News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom final release  (Read 10807 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom final release
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:52:29 pm »

Update By: puzzledude

After starting this project in early 2010, it has finally come to its end. I've decided to work on it one last time and came up with the very final version 3-0. At first I was lacking some technical knowledge to fix certain things, but now I could go back to my previous problems and I could solve them all. In the global room net, that I didn't do before, I've seen some empty space, so I've decided to expand the game further.

Two brand new big dungeons were added (tomb dungeon and ice dungeon), Ganon got his tower, one more big darkworld area was added. I could also add one more semi dungeon and expand the MoonPearl dungeon. Some other things were updated also: monologues, exits and entrances, indoor blocksets, village, overworld drawings. All dungeons were reviewed and updated. I've also updated the ending sequence. This is a lot of work, since I had to rewrite all dungeon names in hex.

All together working on this project was sometimes fun, sometimes tedious, because I was learning more and more, so I could update the game over and over. I'm just glad I can finally close the work on this game for good.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfrpsKTGJWo)

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
Re: ROM Hacks: Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom final release
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:56:29 pm »
There's a problem with the zip file.  I can't extract anything.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:04:37 pm »
It opens fine for me in WinRAR.
Mauron wuz here.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 03:55:02 pm »
Ive heard that one before. This is a standard zip file made with standard zip program and can be unzipped in a normal way, so I dont have a clue why so many players have problems. So here's the ips directly.

Ips directly
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=3991

Read me file directly
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=3993

Many players also have problems with patching. Always read the txt before playing.
The original smc file must be the exact same one that Ive used to make the ips.
The ironic thing is, that if you patch to the wrong file, the game will open, but bugged,
since your rom will be corrupted. Remember, if you do all things correctly, you will not
have any bugs.

mloloya1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:08:59 pm »
I understand this might be the wrong place to ask this....; however, for the life of me I cannot figure out what is going on in this room....can someone help?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/roomiamstuck.jpg/

And the hack so far is amazing.. thank you  for the time you took to do this.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »
You need to do a special trick, that Ive invented (you need a quake medalion from the cave north of the graveyard).

Watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcbzP-hI-E8

mloloya1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:14:13 pm »
Thanks for the answer puzzledude.  And wow.. not only am I genuinely impressed at the puzzle/trick you created...but also a big bow towards those who manage to figure this one out on their own.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:44:22 pm »
It's a neat puzzle, but without any hints, how do you expect any player will ever get the solution on his own?
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 02:15:56 am »
Yeah...I'm with KaioShin. Trial-and-error puzzles are not clever, they're just annoying as hell. Either take it out, or leave a clue. Your choice.

Hint: The original was kind enough to put a symbol on the ground where you needed to use a medallion.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 06:30:28 am »
-
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:06:10 am by puzzledude »

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 07:12:02 am »
Your ideas are interesting, but dont forget who the author is.

...Speaking as the only person on this damn forum who's willing to say shit everyone else just thinks, this is a brilliant way to piss off people who might otherwise have recommended your work. I was eventually going to get around to trying this hack out, but I don't think I'm going to bother now.

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 09:40:36 am »
Even the original game gave you a hint at how to defeat the final version of Ganon...

It helps to give new ideas people haven't really thought about.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 02:40:12 pm »
Kiyoshi Aman, I dont expect that anyone recommends my stuff, I dont expect anyone to play my stuff. From 2.0 to 3.0 various ideas from other players were taken into consideration and realized, why is this not enough. Why would I change something I decided to do? There's one other guy, who hates the statue pushing puzzle, there are players who hate the old Armos fight from the bottom of their souls, claiming that the design is sick and sadistical. Its really hard to accept someone throwing a "sick design" to your face, while you were working on something for years, struggling through debugging, designing and testing! (despite the fact that the fight really looks unfair). You can hate or like the game, but dont force me to change it (again...). I can however make an unofficial version with the two most hated puzzles being removed.

One more thing, it is the authors right to stick with what he's created (not just romhacking), he can also accept the wishes of others. Why would this piss someone off? You should be joyful, because the romhacking community just gained one more complete Zelda hack to play.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 04:11:32 pm »
Nobody is trying to dictate to you how to design your hack. They merely pointed out an issue that's pretty much guaranteed to frustrate players to the point that they're going to quit playing your hack, and suggested a solution that the original game employed in a similar puzzle. It is entirely up to you whether you accept that suggestion or not.

What I took offense to, however, was the way you phrased your reminder that you are the author of the hack (as well as the fact that you felt it necessary to remind us). Here's the thing, though: I don't care. The depths to which I don't care are unfathomable, even.

You have a problem. You should fix it. These kind people have suggested ways for you to do so.

(EDIT: I feel I should point out that it's the issue that was raised which has made me reconsider my intention to play the hack far more than your response both to the suggestions on how to fix the issue and my criticism thereof. I apologise if it sounded otherwise.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:22:26 pm by Kiyoshi Aman »

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 04:16:39 pm »
another way to interpret that comment is "a hack by puzzledude is going to be puzzle-intensive, truth in advertising and all".

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 04:24:54 pm »
another way to interpret that comment is "a hack by puzzledude is going to be puzzle-intensive, truth in advertising and all".

While this is true, there are undoubtedly better ways of saying this without potentially being misinterpreted. (I probably could've handled it better myself, too, and for that I must say mea culpa.)