News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard released  (Read 31393 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard released
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:36:05 am »

Update By: Spooniest

After two and a half months of caffiene-induced stupor and a bit of well-deserved remonstration by the RHDN Staff (who have been great, by the way), Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard is ready to go.

This is a revision of Final Fantasy VI with fans of the 1994 SNES release in mind, polishing the story without making it unrecognizable. I also made three versions of the game, one Easy (where you get nifty equipment and everything's where you think it is), one Normal (nearly identical to the original SNES release), and one Hard (where the encounter rate is maxed out, you start with terrible equipment and many of the rare items are removed).

The glory days of Square are now gone, and we may never get a decent version of the game from them, but luckily, we have the means to bring to the forefront the great work by their wonderful team of Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yoshinori Kitase, Yoshitaka Amano and Nobuo Uematsu. "Shosan!"

Special thanks goes out to Lenophis for his patient advice, and to Ted Woolsey for his original 30-day marathon translation session back in the day, without whom this would not have been possible.

Stand Guard!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/794/)

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Stand Guard released
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:12:56 pm »
Coming from someone who really wants to go back and experience this game without being in a redundant/easy random battle every minute, what's the chance of that easy patch getting a reduced encounter rate?

I appreciate the hack, it's nice to see a simple clean up to a game that direly needed it.

Just curious, did you do any name changing such as espers to phantom beast or anything?

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:22:54 pm »
I'm only a couple minutes into it, and looks like he changes Espers to Eidolons, Vicks to Biggs, and other minute stuff like that.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 04:05:24 am »
fairdenizen: It's realatively simple to change the encounter rate using FF3usME, which can be found in the Utilities Section of RHDN. It's just kind of tedious and time consuming, but not difficult to figure out how to do by any stretch of the imagination. Why don't you give it a shot?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:42:03 am by Spooniest »

oatmealpacket

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:31:37 am »
"The glory days of Square are now gone, and we may never get a decent version of the game from them, but luckily, we have the means to bring to the forefront the great work by their wonderful team of Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yoshinori Kitase, Yoshitaka Amano and Nobuo Uematsu."

Eh? I mean, I can understand if you're not a fan of recent S-E fare, but it's hard to imagine they won't bring out a remake or retranslation of FF6 at some point. Seems like half of what they do lately is try to sell slightly remade versions of 15-year-old games.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:17:58 am »
Eh? I mean, I can understand if you're not a fan of recent S-E fare, but it's hard to imagine they won't bring out a remake or retranslation of FF6 at some point. Seems like half of what they do lately is try to sell slightly remade versions of 15-year-old games.
True, but there is the word "decent" in their statement  :P
And I definitely agree with them.

fairdenizen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 11:22:32 am »
I'm only a couple minutes into it, and looks like he changes Espers to Eidolons, Vicks to Biggs, and other minute stuff like that.

damnit.

fairdenizen: It's realatively simple to change the encounter rate using FF3usME, which can be found in the Utilities Section of RHDN. It's just kind of tedious and time consuming, but not difficult to figure out how to do by any stretch of the imagination. Why don't you give it a shot?

Thank you, I'll try it.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:08:48 pm »
damnit.

Well!!

An "Esper" means "someone who has ESP." Eidolons clearly DON'T have ESP, or the one guy who says Madeline helped Ghastra find them would know she wasn't involved.

I'm sorry, I'm a writer, and writers are nuts. I'm actually not a hacker by profession. This was very simple to do with LordJ's great editor.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 01:27:13 pm »
Ironically, Sky Render decided on Eidolons too, eventually. Even though that never made it into RPGOne's FF6 retranslation (which was abandoned as FF6A fixed the errors Woolsey made that Sky had a problem with).

Hrith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 01:27:27 pm »
I'm nearly at the floating continent. I must say this hack's pretty well done, but it's still far behind the GBA version of FFVI.

I have noticed a few grammar mistakes, but so few, I'm amazed >_>

I have picked the Hard difficulty, obviously, but the game is (much) easier than the original, are you sure you did not get the IPS files wrong?

I'm not a big fan of the font, but I like what you have done to the text; for instance naming the person who is speaking.

As for the register, it's off for some characters. Kefka swearing is one thing, but I would never imagine Sabin swearing.

All in all, this is a good translation / revising, but for what the hack attempts to do, FFVI Advance has done much better.

Some name changes are extremely opinionated, and clearly do not reflect the original Japanese names nor the original English translations.

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 03:57:38 pm »
Quote from: Readme
- I was unable to fix the Rippler bug.
  Take care of your dog!

why's that?  just apply terii senshi's patch.

fairdenizen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 05:00:30 pm »
Well!!

An "Esper" means "someone who has ESP." Eidolons clearly DON'T have ESP, or the one guy who says Madeline helped Ghastra find them would know she wasn't involved.

I'm sorry, I'm a writer, and writers are nuts. I'm actually not a hacker by profession. This was very simple to do with LordJ's great editor.

I played this game when it came out and intermittently since then . To me, when I see Esper changed, it takes huge amounts of readability from it; My brain literally stops on the word and basically just says 'fuck', why would anyone change something so fundamental?

In all fairness I haven't loaded up your hack, this is coming from my view on the Sky Render patch.

You have my empathy.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 07:59:05 pm »
why's that?  just apply terii senshi's patch.

I did, and permanent fatal errors ensued. It wasn't pretty.

So don't take your dog into a battle where Rippler is cast. I said don't!!

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 08:25:51 pm »
An "Esper" means "someone who has ESP."
I'm genuinely curious how you came to this conclusion. Although, now that I've said that, I suppose a flame war will start.
* Lenophis readies the hammer

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 08:34:32 pm »
I'm genuinely curious how you came to this conclusion. Although, now that I've said that, I suppose a flame war will start.
* Lenophis readies the hammer

The second pilot for Star Trek: The Original Series, an episode entitled "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

I cite fantasy to write fantasy, God, aren't I priceless
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:48:17 pm by Spooniest »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »
The very word was coined explicitly to refer to someone with ESP :P

Woolsey’s reasons for choosing it had to do with space issues. “Phantom beast” is such a bullshit thing to say 1000 times anyway.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 10:16:00 pm »
The very word was coined explicitly to refer to someone with ESP :P

Woolsey’s reasons for choosing it had to do with space issues. “Phantom beast” is such a bullshit thing to say 1000 times anyway.
I still say there's a better word out there than "Eidolon". But that's just me.

Also, I've seen "esper" used commonly in Japanese for the same thing. Someone who has ESP. For instance, one of the five rangers in Dekaranger (a Super Sentai series) is an Esper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esper

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 12:45:08 am »
Don't quote me on this, but apparently "espering" is something a stone does. I don't know how it does it or why though.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 01:19:30 pm »
I'm only a couple minutes into it, and looks like he changes Espers to Eidolons, Vicks to Biggs, and other minute stuff li
Well it's purely subjective, but I think Esper is such a great word for summons. I like how they called them differently among the series, "Espers" in FF6, "G-Forces" in FF8, "Aeons" in FF10, etc...
Espers are like the trademark of FF6, changing this word is a shame. Although I think the word Esper was also used in some translation of FF5, I might be wrong though.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 01:34:20 pm »
Am I the only one calling phantom beasts "Mystic Creatures" or even "Mystics" for short? I've always been puzzled about this whole "phantom" thing, since they are not lit. phantoms anyway. :huh:
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.