while playtesting.

The Floating Continent is the only place where, if you save state, then enter a random battle, then load state and walk until you enter another random battle, the monster formations will change. Everywhere else in the game (I believe), if you save state, enter a random battle, load state, then enter another random battle, the formations will be the same, i.e., you will encounter the same monsters. Not so on the Floating Continent. Every time you enter a battle, the formation you fight is randomly determined.

Obviously with the exception of Ultima Weapon and the clown monsters after the halfway mark.

Does anyone know why this is? It's not exactly vital, but I've wondered about it for a long time.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:49:00 am by Spooniest »

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2011, 11:22:01 pm »
an interesting hack (if possible) would be to make encounters that random everywhere so they would be less predictable if people were savestating.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2011, 11:52:25 pm »
I did see this one, made by Lenophis, but I'm so inexperienced at modyfying computer programs that I worried there would be unforseen side effects. Plus, I have no way of knowing if the random number generator has anything to do with deciding what battle formation will appear next.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:26:27 pm by Spooniest »