News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water Translation Finished  (Read 17513 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: KingMike

Today I have released a translation patch for Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water for the Genesis/MD.
The game is an adventure game, the gameplay revolves around reading the story and solving puzzles.

Translated by Eien Ni Hen, it took me a couple years to work on my Sega Genesis hacking skills (as much as CBS probably doesn't care) to complete it.
This translation uses the console/emu region settings to run in English when set to USA mode. Otherwise it will display the original Japanese text/graphics.

I hope everyone enjoys it.

(Thanks to RHDN for help uploading this, as my site is down at the moment.)

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://kingmike.emuxhaven.net)

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
Re: Translations: Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water Translation Finished
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:15:29 pm »
KingMike, I believe Regen is currently the most accurate emulator (and best for development and hacking, in my opinion). So you might wanna try that out to see if you can verify or debunk your buggy screens. :)
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:41:05 pm »
Great, now I feel sad because I'm still a far way from finish my NES Nadia hack. :'(

Stupid math class. :-\
And I'll leave it at that!

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:06:21 am »
So great to see another Genesis RPG translated!  Thanks!!  :thumbsup:

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:14:45 am »
One of my favorite hackers + one of my favorite translators = results that have got to be great! Congrats on the release. This one has grabbed my interest. I will be trying it out! :)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 09:02:18 am »
Thanks, this looks like a fun game  :thumbsup:

ded302

• View Profile
    • Earthtale Studios
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 11:08:25 am »
Good job.
Completed projects are Bloody Warriors and Shinsenden.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20:30 pm »
Finally it was a long way, now I have to wait for Surging Aura.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 08:02:54 pm »
I guess the problem is with the assembler I used to write the code. Perhaps using SNASM68K wasn't the best choice?
According to Sega-16, I guess I have some memory alignment issues to work out.

Biggest thing seems to be the region-check register.
MOVE ($A10001),D0
Assembler seems to default to word access. Can be fixed by doing a find and replace "30 39 00 A1 00 01", change the 30 to 10. In fact, any instruction after $114000 referencing the region register (00 A1 00 01) should be changed so the first hex digit in that hex string is a 1.
That will get the game to boot in Regen and the menu works (though you'll need to use passwords to skip the first chapter. I guess there's an error I need to find in that code).

However, that won't fix the game crashing when loading the "City of Paris, 1889" screen in chapter 1.
Odd, all I did was hijack the original compressed data pointer and replace the pointer with pointers to the English compressed data, jumping back to the game's original code and let it do the decompression work.
Other graphics blocks (such as the font and the ending screen) work fine in Regen.

Taking a closer look at the files that didn't load correctly, I noticed they were also the only decompressed files that were odd sizes. So I crack open the hex editor and pad them to even sizes, recompress into the ROM and BINGO!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:58:43 pm by KingMike »
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

agostinhobaroners

• View Profile
    • Barone's Hacking Corner
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 08:27:04 pm »
KingMike,

I was more than happy when I saw a thread about this translation on Sega-16... However, I've tried to run it on my Japanese Mega Drive model 1 using an Everdrive MD and then I got nothing... :(
I thought the password system was not working (according to the translation patch page) but later I realized that you just dropped the Japanese system, so no problem at all about that IMO.
But, if you could fix the instructions that make the game crashes on real hardware, I would thank you for the rest of my life.

I think the hardest part of the job you have already done, so I just wish that you can have enough time/resources to fix it...
Anyway, I just wanna say THANK YOU for picking such an obscure (and great) game and making this GREAT effort.
The script (on emulation) is perfect AFAIK.

If you need any help about testing it on real hardware, please, just let me know.

Best regards,

Agostinho
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:37:46 pm by agostinhobaroners »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »
I replaced the encrypted Japanese passwords with encrypted English passwords.
If you use the Japanese characters on the same positions as the correct English characters, it should work.

Here's an updated IPS patch that gets it working on Regen, which is supposedly more accurate than the other emulators I used to test.
I fixed the MOVE instructions in my assembler to specifically state "byte" access mode. And also fixes the compressed graphics so they all have even de-compressed sizes, which appears to have been the issue before.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G1ZWWXHC

Broken screens fixed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:19:08 pm by KingMike »

agostinhobaroners

• View Profile
    • Barone's Hacking Corner
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 10:59:10 pm »
Hey! You are a nice guy, ya know that?!

Thaaank you! Just went trough the first chapter on my Japanese Mega Drive model 1 using Everdrive MD with NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM!!!

People will go crazy now! Such a nice little game!

Really, thank you! ;D

heratio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »

Is Surging Aura being translated to English?  I only remember hearing about a French version I think.

As for Nadia, its definitely a lot different than I thought going in, the world reminds me of that DS RPG Nostalgia but the gameplay seems more like a King's Quest for consoles.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 08:50:20 am »
I played an hour or two of this yesterday. While the translation is fine (I did find myself wishing for more text to fit in each window), I don't know that I can take the game play. The story was pretty flat for awhile too, until you ran away from the circus. After excessive back and forth fetch quests to get that far, then the game throws me in excessive blind caverns. I get a little circle light, running around over and over and over, with lame design and puzzles. Does the story or game play pick up much later on? The game itself just seems half-baked all around. It's funny because is many games I feel like combat gets in the way of my enjoyment, but this game could probably actually use some.   :-\

The cut scenes are very nice though. :)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 09:12:32 am »

Indeed, though my greatest wish for a Megadrive translation is Vixen 357.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 12:29:38 pm »
Will certainly give this a try at some point.  Congrats on finishing this!
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 02:19:29 pm »
thanks for showing the sega some love to its true fans

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 04:00:12 pm »
Here's an updated IPS patch that gets it working on Regen, which is supposedly more accurate than the other emulators I used to test.
I fixed the MOVE instructions in my assembler to specifically state "byte" access mode.

Doesn't the assembler you used have the byte/word/long dot operators like most standard 68k assemblers? I.e. MOVE.b ($A10001),D0 to force a byte operation. If you don't specify a specific operand/chunk size, then the assembler just defaults to whatever. Funny, I thought there was a thread specifically addressing this issue, a number of months back (6-8) in one of the other area of the forums. Or rather, accessing odd memory addresses in unaligned offsets (non byte) on the 68000 and relative to Genesis hacking. I personally don't care for snasm68k for hacking Genesis stuff. It has problems over writing already defined ORG addresses. The only assembler I could find that specifically allows this for 68k, was ASL (http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/as/). Include the original rom as a binary at the start, and just define ORG points to reassemble over. No injection or copy/pasting assembled binary code back in the rom. Clean, organized, and easy to keep track of all changes (whether opcodes or replacement data defines). But I'm rambling, sorry.

Btw, great work ;D  Any chance of more Genesis projects in the future?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 05:37:42 pm »
It does allow defining byte/word/longword, it seems it assumes word access if you don't specify. I forgot to check that.

Might have been the time I had been working on the pointer-redirection routine, wondering why it was failing and it was about a week later somebody pointed out the memory alignment issue. :)

No other projects planned right now. Still got a big plate of others to finish.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 05:42:54 pm »
I'm surprised no one has tackled Zero Wing yet being that there is only an intro to do. I might get to it in a few years if no one does it in the meantime.