News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Loading nsf files into FF1 (and general questions)  (Read 4856 times)

Nemo Marx

• View Profile
Loading nsf files into FF1 (and general questions)
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:47:32 pm »
I was hoping  I could get in touch with you guys in respects that you might be able to point me into some directions as to coping over the original nsf files in the game and replaces them with some of our own. I'm concerned with how tricky this might be. My friend who's working on the music, said he did a little research into FF1 and said he's not sure if it can be done with FamiTracker, so he's not sure how he can upload his own music. 

If it wouldn't be too much trouble from one of your more experienced users to show us the path, we would be more than happy to share with the rest of your community some of our talents in the near future. I apologize in advance if this is a frequently asked question, I'm not new to the site exactly, I've lurked for a while collecting tools and skimming through topics, but from what I gather, I've had some trouble answering this question on my own throughout the typical internet resources.

As for me personally, I'm going to be the sprite artist, and for the most part I'll be using FFHackster to manipulate the game, I should be able to do just about everything I want with the Tools, but I'm concerned I'll have to learn how to do a Hex edit on the title screen, I'll go into detail on my question later on in the thread.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:38:38 pm by Nemo Marx »

Hamtaro126

• I'm Back!
    • View Profile
Re: Loading famitracker nsf files into NES roms (specifically FF1)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »
Try to go to Shiru's Website, or NESDEV, and search for the converter named ''FamiTone''

And if you need it to work, it needs lot of 6502 ASM modification via ROM and RAM, so study wisely!

Oh, and good luck on helping your friend's ROM hack.

EDIT: Link for the main page: http://shiru.untergrund.net/
I Hath Returned...

BTW My username is not Hamtaro129. THAT IS WRONG, Please correct immediately or I will try to correct it myself!

Nemo Marx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:28:00 pm »
Thank you. This is my 2nd attempt to make a serious game. Now that I know the limitations I'm not overwhelmed trying to force my idea's into the game, working along side someone else has been really compromising. I hope one day I'll have something this community may be interested in, and I'll be able to speak from the opposite end of the spectrum, helping out the fresh minds getting into the scene.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 03:34:40 pm »
I doubt this is possible at all. You'd have to completely remove FF1's sound engine and replace it with Famitracker's. This will be possible if and only if :
- Famitracker's driver uses less RAM than FF1's driver
- Famitracker's driver plus your songs takes less ROM than FF1's driver plus FF1's songs
- The RAM used by Famitracker is completely unused by the rest of the game

Because FF1's driver is extremely basic, while FT is extremely complex I'm pretty sure it will need more ROM AND more RAM.

Then if you can make it that way then yes this will be possible but to be honest I doubt this is possible without rewriting the entiere game (then you'd rather write your own game).

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 04:16:04 pm »
FamiTone is a different driver from FamiTracker. From what I’m led to believe, it’s considerably more lightweight and game-insertable.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Nemo Marx

• View Profile
Re: Loading nsf files into FF1 (and general questions)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:32:40 pm »
As of this point, I'd just like to say thanks for the information, I'll relay the info and it will be put to good use.

I'm going to attempt to recycle the forum topic and stray into another area. I'm curious as to how I'll have to use hexadecimals to change the initial text scroll that appears when you first load the game. Seeing as this is something the FFHackster tool can't touch, I'll have to wander outside and find different ways to manipulate the Rom.  If you could recommend any other tools for the job, I'd appreciate that even more.

Thank you, nice to meet you all, and  thank you in advance for any further discussions, I'm going to poke around and see if i can find any other sort of discussions about FF1 projects. Anyone familiar with the Rom could be a hero.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:42:23 pm by Nemo Marx »

Dragoon ZERO

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • wasteland wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:42:33 am »
I'm curious as to how I'll have to use hexadecimals to change the initial text scroll that appears when you first load the game.

Get WindHex

File
   Open File
      your FF ROM

File
   Open Table File
      the DTETable.tbl that should have been in the archive with FF Hackster

Go to 37F34

At this point you'll probably want to open DTETable.tbl in Notepad or another text editor so you can see the valid DTE (two character) combinations. You'll need to make efficient use of them to fit in any significant amount of text in the space available.

The Final Fantasy message board at GameFAQs may also have some information you'll want. There's at least a handful of regulars there that have dug into the game extensively.

Nemo Marx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:19:39 pm »
Dragoon, you're an Omega Beast.
thank you for that, you're a boss.

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 12:35:27 pm »