News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Super Mario Bros Rebirth: a new SMB1 complete level hack is out now!  (Read 14592 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Remz

Watch Super Mario Bros Rebirth "trailer"

I'm happy to announce the release of "Super Mario Bros Rebirth" a complete SMB1 level hack that features 8 new wonderful worlds:

• Mushroom Kingdom
  • Battlefield
  • Ice Land
  • Cave World
  • Water World
  • Pipe Land
  • Flying Fish World
  • Sky Land

If you like SMB, why not give it a try! You can even play it online at smbr.remz.ca!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://smbr.remz.ca)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
I like how you can try the game out online without downloading it... Buuuut I hate how I saw pretty much every enemy that is in the overworld stages in the first stage. The first stage didn't feel very hard, but at the same time, it felt SMB2 (Japan) hard... Which to me, says "this game is only for people who can beat SMB1 with their eyes close and think SMB2 is an easy game". :/ I have no true skill for SMB.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
Hard? Or brutally abusing the SMB physics? Because I found SMB2 did the latter & wasn't fun because of it. :-\
And I'll leave it at that!

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Hard? Or brutally abusing the SMB physics? Because I found SMB2 did the latter & wasn't fun because of it. :-\

From what little I played, it just seemed like "Hard"... But when you practically see every enemy in the game in the first level, that makes my head scratch a bit making me think "This will only get harder or boring from here on out". Definitely a challenge hack that's geared for SMB fanatics.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
That java emulator has the worst key mappings I've ever seen.  Not everyone has a numpad on their laptop.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

remzlab

• View Profile
That java emulator has the worst key mappings I've ever seen.  Not everyone has a numpad on their laptop.
Hi, personnally, I like the mapping because you control the arrows with your left hand, but I think I'll remap it to something like a,s,x,z for arrows and some letters for buttons. I just though people would hate having letters for arrows. Do you have any suggestion? Thanks for your comment.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Use WASD and the cursor keys for the D-Pad. Enter and Shift should be Start and Select. Z and X are obvious choices for B and A, though there should also be opposite-hand equivalents for those who prefer WASD over the cursor keys.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
If you're using WASD for movement, doesn't make sense to use Z and X for the A and B Buttons since you'd have everything all bunched up together. Something on the right side of the keyboard?

Just tried that... world 1-2. At the mid-point Mario spawns on top of a pit. Bad. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
I personally prefer A and S for B and A respectively, as some keyboards have issues with Z, X, and arrow keys being pressed at the same time. But as KingMike says, if you're using WASD for movement, that doesn't make much sense, and neither does Z/X.

remzlab

• View Profile
I changed the config to W,A,S,D for movement N,M for buttons, and Shift, Enter for select start.

http:smbr.remz.ca

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
If you're using WASD for movement, doesn't make sense to use Z and X for the A and B Buttons since you'd have everything all bunched up together. Something on the right side of the keyboard?

That's what I meant. If you're using the cursor keys, use Z and X for A and B (or vice-versa); if you're using WASD, put them on the right side (N and M aren't bad, but I think the comma and period keys would feel a bit more "open").
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

remzlab

• View Profile
N and M aren't bad, but I think the comma and period keys would feel a bit more "open".
Yea I agree but I wanted to save some space to map a controller 2 D-pad to the arrow keys (with the left hand).

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
Personally, I use Arrow Keys for directions, Left Shift for B, and Z for A.  I would use Z and X, but my laptop has a low number of allowed simultaneous key presses.  Left Shift is exempt from that.  My keystroke limit is so bad, I can't do sliding crouches in SMB1 without mapping B to Left Shift.

The best key mapping is a button that lets the users configure the keys.  That way everyone's happy.  LoopyNES had a good user interface for the key mapper, it just asked you to press each button, and that's good enough.  No textboxes to click on and type into, nothing like that.  Just make them press all 8 buttons, and clearly display which one you're asking for.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

kass

• Yabba Dabba Doo
    • View Profile
My virus protection(kaspersky) keeps preventing me from downloading this. Anywhere else I can download this?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
My virus protection(kaspersky) keeps preventing me from downloading this. Anywhere else I can download this?
If I read that correctly, Kaspersky will prevent you from downloading it regardless of where you try to download it from, in which case you'll need to fix your settings in Kaspersky.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Tito Santana

• View Profile
It is smbfix that causes false positive in a few antivirusing programs says virustotal. Why author put this and lunarips in his zip file when they aren't his programs?

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
Because he wanted to make sure people could play his hack.

I would highly recommend removing Kaspersky in favour of Microsoft's Security Essentials—it's extremely low-footprint relative to everyone else in the AV industry and it does its job extremely well.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
So that new users who don't regularily deal with romhacks have everything they need in one package ready to go. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but the reasons are obvious at least.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

kass

• Yabba Dabba Doo
    • View Profile
Thanks. I paused the protection and everything works fine. The smbfix was what was getting virus alerts.

"Microsoft's Security Essentials"
lol...yeah sure.

Tito Santana

• View Profile
Thanks. I paused the protection and everything works fine. The smbfix was what was getting virus alerts.

"Microsoft's Security Essentials"
lol...yeah sure.

Microsoft Security Essentials do not detect smbfix as a virus, either on my computer or on virustotal.